450 Marlin brass question

Bullshot

I am reloading for my 450 marlin and have two different lots of brass. Those which were originally factory loaded with hornady 350 flat points are standard length/long. Others, which were used for the Hornady 325 grain FTX are about 1/10th inch shorter (to allow the longer FTX bullets to chamber). These differences are in the factories length and were intentional by Hornady’s design. A bit annoying though!

My question is whether it is safe and will make much of a difference in accuracy potential if I load 350 FP bullets in the shorter FTX brass which are easier to source. I want to crimp in the groove rather than seat out, so my OAL will end up a tenth or so below spec. Obviously case capacity is lower, so velocity is expected to follow suit.

Finally, if anyone has some of the long 450 cases or Hornady 350 FP bullets that they are looking to part with, I’m all ears. Never hurts to ask!

load some, shoot some and note the difference. You could always shorten the long ones but that doesnt make a lot of sense. Not crimping in the groove is not the worst thing in the world if you are using a final crimp die. I do find it annoying that they make shorter cases.

@Bullshot are you saying they are short after you’ve fired them as factory ammo?
The FTX rounds are factory loaded in shorter than spec brass. These cartridges were designed for short / flat pount bullets. When Hornady came out with the FTX loads, had to shorten the brass for the longer bullet to maintain OAL and so they would chamber and feed. I on the other hand, want to reload flat points the “old fashioned way”

I think the 45/70, 444 marlin likely has same short brass scenario in factory loaded FTX rounds.

Copy that.
What I’m asking is if you have brass that was the short FTX that you shot and it’s short? Once you run it through the sizing die it will be longer. Usually a couple of firings and resizing gets straight walled brass to “grow”.
If it’s a little short don’t worry about it. Consistent length is more important.

Copy that.
What I’m asking is if you have brass that was the short FTX that you shot and it’s short? Once you run it through the sizing die it will be longer. Usually a couple of firings and resizing gets straight walled brass to “grow”.
If it’s a little short don’t worry about it. Consistent length is more important.
ah, ok I hear ya. No this was first re-loading of the FTX brass, so they still remain notably shorter than spec even after resizing. But like you indicate probably not a big deal as long as I don’t mix my lots of ammo. When I get around to it I’ll follow up if I see any issues at the local range. At 100 yards, doubt I will.

Right on.
No it’s not a big deal at all and the only reason I say consistency is important is just because it’s a pain when you have dies set to crimp one particular length of brass and then you get one that’s considerably different length sometimes the crimp isn’t exactly how you would like it. All good. Just keep checking lengths after you resize each time and you’ll see them stretching out. Pretty soon you’ll have to trim and your back to all same length brass.
You won’t be able to tell any difference in accuracy.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Debbry64
Back