Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Remington 700 bolt hard to push down

Just an FYI -

Last night, I switched out the OEM firing pin assembly/bolt shroud on a Remington 700 for a complete Tubbs Speedlock firing pin assembly. The main reason for the switch was to cut 2.2 ounces on what I am hoping will become a lighter weight rifle. Bolt lift/closure effort increased dramatically. It was especially bad after dry firing. I am also swapping triggers so I will try it again after that has been done. If it remains heavy, I will likely stick with the OEM assembly.

Just an FYI -

Last night, I switched out the OEM firing pin assembly/bolt shroud on a Remington 700 for a complete Tubbs Speedlock firing pin assembly. The main reason for the switch was to cut 2.2 ounces on what I am hoping will become a lighter weight rifle. Bolt lift/closure effort increased dramatically. It was especially bad after dry firing. I am also swapping triggers so I will try it again after that has been done. If it remains heavy, I will likely stick with the OEM assembly.
Ope. That’s no good. Let me know how the trigger change affects it

The issue was solved when I swapped the triggers on my two 700s, but it doesn’t do it on the 7-08 like it did on the 280 so idfk.

Anyways I took the stock off the 280 to change the trigger obviously and realized I did an ugly job on the bedding so here I am, once again, bedding this thing — this time with JB Weld since it’s cheap and good.

08784499-EE0E-4FE1-8950-8C7041A21EF1.jpeg

I just quickly read through the thread so may have missed something.

Sounds to me like you may have excessive @#)(# on close with your cocking piece/trigger combination. Look at how far cocking piece protrudes from your bolt shroud prior to pushing the bolt down into battery and then afterwards. If that increases then you are compressing the firing pin spring as you move the bolt handle down.

My understanding is that most Rem 700 actions will have a bit of @#)(# on close. Some aftermarket actions come with different hangars so the end user can adjust this and some custom action manufacturers offer different cocking pieces to attain the same with the user's prefered trigger.

ETA: @#)(# = C O C K

Last edited:
Didn’t read through all the pages. Did anyone mention bolt nose clearance, or clearance of the FRONT of the locking lugs?Headspace can be fine, and still have inadequate bolt nose clearance.

Last edited:
Didn’t read through all the pages. Did anyone mention bolt nose clearance? Headspace can be fine, and still have inadequate bolt nose clearance.
Yes, I’d suggested it.

ETA- that was why I suggested he try a different bolt for fit, not necessarily for function.

Last edited:
Yes, I’d suggested it.

ETA- that was why I suggested he try a different bolt for fit, not necessarily for function.
Wouldn’t have to be the bolt. It’s obviously not a factory barrel. If the recess in the barrel isn’t deep enough, swapping bolts won’t help.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back