Remington Core-Lokt for Pronghorns

CarsonSmithElkHunter

Hello everyone, I am putting in for Antelope this year in Wyoming, and I am wondering which one of my guns would be the best, and what ammo I should use. My Grandpa has told me that all he has used in all of his years hunting, have been Remington Core-Lokts, in a 30-06. I own a 30-06, .300 win mag, .300 savage, and a 7mm remington. I am just wondering what your thoughts were on which caliber, and what ammo to use. Thanks

uh6ox.jpg

The ammunition is more than capable. however be aware that Corelokts aren’t the sleekest bullet out there and antelope shots can be longer range so you need to know the ballistics of the ammunition and what it’s doing further down range

All those cartridges will kill an antelope, use the one you shoot best out to 300y. as for bullet, I am a big fan of Barnes TTSX. A lot of guys on HT like accubond. But as with cartridge, antelope are not that hard to kill.

You're asking for trouble when you look for opinions on weapon size, bullet grain, optics.. etc. Bottom line is that if you can outsmart an animals sense of sight, smell and sound, you can almost kill them with a rock (bow hunter here). If not, you'll take wild shots at long distances and be erratic. This past season in Idaho, I had been hiking into my spot for about an hour when I heard the first shot. Thirty six (YES.. THIRTY SIX) shots later I see four different dumb asses on top of a ridge slinging bullets across the canyon side I was on. Bottom line, you have to be PROFICIENT with anything you hunt with, make that your goal.

Antelope aren't hard to kill especially if you can outsmart their senses. Will Core-lokts work...of course they will. Is there a better bullet...of course there is.

Choose the most accurate rifle that fits you the best and use it. Being proficient with your rifle is more important that bullet selection for antelope.

Personally, I'd stay away from the Yellow and Green box ammo as there are so many better options. If cost is an issue then I think Federal Fusion or even Federal blue box non-lead is a better option for the cost. I'm a fan of non-lead bullets for hunting and realistically not that much more in cost.

In that price point I would go with Federal Fusions. I've killed elk, deer, and antelope with them out of my 30-06. There's a definite performance drop off at 200 yards and beyond with the core lokts. I liked the fusions so much I shot them out of my 25-06 antelope rifle before I started loading for it. I still shoot them in my .308. You won't be disappointed with them.

Any of your rifles would work certainly. I am partial to the 30-06 and the 7mm of the ones you listed. The real answer is probably which one you shoot the best and enjoy carrying the best or have most sentimental value in it. If you don't reload some 165 gr. Nosler Accubonds (Winchester/Federal/Nosler) in the 30-06 and 140 or 160 gr. Nosler in the 7mm sure would work well. Same bullet weights and same bullets if you reload also.

Antelope are a lot of fun to hunt and eating them is one of the best game meats I've had. Love antelope meat. Take care of it well and you will be amazed.

I've used Core-Lokt ammo in both .270 in 130 gr bullets and a 7mm RM with 150 grain bullets with fantastic results. There is no need for a "premium" bullet of any kind for antelope. Antelope are not tough at all.
My first buck was just over 400 yards with the 7mm and all of them afterwards have been much closer. The closest being maybe 60 yards with the .270. The antelope never knew the difference.

(Not proud of this) but I’ve killed an antelope with expandables that wouldn’t open and a pocket knife. The core lokt out of a 30 cal rifle will do the trick.

I don't think that I've ever shot a Core Lokt bullet but thousands of deer and antelope are killed with them every year. I shot my first 10 or so antelope with a .30-06 or .308 Win shooting 150 grain Sierra GameKing bullets which were Sierra's version of Remington's Core Lokts. Since about 1980 I've shot most of my antelope with 115-120 grain Nosler BT, Sierra GameKing or Hornady HP bullets from my .257 Ackley.

Pronghorn antelope are not that hard to kill, and bullet placement is more important than bullet size or make. They definitely don't require premium bullets or magnum rifles. In the almost 50 years that I've been hunting antelope I've only shot one at over 300 yards, and one time my young son and I, wearing our pumpkin vests and with my golden retriever next to me, were sitting in the sagebrush and had 5 or 6 antelope, including a 12-13" buck, walk by us no more than 20 yards away.

There are hunters that have killed a fricken ton of deer and antelope with plain old cap and core bullets (Remington CL, Hornady SP, etc.). They will continue to do so.

Be a hunter. Find a way to get within 200 yards of an antelope and put a bullet through the lungs and you will be able to "notch your license" with little fan fare. However, if you start lobbing rounds from waaaay too far and knock a leg off, you are in for a chase (and probably some disappointment).

Don't overthink this.

ClearCreek

My 7mm liked the core lokt plus I didn’t get the big muzzle lift after the shot so I could keep the animal in the scope. I went to those after the ballistic silver tips went from 25 a box to to 42 and my muzzle lift was outrageous this is my opinion only. But again the silver tips were damaging on all the white tails I’ve shot. Usually DRT. Kinda a tightwadBut knowing what I do know I went with Berger VLD. Way more accurate. Bought two boxes of nosler and can’t wait to try those. Why? Because they are recommended by a lot of more experienced western hunters.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back