Redneck Mini Camper?

Foxtrot1

Hi guys, I have an old m101a2 military trailer that I have been using as a cargo trailer for extended camping trips (1st photo, tan trailer). Some time ago I loaned it to my nephew and while he had it, the bearings went out on 1 side, the wheel almost fell off, and the brake system is shot. So it's time for some changes.

In a few months when I have time I know that I have to cut the brake handles off along with surge break system, replace the axle, and a new coupler on the tongue.

While renovating, I am leaning toward a redneck mini camper build with it. The bed is approx. 84x100" outside. It appears that a utility camper shell for a full size long bed truck will fit it. I see these and the higher rise ones on market place from time to time fairly reasonably. Considering adding a similar camper top, building a plywood platform for a bed over the fenderwells, storage drawers that fit under the bed platform, and a storage box on the tongue. If the top has side doors, one side can be set up as a kitchen with a fly over it (like the black trailer). I can fit my zodi shower, a propane bottle, and a battery for my cpap and a few lights in the box. I bet I can make all these additions for probably $1500 or so.

I've added a few pics that I stole offline of what I am thinking for the finished product. camp.jpgDSC_0021.jpg056a8cf0ee8bb93d2cf34f4aa4d1a8d5.jpgexpeditionsupply-tradesman-access-mfg--tactical-m1102-m11-adventure-trailer.jpg

So, would it be big enough?

We usually aren't campers just to camp. We usually go on hunting or fishing trips, so over the course of the summer we like to go to Tennessee and trout fish on weekends we can get away, and in the fall if we draw tags out west. I have a wall tent we use for extended trips, but I don't like to set it up for 3 day trips. And if we have a bigger party going out west, we can use the trailer in conjunction with my tent. We tried the full sized camper thing, but sold it after a couple of years. It was an 18' hybrid. Seemed like I spent more time working on it than fixing it. It also seemed to take as much time to set up as my wall tent.

Any of you guys using a small enclosed trailer as a base camp? Any insights or tips?

For that same money I would invest into a used enclosed trailer. I have a 7x12 Vnose and it gets tight with gear and a cot. I’ve used many of this 1/4 ton trailers over my career. In my opinion they are a pain in the arse for what they are worth.

Mine is an M1102 (1 ton version of the 1101), i'm not going enclosed though. I do have some ideas of trying to close off the front and put doors on the sides for security and aerodynamics. I dig this platform, because it's got far more clearance than my truck and I can take it anywhere I want.

I built one out of a small fiberglass cargo trailer. It’s plenty big enough for my cot and small table. I use a tarp canopy outside to set up my chairs, table and cooking stove. Haven’t taken it hunting yet, but I’m looking forward to staying warm on late season hunts.

Attachments

• 1469290A-78C2-411C-8990-E6A8D16A67CF.jpeg
    1469290A-78C2-411C-8990-E6A8D16A67CF.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 18
Back