Remington filing for bankruptcy?

I only owned 1 Remington firearm. It jammed constantly. Then I sold it.

Good riddance.

I bought 3 Remington left hand long stainless actions the last couple years and all 3 work fine as far as extraction and ejection go. No comments from the smith about how out of true they were.

Last edited:
The bigger question is what fool or fools continued to loan them money when they were already up to their arse in debt? throwing good money after bad or the DJT approach where you threaten to file and then get more cass because the lender wants to protect his investment. Finally when the bank says NO MORE then you file. Cept I believe that he took the tax benefit for losing someone else's money.

Godwin’s addendum.

Just curious what year (or time period) Remington started to lose quality? I have two older Remington 700's that have been great rifles for me. I can't even remember the last time I had an issue with either of them. Was there a certain acquisition/merger at some point that caused quality to decrease?

Just curious what year (or time period) Remington started to lose quality? I have two older Remington 700's that have been great rifles for me. I can't even remember the last time I had an issue with either of them. Was there a certain acquisition/merger at some point that caused quality to decrease?
I’ve heard horror stories, but the Remington 700 I bought this March is outstanding.

I’ve also been fortunate, I bought a 700 in 260 earlier this year and I wouldn’t part with it now. Also have one of those “junker” models with the j-lock that has been nothing but dead on, but probably wouldn’t win any beauty contests.

I have a 700 ADL purchased 1998 that is a really accurate gun. Had the trigger recall performed and it works amazing. Always liked the 870s and wanted a versamax. Sad to see them go downhill.

For those who are Rem fans, it isn't going away. It will continue to operate under the protection of Chapter 11 Bankruptcy and following debt restructuring will be sold to a new owner. Only time will tell if the new owner will be better or worse than the current owner, but hard to imagine it being worse than Cerberus.

Agreed. While I'd hate to see it fall into foreign hands, if they could get purchased by the likes of FN or Beretta, the company could probably get turned around. I remember when Winchester looked like it was going to fall to the wayside, FN came along and turned them around. As long as it doesn't get bought by the Chinese or one of our Mid-East frenemies, I will be happy.

Hopefully whomever buys Remington after this mess will actually have a QC division...maybe they'll split off their smaller arms companies so a Marlin 1895 is a worthwhile rifle.

Totally. QC is part of the culture of a company. If the people at the top don't give a damn, neither will anyone else in the company. Whoever buys them should start with a corporate decapitation of the company i.e. ax all the upper management. They should focus on their core business of manufacturing guns and ammo, and get rid of all the other crap they sell that takes away from that core business. Makes me wonder what will happen to Barnes, which is owned by Remington Outdoors. Hopefully they get sold off to someone like ATK or Olin.

Have several Remington rifles and shotguns, 700's mostly. Never had any trouble with them and when I took my time and worked on a handload for them they shoot tight groups. Hate to see any company go bankrupt but like most said it's probably poor management. A 700 bolt action 308 is a fine shooting rifle for me.

Chapter 11 is a period for reorganization and credit negotiations. It is not a death sentence, and many companies come out much stronger. Nobody knows what the future holds.

I have one from the '50s and I've debated throwing it in the trash several times. It is a garbage mass of metal and wood.

It seems like Remington has lacked an identity or direction for a while.

typical of what happens with investment groups buying a company, load it with debt, suck the life blood out of it as long as you can. Then burn it all down and screw your creditors. Rinse and repeat
Yep. Totally intentional, and should be illegal.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back