Caribou Gear

Recommendations for New Pack?

MKotur325

Hey all!

I've been using a badlands 2800 for the past 7 or 8 years and it's getting pretty haggered. Over the past couple seasons several of the zipper pulls have broken, and the bag has developed a few tears... I've been reading lots of the pack threads recently, and just want to get some opinions. I also swapped packs with my dad for a season, and he used my 2800, while I swapped for his MR Longbow. I really liked that pack, and at this point, it's probably at the top of the list for me at the moment.

Looking for a daypack for hunting in MT. I really don't want anything bigger than about 3000CuIn. But something in that 2300-3000 range will be plenty... I have a tendency to fill a pack with unnessairy gear to fill the space if I have a big pack...

A few things I've liked about my badlands, I like the option to carry a rifle, though, I will rarely use it, and I like that the badlands has a fair amount of pockets to help organize gear. It also carries reasonably well.

A few things I didn't care for. The badlands is a nice pack, but the main pouch is TINY. About all I can actually fit in the main pouch is a jacket and my lunch. It has a ton of pockets and a ton of storage, but no Large spaces. I liked that about the MR Longbow.

The other thing I really liked about the longbow was, with a jacket on top of the pack, it was just tall enough for me to shoot from sitting off the pack, with the rifle on top of the frame, for a hasty shot this could be quite handy and would also be a plus for a new pack.

I like the idea of an external frame pack with a bag so that I can just get a new bag if needs change.

Ultimately, I'm looking for a solid and reliable day pack, that I can also put Elk quarters, or maybe 1/2 a mule deer on when the need arises. I would like something with a relatively large main pocket with a half dozen or so smaller pockets to organize gear. A spotting scope pocket would be a plus, as also would some external straps to attach random gear to the outside of the pack (tripod and such...). As far as budget for a pack, I know that a Longbow would run something like $450-500 with a frame, that's about the ballpark I'd be willing to invest in a pack at the moment. Open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!!

I have a Longbow and really like it. I also bought a gen 2 Metcalf, which I love. If you're not in a hurry, shop used. Pretty hard to ruin a MR pack.

Hey a
I like the idea of an external frame pack with a bag so that I can just get a new bag if needs change.

This is the only way I'd go if I was in your shoes. Some day you'll probably want or need a bigger pack for a backpack hunt.

I've gone through quite a few packs, and the one that I have now, I like everything about it... Kifaru High Camp and Bikini Frame. No frills, and a couple added pockets. It compresses to nothing, weighs nothing and can handle more weight than I can, even weird awkward loads. The MR NICE wasn't quite as versatile, but worked for 95% of what I asked. Packing moose antlers is a pretty tall task, and usually best on a solid external frame, but the Kifaru Bikini has performed just as well or better.

This is the only way I'd go if I was in your shoes. Some day you'll probably want or need a bigger pack for a backpack hunt.

I've gone through quite a few packs, and the one that I have now, I like everything about it... Kifaru High Camp and Bikini Frame. No frills, and a couple added pockets. It compresses to nothing, weighs nothing and can handle more weight than I can, even weird awkward loads. The MR NICE wasn't quite as versatile, but worked for 95% of what I asked. Packing moose antlers is a pretty tall task, and usually best on a solid external frame, but the Kifaru Bikini has performed just as well or better.

Taking a deeper look at these Kifaru pack, but is it just me... Or with a frame, bag, lid and a load sling... Is it just me or is that $800 for a pack?!?! That's a bitter pill to swallow... Other than packing a Monster Alaskan Moose out, was there anything particular that the NICE frame wasn't well suited to? It's going to be difficult for me to justify nearly double the price for a kifaru.

Last edited:
Might want to also look at the Kifaru Late Season. That plus a gun bearer sounds like it may fit your needs.

Taking a deeper look at these Kifaru pack, but is it just me... Or with a frame, bag, lid and a load sling... Is it just me or is that $800 for a pack?!?! That's a bitter pill to swallow... Other than packing a Monster Alaskan Moose out, was there anything particular that the NICE frame wasn't well suited to? It's going to be difficult for me to justify nearly double the price for a kifaru.

