Red Foxes ??

AND - the result was ???

Looking forward to getting back to my hunting area. The borders have been re-opened to the area BUT coming into summer, not good for pelts. The big break the foxes have had from hunting pressure should make them real silly and come to the whistle like I’ve got them on a string. (y)
Nothing seen, but it was a horrible night, strong winds and heavy rain showers, we did get excited once, but on closer inspection it was a rabbit!

No market in the UK for pelts:cry:

A few years ago, well around 20 years ago, my friend was a gamekeeper on the pheasant shoot, he would lamp, I would shoot with my .243, he was in the pub one evening and overheard a conversation, a big nob in the fox hunting with hounds community was asking if anyone had heard of me and my friend by name, he was moaning because the hunt couldn't find any foxes, he claimed we had shot them all!
Total rubbish, as we know, 3 foxes come to the funeral and one stays behind!

Cheers

Richard

Cheers

Richard

AND - the result was ???

Looking forward to getting back to my hunting area. The borders have been re-opened to the area BUT coming into summer, not good for pelts. The big break the foxes have had from hunting pressure should make them real silly and come to the whistle like I’ve got them on a string. (y)
As Richard said no show. But we will keep trying. There are very predictable and tend to turn up roughly at same time each night. This one seems to have changed his routine, probably because we have scared him off at some time. It’s just a case of working out when he does his rounds again.
It will be the mating season soon so more chance to call him in.

I shoot a fair few foxes over here, like Devon Deer. We have a lot. You shoot one and a few turn up to thier funerals.
This is a big dog fox I shot the other week.

Attachments

• IMG_20201023_214313.jpg
    IMG_20201023_214313.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20201023_214517.jpg
    IMG_20201023_214517.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
Nothing seen, but it was a horrible night, strong winds and heavy rain showers, we did get excited once, but on closer inspection it was a rabbit!

No market in the UK for pelts:cry:

A few years ago, well around 20 years ago, my friend was a gamekeeper on the pheasant shoot, he would lamp, I would shoot with my .243, he was in the pub one evening and overheard a conversation, a big nob in the fox hunting with hounds community was asking if anyone had heard of me and my friend by name, he was moaning because the hunt couldn't find any foxes, he claimed we had shot them all!
Total rubbish, as we know, 3 foxes come to the funeral and one stays behind!

Cheers

Richard

Cheers

Richard
That's sounds familiar Richard 🤦‍♂️

I have so many mice that try to get into my camper and everything else I own I just leave them alone. I had a few den under my shed this summer and they were entertaining to watch and got fairly tame to our presence.

I have so many mice that try to get into my camper and everything else I own I just leave them alone. I had a few den under my shed this summer and they were entertaining to watch and got fairly tame to our presence.
They great to watch when they come out a play from thier dens.
Over here with small farms compared to yours they can be a menace to sheep/lambs and chickens.
Game shoots also control numbers to help the game birds when they get released

Here in Pa ive been hunting red fox since I was a kid my buddy an i have killed gotten hundreds over the yrs, we used to have greys runnning around but not many left unless we go up north and yotes were very rare up untill the last 10 yrs or so no we foucs on yotes and let the reds go,But it sure is fun calling them in

Last edited:
This might be viewed as a bit of a controversial post by some of the chaps I encouraged to join this forum from the UK, but if it wasn't for the fact they are ruthless little killers of lambs I wouldn't shoot them.
But I also know that as there is no public land hunting in the UK if I didn't attempt to control them then the land owner would probably kick me off and get somebody in that does.
My views have changed over the years, once I was ruthless, not so much these days.
I let one walk yesterday, 50 yards away hunting voles and marking his territory, he din't have a clue I was there....but of course if I had shot him it would have ruined the deer hunting, which as it happened was non productive, it could have been but I don't head shoot deer.
Cheers
Richard

This might be viewed as a bit of a controversial post by some of the chaps I encouraged to join this forum from the UK, but if it wasn't for the fact they are ruthless little killers of lambs I wouldn't shoot them.
But I also know that as there is no public land hunting in the UK if I didn't attempt to control them then the land owner would probably kick me off and get somebody in that does.
My views have changed over the years, once I was ruthless, not so much these days.
I let one walk yesterday, 50 yards away hunting voles and marking his territory, he din't have a clue I was there....but of course if I had shot him it would have ruined the deer hunting, which as it happened was non productive, it could have been but I don't head shoot deer.
Cheers
Richard
Fair point Richard.
Most if not all of my deer stalking ground has come off the back of fox control.
Light you in Devon, Herefordshire is a very rural county with lots of farmers. Sheep, chickens, pheasant shoots (big and small). Sheep farmers don't want them about neither do pheasant shoots, which I'm part of one.
Saying that. I've let many walk by whole out stalking or while sat up a high seat.
I had one @#)(# his leg against the tree the high seat (tree stand) was against.
My oldest said why didn't you shoot it.
'because it's nice to appreciate wildlife and not kill everything'
The most important thing to teach all our youngsters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back