Release Life

Dave2643

I'm relatively new to archery and have bought 2 releases for the 5 or 6 seasons I've hunted . I have a Scott and I'm using True Fire now that I've been using for the last 3 years.
It slipped out off my D-ring twice today, the second time resulting a pretty good shot to the nose with my draw hand.
Is it time to replace it or could it be my D-Ring which is a little frayed?

Wow that's a while. How long should a D-Loop last?
Depends on how much you shoot and what material you use.

if you start to see wear on it, then it’s best to change it out unless you like to punch yourself in the teeth.

I typically change mine out twice a year but I shoot quite a bit.

I'm relatively new to archery and have bought 2 releases for the 5 or 6 seasons I've hunted . I have a Scott and I'm using True Fire now that I've been using for the last 3 years.
It slipped out off my D-ring twice today, the second time resulting a pretty good shot to the nose with my draw hand.
Is it time to replace it or could it be my D-Ring which is a little frayed?

Keep your finger away from the trigger when you're drawing...

I've been using the same wrist strap release for the past 5 years, and I shoot a lot. I put my trigger finger on the back side of the trigger and push on it while I draw to avoid an accidental opening.
Fully agree with this. To the OP, this may fix your problem if you are not already doing this.

I changed my release for this year, but not for the reason your describing.
My old one was i have no clue how old. Was given to me used when i first got into archery (1980s).
It actually wrapped around your hand, with your thumb sticking through it, and the release a hard part of it, sticking straight out over your palm.
Really hard to get right if you are wearing gloves.

My new one is the wrist strap type, that the release drops away, allowing me to do things with my right hand now, then use the release when i need to draw.
Jaws are spring loaded closed which is nice.

Just yesterday my buddy and I were shooting. His release ripped off his wrist strap at full draw. Just a little mark on his cheek no injuries. Kind of throws you off when that happens. Got me to inspect mine

I had to replace my nephews d-loop a few years back at elk camp due to this happening. Luckily found out while putting so arrows on target at camp. yes, d-loop material will get old and can cause it to slip through a release. I would also check out the release to make sure the mechanics of it are still working properly and nothing went wrong with it. I have had great luck with both the scott's and the truefire.

I had to replace my nephews d-loop a few years back at elk camp due to this happening. Luckily found out while putting so arrows on target at camp. yes, d-loop material will get old and can cause it to slip through a release. I would also check out the release to make sure the mechanics of it are still working properly and nothing went wrong with it. I have had great luck with both the scott's and the truefire.
Depends on how much you shoot and what material you use.

if you start to see wear on it, then it’s best to change it out unless you like to punch yourself in the teeth.

I typically change mine out twice a year but I shoot quite a bit.
Thanks, I had my d loop replaced at the bow shop. He said it was definitely wore out and it probably because of my True Fire jaw design. It just happens with usa

I had an scoot rhino XT that I probably used for 10 years.... Keep an eye on them and they will last along time

One of the reasons I like the hook style releases with a D loop.

So not to be too dramatic but after punching myself in the face 3 times I took my Tru-Fire in to the local pro shop and he laughed at me and asked if I'd had it about 1.5-2 years and I said yes. His response ... "typical". Not impressed.

I bought a Spot Hogg Wiseguy and love that thing. Its more sensitive and I've been shooting better with it. I'm hoping to get shooting out to 90-100 here in the next couple weeks. Hunting range will be about 65 yards for an October Dall's Sheep Hunt and I'll be looking to tag a AK Moose starting Sept 1 as well.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back