Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Remington Core Lokt issues - Shooting terribly

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
Could be a Remington ammo quality issue. I was zeroing my kimber last week, and shooting Remington premier scirocco. Had 3 ftf in about 12 rounds attempted. I need to measure, but it looks like the primers were seated too deep. I also had one that hit about six inches high of the group and caused hard bolt lift. Not impressed. After zero, I switched to my nosler trophy grade 180 accubomds. Re zeroed and cut my groups in half or better.

Could be the Kimber. mtmuley

Chalk it up to a rifle liking a certain kind of ammo. Last year I bought five different boxes of factory ammo for my 30'06 to see what it likes. To my surprise, the Core Lokts grouped significantly better than the next best group. Having said that, I'm switching back to a Barnes this year. After finding multiple pieces of lead shrapnel in my processed meat, I decide to switch back to copper.

Could be the Kimber. mtmuley

Thanks for the hint. I'll look the rifle over to see what it is doing to make the primers be seated too deep, and to overcharge rounds. Although, with the Kimber, I wouldn't be surprised.

Thanks for the hint. I'll look the rifle over to see what it is doing to make the primers be seated too deep, and to overcharge rounds. Although, with the Kimber, I wouldn't be surprised.

What leads you to believe the primers are seated too deep? You measure them? Most times they will crush before depth is an issue. mtmuley

Odds are, your firing pin protrusion is shy. Take it to a gunsmith.

I apologize if I'm dragging out some one else's thread. Would firing pin protrusion issues not be consistent? I have shot four different types of ammo in this rifle with no problems other than the Remington stuff. Comparing the rounds that failed to fire to fired rounds, the firing pin strike looks very shallow. I even double tapped them when they failed the first time. I will put a depth gauge on them when I get back in town. I agree with you mtmuley. If the primers were deep enough to cause a ftf, then they should have other problems before then. Maybe Remington had a batch of brass with the primer pockets cut too deep? The overcharged round was what really bothered me. I have hand loaded literally since I was a kid. I have worked up a fair amount loads to max charge, and I do know what that looks and feels like. The Remington round in question was not dangerous (maybe in a kimber:)), but it does tell a lot about the quality control of the ammo.

I have been having a terrible time with these in my .264 win mag and I wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issues. I bought a .264 win mag a couple of years ago with brass and dies and immediately started reloading barnes match ammo 140 grains for practice and swift A-frames 140 grains for hunting I'm pushing both at around 3000-3050fps with 61 grains of IMR 7828 ssc. Both bullets shot flawlessly and at 100 yards I'm shooting 1 MOA which I'm considering good as I'm a relatively new shooter. The swift A frames group slightly left and high of the match grade, so I adjust lightly when I switched ammo.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a couple of boxes of Core Lokts to hunt with and provide me with more brass. Holy crap do they shoot terribly. I went to the range to check and see if they would hit the same as Swift A frames and I didn't hit paper. I was confounded so i moved the target up to 50 yards. First shot was 8 inches high to the left second was 6 low to the right third was Left low... ect... ect... tried a few bullets from each box but after 6 shots I was look at like 20-30 MOA for CoreLokts.

I cleaned my rifle well went back to the range the next day, same results with the Core Lokts, switched to Swift A-Frames and put 3 bullets in a hole the size of a nickle.

Also I'm pretty sure it's not the barrel being burnt out I bought the gun from a friend and I know for a fact before I bought it he only but 50-60 rounds through it.

I have heard that some guns like some ammo and not others but this seems a bit ridiculous. Is it possible that this ammo had been sitting on the shelves for 30years and went bad, I'm at a complete loss... I guess I just can't shoot factory ammo out of my gun, since pretty much nobody carries ammo in this caliber.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...-hunting-vld-hollow-point-boat-tail-box-of-20

Have you tried HSM ammo?

I apologize if I'm dragging out some one else's thread. Would firing pin protrusion issues not be consistent? I have shot four different types of ammo in this rifle with no problems other than the Remington stuff. Comparing the rounds that failed to fire to fired rounds, the firing pin strike looks very shallow. I even double tapped them when they failed the first time. I will put a depth gauge on them when I get back in town. I agree with you mtmuley. If the primers were deep enough to cause a ftf, then they should have other problems before then. Maybe Remington had a batch of brass with the primer pockets cut too deep? The overcharged round was what really bothered me. I have hand loaded literally since I was a kid. I have worked up a fair amount loads to max charge, and I do know what that looks and feels like. The Remington round in question was not dangerous (maybe in a kimber:)), but it does tell a lot about the quality control of the ammo.

From someone else who has had issues with a Kimber 8400 and it's firing pin/firing pin hole/bolt face. TAKE IT TO A SMITH JUST TO BE SURE. It could be an ammo issue, but at this point, I would not rule out a firing pin issue. If Remington was seating the primers a bit deep, and possibly, they were just hard primers, it could brew inconsistencies within the ignition of the ammo. Secondly, if the firing pin is short it can affect how the case head sits on the bolt face, and thusly the shoulder to the front of the chamber. I would flatten primers and have rather sticky extraction on w/ factory ammo because of issues with the rifle. PM me for details if you would like.

I looked at this but given that it's loaded 350 fps slower than I'm getting with handloads I'm not really interested, also given that I'm primarily hunting mule deer and elk with this gun and it's small caliber (relatively) I'm not going anywhere near a hollow. Further, who wants lead sprayed all over there meat, berger says there bullet will shed up to 85% of it's mass meaning there is crap throughout the front portion of your animal, meanwhile Swift has 95% weight retention.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cityslicker
Back