MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Reloading equipment setup for a beginner?

samuel_284Win

Hello fellow shooters and hunters,

I am considering investing in a simple, small scale set up so that I can reload .284 Winchester and .300 Win Mag for my hunting rifles. I am done paying $55 atleast for a 20 round box of .284 Winchester, and that is if I can even find it.

I have never reloaded and know that I need to educate myself on the methods and techniques used to get high-quality rounds.

However, what type of press setup would you guys recommend that would be simple and easy to use while allowing for the highest quality reload? I am not interested in a high "output" press that does multiple steps with each throw of the press lever.

Any and all info on starting down the custom reloading road is appreciated.

I've been happy with my Lee setup, bought the kit, got me started.
Upgraded a few small things (Lee AutoPrime was the only one I would have had to get)

Remember your KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) approach! At least l do!
You can jump down a big rabbit hole in a hurry otherwise.

Do you plan on reloading pistol also?

For rifle only, a single stage press from Lee or Hornady works fine.
Look at used presses from people getting out of reloading, or upgrading. Really helps keep the budget in check.

If loading pistol also, a one and done press to look at is the Lee 4 hole turret press.
Loads pistol faster than a single stage, but can still do all your rifle needs.
As long as you aren't loading 50 BMG..

Reposting from several similar threads:

---------------

One key to a good start is to buy one or two loading handbooks, I like Hornady and Nosler.

As for equipment, there are good starter kits from RCBS, Hornady, and Lee. But each has some components that are limited and often (but not always) folks end up upgrading some parts - which raises long term overall cost. I went a different path and pulled the items together individually that best fit my intended uses. I found these two links super helpful to that end.

Building a Reloading Setup: The Essentials
Expanding and Refining a Reloading Setup
Also, these youtube channels are useful resources:

Plus BigFin has a nice 6 part series done with Nosler:

Do not get a progressive press for your 1st press, get a simple single stage. All brands do the same thing with the same results, it usually comes down to who has the best deal at the time. Watch all of the YouTube videos you can on reloading, look up manuals on line, and have at it. It's really simple once you get setup and make a few rounds.

Buy the simplest cheapest O-frame type press that you can find. Something akin to the PCGS partner. Buy quality dies like Redding. Shop around for the best price. Use sizing/resizing wax. I'd get a hand primer tool like from K & M. Graf n Sons has a neat little battery powered scale. Or shop eBay for a scale. Lastly a powder funnel. I'd just use a cheap or free plastic spoon to weigh out powder.
BVX6V0E.jpg

My recommendation is to buy a Lyman reloading manual first. Read through the whole thing so you fully know what you’re getting yourself into. If you still want to reload after that, find a good used reloading press. I’m partial to RCBS for beginners, but many cast presses are good. Start with a good set of dies, a beam scale, and Lee lock stud/cutter with the appropriate case length gauge for trimming brass. I like the case sizing wax that antelopedundee recommended above instead of spray on lube or liquid lube/lube pad. A caliper is a must as well!

With that said, you can get by without a lot of the other things until you are invested into reloading. I started out with my press bolted to a 2x8 that I c-clamped to the kitchen table in my college apartment. Made my own loading blocks by drilling holes in scrap lumber and got by with very minimal equipment. But I still use my first press as my primary reloading press.

Welcome to the hand loading rabbit hole.

As you can see, everyone has their favorite brand.

The best value for a beginner is a starter kit from any of the major companies. I prefer the RCBS kit. Whichever kit you get should have a recipe book (manual), and an instructional DVD, and all the basic tools.

All of the steps of handloading were being done long before some of the cooler tools we have today were available. You don't need to invest in the fanciest scale, powder dispenser, etc. (I still measure C.O.A.L. with a dummy load seated long and an old cleaning rod which I have fitted with a slip collar.)

You don't HAVE to work up to the hottest load in the manual.

Set up your workspace where you can limit interruptions to your process. Like running power tools, distractions make mistakes, and mistakes can cause injuries.

Honestly most brands are going to be good enough. I use mostly Hornady presses but I have several Lee die setups and they make plenty accurate loads. You just don't get the bells and whistles.

The problem you will run into is availability especially primers and powder. I don't foresee the availability in powder or primers getting any better for quite some time. It may benefit you to find a powder that will work for both cartridges and buy a 8lb jug to keep things simple.

Whatever you do buy a notebook specifically for loading. Take notes on everything...future you will thank you.

I’ll be back to the ranch in about a month and can sell 2-3 thousand primers if you can’t find any👍

The RCBS Rockchucker kit is how I started. It gives you everything you need to start rolling your own: https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-9354-Supreme-Master-Kit/dp/B00T9YKW60

YOu may want to add a vibratory tumbler for cleaning brass as well. This one is pretty good, though I'm on my second one in 13 years: https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Ar...ix=frankford+ar,stripbooks,236&sr=1-4-catcorr

Also, ditch the lube pad that comes with the kit & get some imperial sizing wax: https://www.amazon.com/Redding-Reloading-Imperial-Sizing-Die/dp/B000PW3O3I

I second buying the Lyman manual. But also, get this book: https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-9354-Supreme-Master-Kit/dp/B00T9YKW60

Also buy the books from the bullet manufacturers you want to reload with. Those books have more detail than the basic manuals like Lyman (although Lyman gives you more basic info on reloading).

For Dies - any of the major brands will work. I prefer RCBS, Hornady & CH-4D dies (they make dies for obscure cartridges).

This.

Document everything, what worked and what didn’t.
Last winter I nerded out and converted all my old notebooks into Excel. Things that I'm sure were clear as mud 40 years ago are archeology to read now.
When you write in your notebooks, write as if a stranger is going to read it. Like you will will have to explain why you wrote it.

There is nothing more frustrating than coming back to make a favorite load and not being able to remember it or find the recipe. My older Speer and Hornady manuals are covered in scribbles like a marginal Russell Crowe movie. I'm trying to figure out how to monetize all this intellectual property now. ;)

I started with spiral notebooks, then the MTM 3-ring binder Handloaders log. I started making my own filler sheets for the binder on Lotus, then Excel. I still use the binder for printed SAAMI chamber drawings and SAAMI MAP listings.

Notes should include the recipes (bullet, primer, powder and charge weight), C.O.A.L. for that particular rifle and bullet, FL or Neck sized, Brass trim length, the range environmental conditions, accuracy, and pressure sign observations. When I got a Chrono, I added velocity and statistics. (I know virtually squat about the mathematics of statistics, but most chonys will do it for you, or you can put the data into Excel.)

Find a mentor tho not the tormentor kind. Ask at your range or local area shops. Some may offer reloading classes. Save a couple of your "factory" rounds to set your seating die and adjust from there as needed. Lots of videos on the net too.

Reposting from several similar threads:

---------------

One key to a good start is to buy one or two loading handbooks, I like Hornady and Nosler.

As for equipment, there are good starter kits from RCBS, Hornady, and Lee. But each has some components that are limited and often (but not always) folks end up upgrading some parts - which raises long term overall cost. I went a different path and pulled the items together individually that best fit my intended uses. I found these two links super helpful to that end.

Building a Reloading Setup: The Essentials
Expanding and Refining
I have thoroughly enjoyed Johnny's reloading Bench and Erik Cortina has a lot of reloading videos which are pretty good

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back