Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Recommended reads for the winter?

Wyodeerhunter

Banned
Getting settled in for the long alaskan winter and was wondering if anyone has any books that they would recommend? This past summer I've read "Wild Men, Wild Alaska", "The Last Lecture", "The Alchemist", "Grizzlies and Grizzled Old Men" and "Sheep Hunting in Alaska". So obviously outdoor theme books are the majority of what I read. Go figure:rolleyes:

Thanks, and btw I would recommend any of the above reads EXCEPT Sheep hunting in Alaska. That one made me climb some crazy mountains this fall ;)

John Updike, Thomas Harris, James Lee Burke, Nelson DeMille, Cormac McCarthy, Tom Wolfe....when you get thru these, I'll give you s'more...

An innocent man - john grishams first non fiction book

the worst hard years

kite runner

For outdoors all the Andy Russel books

My favorite hunting related book is Warren Page's One Man's Wilderness.

David Petersen's stuff is pretty good.

If you'll email me, I've developed a spread sheet of a lot of outdoor/hunting related titles that I've compiled from threads like this on multiple message boards.

I'll second "One Man's Wilderness"
Also "Alaska Yukon Trophies Won and Lost" by G. O. Young, "Monarch of Deadman Bay" by Roger Caras, "The Quest for Dall Sheep" by Jack Wilson (if you want to climb more mts), "Highliners" by William McCloskey, and "Working on the Edge" by Spike Walker isn't bad either.

518VWC6MTPL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_AA219_PIsitb-sticker-dp-arrow,TopRight,-24,-23_SH20_OU01_.jpg

if you never read "Marine Sniper" the book about Carlos Hathcock's tours in Nam you are missing out on some good read. Hard one to put down at times.

A pro Eco-Terrorism book, shocker.

"pro Eco-Terrorism" has such a negative connotation. It is probably better to use the term "Explosive Habitat Enhancement Engineer". :D

At WyoDeerHunter's age, we should be encouraging him to read the classics of Edward Abbey before he heads straight to Hunter S. Thompson....

If you want to read about a different "A" place to hunt, the Peter Capstick books about hunting in Africa are great reads. Death in the Long Grass, Death in the Silent Places, and Death in the Dark Continent and a bnch of others.

If you want to read about some classic tiger hunts in India, pick up Man Eaters of Kumaon by Jim Corbett. Turn of the century tales of killing tigers that were eating Indians.

More votes for

David Petersen's stuff

Jim Corbett

Edward Abbey

Pretty cliche' but if you've never read Aldo grab that baby and read it a couple times.

I read all the CJ Box books during this past year. Main character is a Wyoming Game warden, most books are set in small town Wyoming. Mystery type....with some interesting story lines.

http://www.cjbox.net/

It depends on what you want to read about? History would be good.

The 10 Greatest Books of All Time
By Lev Grossman Monday, Jan. 15, 2007Author Tom Wolfe

Let's not mince words: literary lists are basically an obscenity. Literature is the realm of the ineffable and the unquantifiable; lists are the realm of menus and laundry and rotisserie baseball. There's something unseemly and promiscuous about all those letters and numbers jumbled together. Take it from me, a critic who has committed this particular sin many times over.

There are several lifetimes' worth of promising literary leads here—544 books in all. An 85-page appendix providing enlightened summaries of all the works mentioned is worth the price of admission all on its own. But to get you started, here, in all its glory, is the all-time, ultimate Top Top 10 list, derived from the top 10 lists of 125 of the world's most celebrated writers combined. Read it and— well, just read it.

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
Hamlet by William Shakespeare
The Great Gatsby F. Scott Fitzgerald
In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust
The Stories of Anton Chekhov by Anton Chekhov
Middlemarch by George Eliot
More Related
TIME’s 100 Best Novels
Oprah’s Book Club
The Journalism of David Foster Wallace
But what if—just for argument's sake—you got insanely rigorous about it. You went to all the big-name authors in the world—Franzen, Mailer, Wallace, Wolfe, Chabon, Lethem, King, 125 of them— and got each one to cough up a top-10 list of the greatest books of all time.

Thanks all for the help! I'll pick up a few this weekend. Thanks! I'll try that Abbey guy out....

1 pter I'll shoot you an email early next week....with dead critters ;)

Here's a list of Jack O'Connor's works. I have read nearly enough of them, but he is one of the classics. Game in the Desert is a fun read.

Conquest: A Novel of the Old West (1930)
Boom Town: A Novel of the Southwestern Silver Boom (1938)
Game in the Desert (1939)
Hunting in the Rockies (1947)
Sporting Guns (1947)
The Rifle Book (1949)
Hunting With a Binocular (1949)
Sportsman’s Arms and Ammunition Manual (1952)
The Big-Game Rifle (1952)
Jack O’Connor’s Gun Book (1953)
The Outdoor Life Shooting Book (1957)
The Complete Book of Rifles and Shotguns (1961) An updated excerpt from this book was later published as 7-Lesson Rifle Shooting Course.
The Big Game Animals of North America (1961)
Jack O’Connor’s Big Game Hunts (1963) Consists of 26 stories reprinted from Outdoor Life.
The Shotgun Book (1965)
The Art of Hunting Big Game in North America (1967)
Horse and Buggy West: A Boyhood on the Last Frontier (1969) Autobiographical.
The Complete Book of Shooting (1969)
The Hunting Rifle (1970)
Rifle and Shotgun Shooting Basics (1970)
Sheep and Sheep Hunting (1974)
Game in the Desert Revisited (limited edition of 1,000 copies in 1977, trade edition in 1984)
The Best of Jack O’Connor (1977)
The Hunter’s Shooting Guide (1978)
Hunting Big Game (1979)
The Last Book: Confessions of an Outdoor Gun Editor (1984)
Hunting on Three Continents With Jack O’Connor (1987)

Though some may be put off by some of the spiritual side of things, I've really enjoyed a couple of books by Ted Kerasote.

Since your living in AK, The Final Frontiersman: Heimo Korth and His Family, Alone in Alaska's Arctic Wilderness by James Campbell is a very good read. IIRC they were the last family to legally homestead in the ANWR.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back