Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Reloading/Shooting/Firearm Projects - Let's Hear About 'Em!

that is a really nice, low-hammer gun. Looks like a lot of fun. Do you reload for it? Use black?

Enjoy it.

Just noticed, it is stamped twist finish. Does that indicate that it originally had faux twist patterns on the barrel or was/is it a true twist barrel set?

We have been using smokeless, low-pressure shells from RST. The guy that did the barrel recommended black powder, so may switch to that.

The original finish was a faux twist pattern. I was hoping for the twist lines to pop up during the rust bluing for aesthetic reasons, but they didn't. Being made in 1897 it was right at that transition point. Do you know how they got the faux lines on? Laminating, etching, ?? I don't know much about it. I do know they were imported from Belgium by the millions around that time, this one by Crescent Firearms of CT. . . . Something about old guns . . . but I don't have to tell you that. :giggle:

Rifle can back from the Smith. He did a pretty danged nice job, if I say so myself. Rifle started out as a stock 1995 vintage Ruger M77 Mark ii. Sent it to Roger Renner out of Sparks, NV for his "pre-war Mauser" treatment. I'd gladly go to him again. Really thoughtful guy & fast. Hoping to get out this week to sight it in and start load development.

Well, deposit made on Forbes 24B in 280 Rem. 1 more payment and that baby is mine!

Looking at the Forbes, got me to thinking about full length bedding the Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag.
Looking now for something light weight to fill in the gaps of the forestock for the bedding. Trying not to add weight.
Didn't want to go the spray foam route either.

Wait..
Is that natural ligjting at your reloading bench???
I'm litterally in the coal cellar, with flourecent light bulbs hanging from the rafters. Heck, i can't even stand up straight down there!!! Lol

I've started doing some load development on my Tikka T3x in 300wsm. H4831, 180gr accubonds loaded to mag length and fed 215's. Did a ladder test yesterday and found a good node right at and 0.1gr above max load according to my Nosler 6 book with no pressure signs. 69.7, 69.9 and 70.1 gr got me a 3/4 inch group at 200yrds with less than that of vertical spread. So far it looks promising. Gonna load up some more and push it a hair farther and see how well they do.

Attachments

• IMG_20190409_131921_694.jpg
    IMG_20190409_131921_694.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
Wait..
Is that natural ligjting at your reloading bench???
I'm litterally in the coal cellar, with flourecent light bulbs hanging from the rafters. Heck, i can't even stand up straight down there!!! Lol

That’s what the old room was like. I do really like having the window now, but I will say, being on the west side of Oregon the natural lighting is dim at best on most days.

Back