Reloading the 375 H&H

havershap

I recently bought a .375 H&H and I'm working on developing a hunting load for it. I'm focusing on the lighter bullets, 235 and 250 grain, to obtain a relatively high velocity and flat trajectory out to 350 yards. Does anyone out there have any pet loads that they are willing to share?

Thanks in advance.

Varget and RL15 have worked well for the two I've had/have with 270 and 300gr bullets.

I doubt you'll see much difference in trajectory by going with lighter bullets inside 350 yards, the recoil will be a bit less, but depends on how hard you push them. The trade off of BC vs velocity is pretty negligible. I like shooting the 375,its not that hard on the shoulder, and it wrecks stuff on the receiving end.

I’ve only loaded 270 Hornady SP’s in my H&H, and was using WW 760. I was several grains above the suggested book loads of the day, but, it was a listed load in an ancient Hornady Loading Manual. I don’t know the velocities, as I didn’t have a chronograph at that time. But, it was very, very accurate. With 5 shot groups, not allowing for adequate cooling time between the shots....the first 4 were going around 1/2”, with the 5th opening the group to over an inch. I was able to repeat this several times, and called it “good enough for government work”! This was 30 years ago. Today I’m hearing very good stuff about RL 15. If I were starting over today with the H &H, I’d try one of the 250 grain mono’s, a Barnes TTSX or a Hammer. memtb

Reactions: Guy
I've only used 300 grain A-Frames and solids, but after testing I settled on Reloder 16 and ended up reloading for two other guys as well. All three 375's seemed to like the RL 16.

Thank you all. That gives me a lot to chew on.
I've chronographed some test loads with 235 and 250 grain bullets and WW 760 powder and I was disappointed in the velocities. While the data on the Winchester Powder website shows velocities greater than 2900 fps, my actual measurements were about 300 fps lower. I didn't exceed the max load posted but the highest loads were compressed so I wouldn't have been able to go much over anyway.
The comment about recoil struck a chord with me. I've thought about a 375 for years because I am into the classics and, to me, it is the classic Old World caliber in the same way that, to me, .30-06 is the classic American caliber. But I was always put off by the fear of recoil. Then I met a guy in elk camp last year who shot one and told me that it wasn't as bad as people think. He convinced me that I could handle it so I bought one. I was pleased, and a little surprised, to find that the recoil is no worse than the .300 WSM that I've been shooting for years. In fact, it may be milder. I know this is partly due to the fact that the 375 is a heavier gun and has the Browning BOSS muzzle brake on it. Even so, the effect is the same.

Reactions: Guy
I run a creampuff load of IMR 4064 with 220 hornadys and one day I will have that rifle in my hands when whitetail hunting. I run a 1950 pre 64 model 70 with Lyman 48 peep and that load is a 2-3 inch load at 100 all day long.

Took a 200 yard shot at a 18x18 piece of steel last fall and held on the upper half of steel and BONG a little low center... super easy on the shoulder too.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back