Rem 700 mountain ss vs Christenson mesa

That's a big price jump. Why these two? I'd say go with the mountain rifle and with the money you save purchase optics!

I have owned both, and just recently was let down by Remington again, after, against my better judgement, giving them another shot. My dad owns a Rem 700 BDL in 30-06 that is from the 70's. Awesome rifle. Very accurate and reliable weapon and it's well put together. Fast forward to today, I bought a 7mm/08 mtn rifle earlier this spring. Fit was off, trigger was absolute garbage, and the finish on the bottom plate was a joke. It shot ok, but nothing special, especially for the price point. Final straw was I took out to the range last weekend, 3 miss fires. Tried a different ammo 2 more out of ten rounds. I'm sure it was maybe something simple, but I do not have time to mess with it. Rifle either works for me, or their gone. 3 years ago I bought a Rem 700 in .308 from a local store here at a great price. Fit and finish were ok, shot ok. One day in the garage while cleaning it, I had oiled the bolt and was working the action, I didn't notice it at first, but the firing pin dropped while cycling the bolt. Took me a min to realize what happened. I then worked the action 22 times and it did it again. I was able to repeat this every 22 to 25 cycles of the bolt. That rifle was gone to a local gunsmith, at another loss, with full disclosure, who was going to go through it and try and do something with it. Just do a simple google search and you will see hundreds of threads on the crap Remington is producing.

I love the 700 action, and what it once was. You can't beat it for availability of parts and reliability. I just don't trust Remington to make it anymore. That being said the CA Mesa is a great rifle, at a more than fair price. I have had zero issues with mine, and had it out for 4 seasons now. It's my go to rifle for everything. I shoot .5 MOA with Eld-x handloads. Also, I was impressed how when you call them you talk to an actual human that will answer any questions or comments that you have.

Either way, good luck your decision.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back