Recovering from a botched shot.

It’s pretty likely you will get another chance at this buck if you play your cards right. Seems to happen a lot around here with grazing shots.

shot a buck one time that I had hit two weeks earlier with a bow. Hit it high chest and looked for 3 days before giving up. Two weeks later he came in front of me in my rifle stand. That time he wasn’t so lucky. Dang thing had already been hit by a car and had two broken back legs that had healed in weird positions so he hopped along. One tough friggin deer to get hit by a car, take an arrow, then somehow run 100 yards with a 270 ballistic tip through the lungs.

On this rifle with this round, the difference in 200 yards and 250 yards is 4 inches. Doesn't leave a whole lot of room for for even a slight error when you shoot for 200 yards and the target is 250. 4 inches low from where I was trying to hit the deer in the heart is borderline at best.

There was no fever. Just a flat mistake. I saw the buck step to the edge of the lane. I already had the rifle oriented in that direction. I said to myself that is a shooter for sure and never looked at the rack again. I got a good steady rest. I took time to control my breathing. I just did not aim where I should have aimed. I can see the crosshairs at the moment the rifle went off clear as day sitting here now. I watched the deer bolt in the scope after the shot.

Lesson learned.

We are extremely slow at work. I am almost caught up already. May make an evening hunt today and get to hunt most of the day tomorrow if things stay like this.

what are you shooting that has a 4” drop in 50 yards?

In my experience the friends/family who go right back out there and don’t dwell on it come home with him a surprising amount of times. Go get him!

This happened to me as well. Except while bow hunting years back. I got the shot at just over 30 yards. Got the mule kick reaction and everything. Found my arrow with blood and some hair. Lost blood quickly. This was early morning and my dad and I spent all day trying to find it. I even went back the next morning and spent several more hours. I didn’t want to give up on it. Eventually, I had to return home as it was the end of the weekend. I was sick about it and it still bugs me to this day. That said I gave my all to find it, as well as my dad.

By elk season I had some confidence back and got back into the woods. I think getting back in the woods was the best thing for me as it made me feel much better.

I give you a ton of respect to just come on this forum and talk about. It took me years to share my experience with anyone as I was so ashamed. Your a good man. I know you are because of how honest you are and how much it’s bothering you.

It will get better and you did all you could. Getting the dog was a great idea. You left no stone unturned. I’d hunt with you anytime 😉

Something doesn’t pass the smell test. I shoot a .280 Rem almost exclusively and no issues to 400.

You're selling yourself short by sighting in at 100. Bump her up to 2” high at 100 and you’ll smile like heck when that buck walks out at 250 this weekend.

Something doesn’t pass the smell test. I shoot a .280 Rem almost exclusively and no issues to 400.

You're selling yourself short by sighting in at 100. Bump her up to 2” high at 100 and you’ll smile like heck when that buck walks out at 250 this weekend.
Not sure what you mean by passing the smell test.

The rifle I am shooting has 4 inches of drop between 200 and 250 yards. Will bumping it up a half inch higher at 100 yards change that?

I have been shooting this cartridge for 20 years out of a couple different rifles. The ballistics I am getting out of this rifle don’t seem that out of line to me.

I am good to 400 as well with the .280. Just not that time.

Not sure what you mean by passing the smell test.

The rifle I am shooting has 4 inches of drop between 200 and 250 yards. Will bumping it up a half inch higher at 100 yards change that?

I have been shooting this cartridge for 20 years out of a couple different rifles. The ballistics I am getting out of this rifle don’t seem that out of line to me.

I am good to 400 as well with the .280. Just not that time.
I’m not saying you did anything wrong. It seems slow for a 140gr bullet. I have less drop than that with my rifle out of a Win M70 featherweight shooting 150 federal power point bullets.

It is what it is.

I’m not saying you did anything wrong. It seems slow for a 140gr bullet. I have less drop than that with my rifle out of a Win M70 featherweight shooting 150 federal power point bullets.

It is what it is.

I see what you are saying now.

May be something to do with the low elevation here? Difference in barrels?

I am shooting a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle. Also have it in Remington 7400. Had my grandpas old 742 as well but let my uncle have it.

You lose nothing with a 200 yard zero, still a point blank range shot at 100 yards. Seems even more prudent with factory 280 ammo, which is know for being a tad light. It sounds like you "botched" the range, not the shot. Get back out and shoot a little. Doesn't need to be the same gun, just some range time.

Good luck

I haven't gotten over a shot I botched when I was twenty over thirty years ago.
I was hunting on the Custer. I topped over a ridge and off to my side was a buck of bucks. High twenty's wide, deep forks, kickers and the longest inline extras I have seen even to this day on his G3's. He was bedded on a little bench with a doe at what I poorly guessed as a bit over 300 yards. When he stood up I put the crosshairs just below the top of his back and pulled the trigger. He went down like a ton of bricks and slid out of sight. I waited about fifteen minutes and did the happy walk over to the bench. When I got there he was now where to be found. Just a few drops of blood and quite a bit of hair. Looking back I could see that I had grossly over estimated the range. I have since use a range finder on the shot and it is right at 200 yards. I hit right where I aimed.
That was a great buck and I never saw him again.

I see what you are saying now.

May be something to do with the low elevation here? Difference in barrels?

I am shooting a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle. Also have it in Remington 7400. Had my grandpas old 742 as well but let my uncle have it.

I had one in a mountain rifle. Detachable mag. I'm not sure why I sold it. It was a great rifle. A bit easier to carry than the M70, I'd say. Once all this shortage BS slows, I'm going to look for another.

You lose nothing with a 200 yard zero, still a point blank range shot at 100 yards. Seems even more prudent with factory 280 ammo, which is know for being a tad light. It sounds like you "botched" the range, not the shot. Get back out and shoot a little. Doesn't need to be the same gun, just some range time.

Good luck

Yea I have got to work up some loads for this rifle when I can find bullets.
I had one in a mountain rifle. Detachable mag. I'm not sure why I sold it. It was a great rifle. A bit easier to carry than the M70, I'd say. Once all this shortage BS slows, I'm going to look for another.

I am really liking the Mountain Rifle. Mine does not have the detachable mag.

Yea I have got to work up some loads for this rifle when I can find bullets.

I am really liking the Mountain Rifle. Mine does not have the detachable mag.

Do you ever run the 280AI through it and see what you come up with?

Back