MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Remington 11-87 12ga Help

TexAg09

Hey Y'all, I have a Remington 11-87 12ga shotgun, and have started having issues where the third shell will stay stuck in the magazine. It won't feed into the chamber when I'm shooting or when cycling it manually to unload the gun. I have taken the gun apart to get the shell out twice, and it won't have the issue right away, but after a couple of full cycles through three shells it will start to not feed the third shell again, leaving it stuck in the magazine. This has happened with both 3" and 2 3/4" shells. My gun will not take 3 1/2" shells. Any ideas what this could be, or how to fix it? I appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited:
I have one, and haven't had this happen. First thought was maybe the spring is weak or catching on something? Not a gunsmith so I'm just guessing.

I have one too, but have never had that happen. Is it oiled enough? Maybe too much? Once I over oiled and was having problems because it was freezing when hunting ducks in the winter. Sorry, I'm not much help.

It's lightly oiled in my opinion (but could be wrong). I've checked the spring and plug for issues and haven't found any issues that stand out. The spring has a good bit of tension, and you have to be careful with disassembly because it will fly out if your not careful. The spring was my first thought.

I had to replace the metal gas piston ring/seal on my 11-87 for a similar issue. Mine was not cycling the 2nd round.

Had a similar issue with mine. First make sure the gas ports are clean, replace the oring seals.....then replace BOTH the magazine spring and the recoil spring. When one spring goes weak, they both do. When I got my replacement springs from Brownells, both new springs were 3" longer than the ones I took out. Problem went away. Think I spent about $30 total.

Had a similar issue with mine. First make sure the gas ports are clean, replace the oring seals.....then replace BOTH the magazine spring and the recoil spring. When one spring goes weak, they both do. When I got my replacement springs from Brownells, both new springs were 3" longer than the ones I took out. Problem went away. Think I spent about $30 total.

This. Probably blocked ports or worn o-rings, but new springs are cheap for those guns. May want to throw an extractor in there while its apart. High failure rate there too.

If you take the plug out and put in 4 or 5 shells does it still not load the third shell. If its always the last shell then my bet is the spring needs replaced.

It's not a gas issue. It's your springs. Replace the follower while you're at it. Cheap parts and an easy fix.

Buy. The Remington 870/ 1100-11-87 Shop Mannual by Jerry Kuhnhausen
Buy your parts up from Remington direct they have the best prices and are on sale a couple times a year for 25% off pick up a couple spare parts like action spring and replace when shorter than 14 1/2 inches and a magazine follower like yours that is worn out. Your magazine spring is fine but you can change it there less than $5 from Remington, as is magazine follower and action springs.

Google has full rebuild specs.I pulled the spring and streched it WAAAY far.
Re-installed .Problem solved.:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back