Red Montana

I don't think this has been posted yet, but here is a poorly scanned copy of the the conservative wing's goals for 2021 https://ewscripps.brightspotcdn.com/74/d6/516654b04f2e9f820d406134bc05/gop-legislative-plan2.pdf

Maybe some good things for some folks, maybe some not great things for others.

Emphasis added below with regard to public land, and campaign contributions since it was already brought up in this thread.

"The seven-page list, drafted by lawmakers from the GOP’s conservative wing, outlines a list of policy changes that some Republicans hope to advance if Republican Greg Gianforte becomes governor."

five “top priorities”:
  • Reducing property taxes, by using a portion of state lodging taxes to offset the cost to local governments.
  • Lowering the state’s top income-tax rate.
  • Holding state spending to zero increase.
  • Fighting drug addiction and related ills, with increased law enforcements and expanded drug-treatment courts.
  • Protecting “Montanans’ rights,” by limiting the power of local health boards and the governor to issue emergency orders in response to Covid-19, and expanding the scope of workers deemed “essential,” to prevent widespread business closures.
The list also included numerous proposals in other policy areas, such as:

School choice: The list said there are “many different avenues to go down,” including greatly expanding the state income-tax credit that helps scholarship organizations for children attending private schools, other tax credits for private-school tuition, and education savings accounts that allow state funds to “follow” the student to his or her choice of education.

Health care: A ban on “surprise billing” by hospitals for emergency treatment, providing personal health-savings accounts for public employees, and increasing liability protections for health-care professionals.

Elections: Ending Election Day voter-registration, by closing registration the Friday before an election; stricter I.D. requirements for voting; eliminating Montana’s limits on campaign contributions to candidates.

Renewable energy:
Creating a new tax on renewable energy sold out-of-state, and making it easier for utilities to meet required minimum levels of renewable power, by allowing them to include expanded hydroelectric power projects.

Public lands: Forbidding the selling of any federal land that’s transferred to Montana, but also forbidding the state from using hunting-access fees to buy additional private land.

Labor/workers:
Removing the requirement that “prevailing” wages be paid on state-funded construction jobs; forbidding the state from automatically deducting union dues from public-employee paychecks; changing standard probation period for new employees from six months to 12 months."
Thanks. This document would be hilarious if it wasn’t real. “Eliminate sanctuary cities”? Really? In Montana? It is like the national RNC wrote it for them.

On a state wide basis the average is 20 for MT and 24.4 for the state we moved from.
Good on you and former home state. But one-stat, anecdotal reference does not disparage Montana public education.
Private schools will excel in specific areas by design and by the very nature of discrimination of entry qualifications. I adamantly submit to you that defunding public education to fiscally support private schools in the name of "school choice" will not make this a better state, nation, or world.

" I adamantly submit to you that defunding public education to fiscally support private schools in the name of "school choice" will not make this a better state, nation, or world."
You know easy to say in Montana maybe not as easy to persuade folks whose kids go to schools where the graduation rates might be 10%, and literacy rates for both reading and math are dismal, and drugs and violence are rampant. If I lived someplace like that I would spend every penny I had to get my kids a good education.

My three went to public school in Montana and one has a Doctor of Pharmacy Degree, one has a masters in Nursing to be a nurse practitioner and the last one is a Chemical Engineer. Involved parents and stable home life makes it easier and no amount of money would replace those two things. My wife is a teacher and more and more the schools are expected to do what parents should be doing. Money isn't the only measure of providing a quality education.

Nemont

You know easy to say in Montana maybe not as easy to persuade folks whose kids go to schools where the graduation rates might be 10%, and literacy rates for both reading and math are dismal, and drugs and violence are rampant. If I lived someplace like that I would spend every penny I had to get my kids a good education.

It is extremely likely that if you happened to live in that circumstance,, you would not be in any position to send your children to private schools. It would be far more likely that you were stretching your paycheck so that next month's rent is covered.

Seriously, the first move would be to get to a better neighborhood. One with less crime and better schools.

I totally oppose my tax dollars going to any entity that I cannot hold accountable either by lobbying or my vote.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back