Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Rem mountain rifle vs Kimber montana

I've put together pretty hot loads of 120, 140 and 168gr bullets in my wifes 7x57 (ballistic twin of the 7-08) and it is a dream to shoot, and she loves it too. My 30-06 M70 FWT is the hardest recoiling in rifle I own.

Thanks young you've been a huge help. I have heard that sako isn't the most reliable either. Or is the sako and kimber problems just some b.s. I just never know what to beleive anymore! Do you guys think that the new stock and gunsmithing would be the better option. I realize it won't be cheaper, but maybe it will be worth it.

My local shop and another chat forum both had some pretty bad stories about customer service with things I would call manufacturing problems. I can't verify if any of it was true. Was just shocked to hear complaints about sako and kimber. Hearing complaints about what I have always believed were the upper echelon makes my head spin. If they don't make good rifles who the hell does! Was not trying to insult anybodys preferences just puzzled by what I was reading and being told. What experience have you had with sako, schmalts?

I've never heard anything bad about Sakos, they don't tickle my fancy, but that's just personal preference. There certainly has been chatter about the Kimbers, but there's too many gun nuts out there that love to tinker and they figured out the problem. I'm sure a lot of guys picked up Montanas for a song when negative chatter was pretty rampant a couple years ago. There's a thread on 24hourcampfire that goes through the issues, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Bottom line to me though, a 260, 7-08 or 308 in a 6lb package is the cats ass for kill anything in the mountains out west.

Bottom line to me though, a 260, 7-08 or 308 in a 6lb package is the cats ass for kill anything in the mountains out west.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that's the kind of stuff I need. I really appreciate all your help!

I love talking guns and I love both the montana and the mountain...also trying to convince you to keep the 7-08 because you can see by my signature that I don't have one and I'm a sucker for 7s. ;)

Right now I am favoring restocking and accurizing what I have. I have always been a remington guy and love the 7 08. I cant think of a better all around cartridge from my point of view. This is subject to change on vert short notice. I think improving on what I have may be the best option but not the cheapest. I don't think I will regret making the gun more accurate and fitting me better.

VAspeedgoat;2402204What experience have you had with sako said:
I was one of the unfortunate ones who had a Kimber that would not shoot or feed well. I replaced it with a Sako 85 (2 oz more) and the first load I tried held .750 groups, almost boring. The stock of the 85 sucks, but man it sure shoots and feeds nice.
At the time Kimber stood behind a .750 three shot group @50 yards. Sako stood behind a 5 shot 1" group @100 yards.
I have 2 Sakos and another custom made by Magnum Research built on a Sako action. All of them are sub 1" guns.
I am not trashing any gun, just telling you my own story and am surprised you heard comments of bad Sako guns but it looks like you were hearing it from a gun counter person instead of a forum where many could chime in.

Hey Young, maybe I could just trade for one of those. It doesn't take long reading your posts to know they are ready to go! Should be able to get to the shop this week to start the process. Just saw your custom on another thread so I can't hardlt wait!

Schmalts, you are dead right about info at a gun counter. Thats the best part about forums like this one. I think I'm gonna pass on the sako for now but they are on my short list of future purchases.

Any opinions on the afternarket three position safety for remingtons. It sounds god on paper but I can't think of a time the two position I am used to has caused a problem. Thoughts?

I replaced it with a Sako 85 (2 oz more) ...

What Kimber did you have? I've fondled a bunch of those 85s, sure nice rifles, but not as light as a Kimber. Most seem to be about a pound heavier. I'd be interested in a Sako that was of similar weight though. Sweet shooting and handling rifles IMO.

What Kimber did you have? I've fondled a bunch of those 85s, sure nice rifles, but not as light as a Kimber. Most seem to be about a pound heavier. I'd be interested in a Sako that was of similar weight though. Sweet shooting and handling rifles IMO.

I had the 8400 Montana. Advertised 6 pounds 3 oz
Sako 85 finnlight Advertised 6.4Lbs

I put both guns on a scale and came up with 2oz difference on mine but I know they can vary.

I had the 8400 Montana. Advertised 6 pounds 3 oz
Sako 85 finnlight Advertised 6.4Lbs

I put both guns on a scale and came up with 2oz difference on mine but I know they can vary.

Thanks. I didn't realize they were that close in weight. Don't think there is anyone out there that can touch the M84 Montanas in a std short action. They're almost too light

I can tell you Sako customer service is shit... I had a stainless Hunter that I sold after trying to deal with their customer service. Their book said I needed a custom bit to adjust the trigger so instead of trying something different and damaging it I called and asked for the tool, they told me to go buy a tool kit somewhere. I just bought a $1700 rifle and you can't cough up a .50 part!! I thought maybe I had a bad person so I tried a few other ways to contact them, that was two years ago and they still haven't returned repeated phone calls and emails.. I lost scope caps on a Zeiss and called and told them I lost them and ask where I can purchase more... She sent out two pairs no questions asked, browning sent out a new choke wrench because I had the wrong one... Po sold it and bought a Forbes and I don't miss that gun one bit

Thanks, after this thread started I ended up having a custom rifle built on the 700 action. It will be in 7-08 with a 23 in. fluted barrel. It will have a carbon fiber stock and a green and black paint job. I will definitely be posting pics when its done. On top I'm puting a leupold vx-r with a tmr reticle. I am having the target turret taken off and puting an extra erector spring put on. I settled on the calliber verses a 284 or an ackley improved version for sheer laziness if I quit reloading.

As I recall when Rem first introduced the mountain rifle, the grip and fore end of the stock werre very slim and some people complained that the y were difficult to hold on to. I've had four of them and liked them all. The wrist of the stock was slim and fit my pudgy little short fingers just perfenctly. Not sure what happened if the newer ones are thick in the wrist. Perhaps it's been restocked or perhaps Rem has actually listened to a few complaints and changed the stock. In any event, the McMillan MR stock is much like the older ones and is a joy to hunt with. It would be cheaper than buying a Kimber..

Thanks, after this thread started I ended up having a custom rifle built on the 700 action. It will be in 7-08 with a 23 in. fluted barrel. It will have a carbon fiber stock and a green and black paint job. I will definitely be posting pics when its done. On top I'm puting a leupold vx-r with a tmr reticle. I am having the target turret taken off and puting an extra erector spring put on. I settled on the calliber verses a 284 or an ackley improved version for sheer laziness if I quit reloading.

Looking fwd to pics and a scope review.

For $750, you can go a loooong way into getting a great reloading set up. The 7mm/08 is easy to reload and not really all that picky.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmor19534
Back