Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Remington custom shop barreled actions. $400

I was tempted Bill...
I almost didn’t do it. Frankly there weren’t many deals on the list, but there were a few.

I did okay on the one I got, but it wasn’t a fantastic deal. Stainless, fluted, cerakoted, PT&G bolt, threaded muzzle, already had the reamer. Gonna have about $950 in it. Not terrible. I do wish I’d gone with a longer barrel. Might not keep it either. I was on a light kick with some potential wilderness in my future, but after building two 9lb rifles over the summer, I don’t want to go any lighter than that and now wish the barrel was longer. :(

The one I built as an alternative to the 338Lapua is a 30-06AI. Paid $425 after taxes at Walmart. Sold the barrel, stock, scope and rings for $174 after fees. That’s a black oxide action, bolt, trigger, trigger pins, bolt stop snd action screws for $251. Got a stainless ‘06 take-off barrel free of charge. Already had the ‘06AI reamer to rechamber a Howa Golden Bear to 30-06AI. Lightly used HS stock $200, bottom metal and magazine $150. Rattle can paint already in the garage. $601 total. Shoots 190 VLDs into darn small groups at 2950fps. Gonna Gun Kote it at some point but may wait till I rebarrel. I plan to put a “9 twist barrel on it to shoot the 245 EOL. If you can shoot the 245 EOL from an ‘06AI or Win Mag, there isn’t much reason to shoot a 250gr from a 338Lapua, and I have no interest in hunting with a muzzle break, or attempting to shoot a 300gr bullet without a muzzle break.

On a side note, those bullets highlight the popularity of 6.5mm and 7mm cartridges. You literally have to go up to 215gr to match what a 6.5mm or 7mm will do with 140gr, 156gr, and 180gr bullets, and to match a 7mm 195, you have to go to the 245gr. That’s a lot of recoil.

Last edited:
I dunno guys this red is starting to grow on me. I might just have the whole thing color matched to the shroud and knob.

Stock just showed up today. Forgot I ordered it. Still need a bolt stop, and bottom metal to finish it up, maybe before the end of the year. Easily be sub 6lbs, probably almost an entire pound lighter than my factory mountain in .270.

IMG_20211029_162646942.jpg

I dunno guys this red is starting to grow on me. I might just have the whole thing color matched to the shroud and knob.

Stock just showed up today. Forgot I ordered it. Still need a bolt stop, and bottom metal to finish it up, maybe before the end of the year. Easily be sub 6lbs, probably almost an entire pound lighter than my factory mountain in .270.

View attachment 199949
Red pad...

View attachment 199949
The aluminum knob and shroud definitely save a few ounces, but you’re going to be closing in on the weight of that factory rifle when you add a magazine box, follower, spring, and bottom metal.

For really ultra light, you do the aluminum knob and shroud, aluminum or plastic trigger guard, aluminum or plastic butt plate(instead of recoil pad) and blind magazine(ADL style).

I’m really not a fan of going ultralight though.

I had been going back and forth on grabbing a 300 WM/RUM, and was regretting passing them up until I won a stainless 300 RUM in an auction last night.

Can't wait to see everyone's builds get finished out.

I had been going back and forth on grabbing a 300 WM/RUM, and was regretting passing them up until I won a stainless 300 RUM in an auction last night.

Can't wait to see everyone's builds get finished out.
You know how this works...post it up. This thread is jackproof.

Attachments

• 05A198E6-6D10-44A8-9723-6DED6A2C9761.jpeg
    05A198E6-6D10-44A8-9723-6DED6A2C9761.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 25
  • EA72ED19-9112-4F47-A593-0BCC6CE972D8.jpeg
    EA72ED19-9112-4F47-A593-0BCC6CE972D8.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
Thought I’d put this out there if someone needed parts for a blued long action. Seems like a good deal.

Gunbroker

Last edited:
I’m looking for a factory stainless hinged bottom metal, box, followed and spring if anyone knows of one or has one for sale.

I'll give Stan credit, he's incredibly responsive via email. We shall see.
I was told something quite similar over the phone MONTHS ago, then called two weeks later and was told “I don’t know why you were told that. We have not received any of those from Remington yet”.

That said, I did receive a tracking number yesterday. We’ll see what shows up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back