Rem 700 excessive brass on bolt

WyOpitz

I was out breaking in my barrel on my new 700 and noticed this after about 10 shots. I've never had a rifle leave this much brass residue on the bolt face as well as the side of the bolt. Is this normal or do I need to take this to a gunsmith? The line of brass on the side looks like the pressure from the chamber is blowing the brass residue backwards and I may not be getting a good seal on the chamber. Maybe I need my action trued?

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG0384-1.jpg
    IMAG0384-1.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,041
  • IMAG0381-1.jpg
    IMAG0381-1.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,030
THe only times I've ever had that much brass on the bolt face, the loads were way over pressure for my rifle. I dropped the loads down a bit and it not only shot better but it also shot cleaner. WHat caliber are you shooting and what brand ot ammo?

THe only times I've ever had that much brass on the bolt face, the loads were way over pressure for my rifle. I dropped the loads down a bit and it not only shot better but it also shot cleaner. WHat caliber are you shooting and what brand ot ammo?

This.

Looks like it could be excessive pressure. Maybe even poor headspacing?

This is a custom job on the bolt, right? Wonder if something torqued the bolt a little and messed it up?

Curious. A smith should be able to diagnose and get it fixed with out much effort I would hope.

I was using factory remington core-loks, and kampfeld custom fluted and skelotonized the bolt.

Did it do this before you had the bolt customized, or is this the first time you've shot it? I'm with Ben, in leaning towards poor headspacing.

Are you feeding out of the mag? Could the line be from the bolt "scraping" along a case that is in the mag?

The bolt face does seem to indicate pressure or funky brass....doesn't make sense though that a factory load has excessive pressure as they are typically pretty conservative.

Would be surprised about pressure, do any of the spent primers bulge out. I've sold thousands of new Rems, have looked over even more to repair and buy. My guys and I have always noted, newer ones in particular, the amount of brass filings that build on there bolt faces. As the rifle breaks in it decreases dramatically and quickly. As mentioned; if the bolt throw is "sticky" after a round, ejection issues, severe grouping issues you may want to have it checked out. Assuming you have power cleaned the rifle to ensure all machine lubes and debris have been removed. If you are not confident in the rifle, don't own it. My suggestion would be power clean it, lightly lube it, and pop some primers, If you don't see a mark improvement within 20 rounds I would have it checked.

Was the bolt lift stiff?, what was the temp when you were shooting? Is your load at or near max?

It was 90 degrees out, remington factory load (7mm08 140g core-loks). The bolt is a little stiff but this is my first remington and wasn't sure how it is suppose to be. I did clean it and put a light amount of graphite grease on the lugs and where the handle attaches/cocks to the bolt. Still a little stiff but thought it was because it is new.

How were the spent cases? A lot of soot around the necks or bulging on the primers? Extraction difficult?

Maybe it is something endemic to new rifles, but none of my actory fresh ones did this to the extent you are showing,

Can't imagine factory core-lockts producing too much pressure.

Are you feeding out of the mag? Could the line be from the bolt "scraping" along a case that is in the mag?

The bolt face does seem to indicate pressure or funky brass....doesn't make sense though that a factory load has excessive pressure as they are typically pretty conservative.

I was loading one at a time for the first ten shots. Noticed brass on bolt face and side of bolt. I cleaned and shot 10 more from magazine with same results.

How were the spent cases? A lot of soot around the necks or bulging on the primers? Extraction difficult?

Maybe it is something endemic to new rifles, but none of my actory fresh ones did this to the extent you are showing,

Can't imagine factory core-lockts producing too much pressure.

I will take a look at the spent cases tonight when I get home but I do remember a lot of soot around the spent cases. I will post pictures tonight. Extraction is fine.

Quite a bit of residue. No bulging primers but the neck size varies considerably on each spent round.

Attachments

• IMAG0390.jpg
    IMAG0390.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 779
  • IMAG0391.jpg
    IMAG0391.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 772
Could be that the coating on the bolt lugs has compressed the chamber and shortened the head space. That would raise chamber pressures. Take it to a good gunsmith and have the headspace checked. You could also show a photo of the opposite end of the case. What do the primers look like?

Here's a couple more of the primers. Thanks for everyone's help on this I really appreciate it. I'm planning on taking it to the smith here in Sheridan on Wednesday. This has got me thinking that I definitely want to rebarrel this gun possibly in a 6.5 caliber and get the action trued.

Attachments

• IMAG0392.jpg
    IMAG0392.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 724
  • IMAG0393.jpg
    IMAG0393.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 786
Hard to tell, but is it possible brass is being scraped of the bottom of the case as it is being chambered? Looks like the whole bolt was coated, even the boltface. That and tight headspace maybe? Stranger things have happened. mtmuley

Thanks mtmuley.I'm going to take it the smith in Wednesday. I have figured out that the line of brass on he side of the bolt is from scraping the top of the case when the bolt misses picking up a new case. Now just got to figure out why so much brass on the bolt face.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back