Remage Rifles???

wisconsinteacher

After doing some reading about the Rem 700 I found out I can put on a pre-fit barrel. Years ago, I did this with a Savage action and now have great shooting 6mmBR. I still have my Savage nut wrench but no other tools. If I were to put on a new barrel, what tools would I need to get/rent/borrow? Thanks

go and no go gauges, anti seize, torque wrench, though not 100% necessary (strong recommendations to have available) an action wrench will be helpful as well as a barrel vise if things are tight. A recoil lug alignment tool may speed the process too.

Assorted tools to make room in some stocks for the barrel nut

Last edited:
An action wrench, barrel vise to remove the old barrel. A go gauge at least. You can put a layer or 2 of scotch tape on the end of the go gauge to use as a no go gauge.

Will the action wrech that I used 7-8 years ago with my Savage build work with the Rem 700 action? I got it from Northland when I did my last project.

I understand mtmuley, but if it allows me to have an accurate rifle, then it is okay. I just won't put the gun in any hero shots with dead deer!!!

Will the action wrech that I used 7-8 years ago with my Savage build work with the Rem 700 action? I got it from Northland when I did my last project.
Generally, yes it'll work. You'll have to confirm with whatever company you buy from because there are different designs.

As stated above, go and no-go gauges are a must. The prefit barrel I got (Oregon Mountain Rifles) you can tighten with a standard adjustable wrench. No left handed, metric adjustable wrench needed.

If this is an older Rem 700 that has original barrel be prepared to use additional means (pipe wrench) to hold barrel in barrel vise. Most barrel vises are straight taper and sporter 700 barrels are very difficult to hold securely when removing the action. Prefit barrels work well on 700s.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back