Red Diesel

Makes sense that it’s illegal if it’s charged a lower tax for certain use cases.

I’m always tempted to say “yes” at the Farm and Home checkout when they ask if the stuff I’m buying is for farm use. I chicken out though, I don’t need to wind up in jail for that and Jesus is watching.
 
Red diesel pumps here have a normal gas sized nozzle on one side of the pump, and the large big truck nozzle on the other. No problem filling a 5 gallon can.
 
Here in Montana #1 is supposed to be better suited to resist gelling in the cold. #2 for the rest of the time. And we have low pressure red dye pumps. Seen guys filling pickups years ago. They still probably do. mtmuley
 
Driving slower with “illegal” fuel as to not get pulled over maybe?

I could imagine guys getting better MPG by virtue of driving habit changes.
 
Driving slower with “illegal” fuel as to not get pulled over maybe?

I could imagine guys getting better MPG by virtue of driving habit changes.
Per Co-pilot:

Under normal circumstances, no one is going to pull you over to dip your personal pickup truck tank in Idaho. State law explicitly bans local and state authorities from conducting random checkpoints or dipping the tanks of non-commercial personal vehicles under 26,000 lbs.

It’s a free for all!
 
Hah. You probably haven't fueled at a fuel jobber. It's nothing like going to the mom and pop gas station. Their nozzles are either on or off. They get really pissy if you spill anything on the ground.

Ones I’ve been to have normal fuel nozzles
 
Driving slower with “illegal” fuel as to not get pulled over maybe?

I could imagine guys getting better MPG by virtue of driving habit changes.

I’ve got a 2001 5 speed Cummins that 65mph is about as fast as you can go so I’m in no danger of getting a speeding ticket. But I can tell you which fuel I get better mileage with. Or so I’ve heard I should say
 
If the use of red dye is approved, it's if zero use to OTR truck drivers anyway. Helps a few with diesel pickups that can access the red dye pumps. Major truck stops don't have them that can service 100's of trucks per day. mtmuley
 
Interesting. Do police actually check people’s tanks for this?
2x in the last weeks and that’s in a corporate truck that wouldn’t do it anyhow. That may be part of the reason my guys tank got dipped. Also I saw those sticks can supposedly see red full at parts per million so who knows how long that takes to actually filter out of a tank
 
If the use of red dye is approved, it's if zero use to OTR truck drivers anyway. Helps a few with diesel pickups that can access the red dye pumps. Major truck stops don't have them that can service 100's of trucks per day. mtmuley

Lots of them at truck stops in eastern Montana and across North Dakota at truck stops
 

Forum statistics

Threads
120,157
Messages
2,251,657
Members
39,103
Latest member
s bic
Back
Top