Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Relative Recoil Between Cartridges

CycleFishHunt

I am new to both hunting and shooting, and in the market for a big game (elk/deer) rifle. As I am new, I am looking for a rifle I can spend some time with to improve my accuracy, and not have it totally kick my butt. (Side note: I have a .22LR that I practice with too.)

To find out what I am comfortable with I am trying to get my hands on rifles chambered for various cartridges. But, as I have little experience shooting rifles I am hoping some of you can help tell me if my experience matches their own.

To date I have shot a .308 Win, a 7mm-08, and a .30-06. Both the .308 and 7mm-08 had extremely manageable recoil, and I did not find them uncomfortable to shoot, even after 20 or so rounds.

The .30-06 however felt like getting kicked by a mule. After two shots I had the flinches, and after another shot or two I stopped. It was a decidedly unpleasant experience.

My question is this: is the difference in recoil between these cartridges generally this great, or was it the gun I was shooting?

I know the gun itself can make a big difference so it’s worth noting that the .308 and 7mm-08 were newer guns likely manufactured in the last 10 years, and the .30-06 was my friend's grandfather's 1940s era gun.

I also have a 12 GA, and have shot others and have no problems there either.

Thanks all for your help.

Too many variables to really answer your question. Did that '06 even have a recoil pad? There must be a bunch of modern 30-06's in your area. See if you can shoot one. The .30-06 does kick more than the other two, so some increase is very real, even if it's not a huge difference.
That said, a .308, or 7mm-08 is going to serve you very well, so dont worry about just picking one of those. They'll kill any critter in Colorado inside reasonable hunting ranges.

with the same weight bullet a 30-06 will have slightly more recoil than a .308 but it’s a small increase and the way the particular rifle stock fits you will be a bigger factor then the difference between the two rounds. There is no elk within 400 yards that will know the difference in being shot with any of the three calibers you listed. Put it in the lungs and they’ll die.

As said, bullet mass, powder mass, bullet velocity, rifle weight, rifle fit, butt pad, layers of clothing, technique, muzzle flash, etc all factor into sense of recoil. But yes, all things being equal a 30-06 will have 10-15% more recoil as the long action cartridge burns more powder (and it exits faster than the bullet so has a greater effect on recoil. Since you already know two great elk cartridge work and you have questions on the third, the obvious choice is get a 7mm08 or .308. The .308 will give you more common access to factory ammo options, but the 7mm bullets will be a bit lower recoil and have better ballistics. From what you described I don't see how you can go wrong with the .308.

Last edited:
My dad has a Browning Xbolt Stainless Stalker in 338WM. Fairly light rifle, but ergonomics make recoil more manageable than I expected. I’ve shot some rifles in much lesser calibers that did not fit me well and that had poor recoil pads that hurt me far worse.

Worst recoiling gun I ever shot was a 30-06 from the mid 1960's. Shot it and form tears instantly! Love the 308 and had a 165gr load that was great. Decided to take it fishing up in Alaska so loaded up some 200gr bullets in it and recoil went through the roof. I used it anyway as I shot lot in those days and could handle the recoil. The 200gr bullet for a bear up close was definitely a better choice of bullet's but it will show you that simply increasing bullet weight certainly increase recoil!

You might want to start with something quite a bit smaller. If your really going to hunt elk, smallest cartridge I'd suggest is something like the 260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor. They are both more than good enough with the right bullet well placed. You could start out using for deer and then when your ready for elk try something bigger, say a 308 with a 165gr bullet. More than adequate for an elk if you do your part placing the bullet! I don't recall what is legal for elk in Colorado any more. I lived there long ago.

Starting out, don't handicap yourself with recoil. Get something adequate and learn to use it.

Regarding the 7mm-08 and .308 that you have fired and enjoyed, were they the same make and model ? If not, which one did you like the most. You may have already answered your own question. Certainly either of those cartridges would be suitable for hunting in the lower 48.

I reload both the 308 and 7mm-08 and they are both relatively mild recoil, one of the nice things about reloading is I'm less concerned about thumper loads than I'm getting consistently small groups and that is the beauty of this class of cartridges they perform because the average hunter can shoot them very well.

The .30-06 however felt like getting kicked by a mule. After two shots I had the flinches, and after another shot or two I stopped. It was a decidedly unpleasant experience.
Sometimes if you don’t get a firm shoulder pocket on a shot, the amount of felt recoil is significantly higher, leading to discomfort, pain, or bruising. The chances of flinching go way up. It can ruin a whole day of shooting.
I also have a 12 GA, and have shot others and have no problems there either.
My go-to 12 gauge has no recoil pad. Kicks terrible on turkey loads and slugs, but it doesn’t bother me. Shooting a rifle I am a lot more recoil-sensitive. Even light loads on my 30-06 were pushing the edges of comfort and I had to work through flinches a couple of times. I made it work, but did not enjoy shooting it. Looking through a scope, focusing on breathing, and slowly squeezing a trigger, I prefer lighter recoil. I’ve been through a few high power rifles now, and currently use a mid-weight 6.5 CM with a good butt pad and a soft cheek riser. Recoil is more than manageable - I’m looking to add a second rifle with a little more oomph. I’d probably be fine with 33-50% more recoil than my current set up.

Something you might do while your looking around for a rifle. Read a lot about shot placement. I think a lot of guy's either take it for grannet just shoot behind the shoulder and the animal will fall down. Bear in mind the gut's are behind the shoulder. That will kill either a deer or an elk but good chance you'll never find it. Instead it will run off a cripple. Learn about bullet's. You do not need premium bullet's to kill anything but you do need to work within the parameter's of the bullet. Do a lot of plinking out in the field shooting from field positions to learn to better place your shots. Shooting from a bench is great for working up loads and sighting in a rifle but plinking will make you a better shooter. All the bullet's and accessory's in the world will not make up for poor shooting. Using something that the recoil doesn't bother you let's it come together. The best bullet from the worlds most accurate rifle poorly place will most likely be a wounding shot and you just might loose the animal. Practice some at about 300yds. Learn to shoot there well and you'll be better at closer ranges. Most big game is taken at under 200 yds is what I read and don't doubt it. Most all of mine has been taken at 200 yds or less.

While recoil can be different with how a rifle fits, recoil pad, clothes, shooting position, etc..
A lot seem to be just the individual. Some poeple are just recoil sensitive.
My daughter is a good example, while my wife has no issues pulling the trigger on anything you put in front of her.
My wife likes shooting my Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag. My daughter shot it once, and won't go near it!

My Win cabine will tear me up after a couple shots. My -06 would do the same after a box with a decent pad at the range. Switched to a Hogue stock with Simms pad and it kicks as much as my 22. Nada.
I put a Simms pad on my 50 cal. MZ and no heavy recoil even at the range. About the same as my stock 12 ga 870.

But if your looking these days,I'd go 308 with your scenario. Get one with a good pad,built in. One that fits.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back