Is it just me or are you willing to spend $500 on a day pack? :D Just think how much more you get to spend when you "need" that bigger bag for your frame.

I've found that the bigger packs work just as well as the smaller day packs, and will do so much more, all for just a bit more money. We all have our own style of hunting, if a day pack is all you need, go for it. I think the MR pack is a solid option and a bit cheaper not doubt. There are all sorts of deals on used ones.

I don't have experience with the Long Bow, but unless it has a frame extension like the 6500, I personally wouldn't buy one, but I'm sure others would disagree.

There's a pretty good deal posted here on a Stone Glacier. I think that would be another solid option, that will do 95% of what I want a pack for.

Is it just me or are you willing to spend $500 on a day pack? :D Just think how much more you get to spend when you "need" that bigger bag for your frame.

I've found that the bigger packs work just as well as the smaller day packs, and will do so much more, all for just a bit more money. We all have our own style of hunting, if a day pack is all you need, go for it. I think the MR pack is a solid option and a bit cheaper not doubt. There are all sorts of deals on used ones.

I don't have experience with the Long Bow, but unless it has a frame extension like the 6500, I personally wouldn't buy one, but I'm sure others would disagree.

There's a pretty good deal posted here on a Stone Glacier. I think that would be another solid option, that will do 95% of what I want a pack for.

I wouldn't say that I Want to spend $500 on a daypack, but I realize that the MR that has my eye at the moment will cost close to that. That being said, I don't want to put $500 into a pack that I'm not going to like. I want to make sure that I'm considering the options that are out there, since I haven't really been paying attention to what's out there.

You mentioned packing Moose antlers was better suited on the Kifaru than the MR Frame. Are there any other things that you put on a NICE frame that it wasn't well suited to? There is a frame extension that can be used with the Longbow.

I've also been looking at the Stone Glacier's and the EXO. If there are other options I may not be looking at, I'm all ears...

If you're just looking for a day pack don't forget about Crooked Horn Outfitters. They have some very nice packs.

Look at the Kuiu packs, you can interchange their 3 pack sizes on the same frame. I recently purchased the Ultra 6000 for packing in & bought the 1800 bag only for day pack. IMO the prices are not bad at all. I am impressed with the packs, have loaded them up here at the house & wore around but have not been in the field yet. Super lightweight and carries a load nicely, haven't had an animal in it yet though. Also you can check out some YouTube vids on this pack that are impressive.

I would recommend Mystery Ranch. Packed out bear, wolf, deer, elk, antelope and never had an issue.

take a look at "blacks creek packs",,,they have 3 different pack sizes and 1 frame set up,,,I picked up the anti-dote 3000ci pack size and like it,also unlimited meat shelf area for packing the meat out,made in u s a also.

I would look at the outdoorsman optics pack or the Eberlestock team elk. I have the outdoorsman and am very happy with it. Before this pack I used a Eberlestock X1 which was a good day pack but lacked room for packing animals out (2000i). The outdoorsmans external frame and a good amount of room for gear and meat when successful and when teamed with a Kifaru gun bearer which is the best thing since sliced bread is a system hard to beat.

I had an eberlestock J34 and liked it, got a good deal on an outdoorsman pack and liked it better but still wasn't 100% happy with it.

Tried out a Paradox pack and a stone glacier solo and I'm using the stone glacier solo now.

Alps eps

I just got my pack off amazon for $89 TYD. It is really well built but possibly a little heavy for the hardcore guys. It has an internal frame and expands for meat storage.

I really think you only have 4 real options for solid multi use hunting packs.

MR NICE. you can start off with a longbow/metcalf and upgrade to a larger bag if needed down the road.

Kifaru bikini with any one of there smaller bags

SG solo and up it to a larger bag down the road

Kuiu ultra 3000 and once again up it down the road if needed.

I'm sorry but other than these 4, I really don't think a guy is going to be really happy in the long run. Other than the kuiu, these might be a little higher than what you want to spend but in the long run you'll be ahead. They all have options for smaller to larger bags, will all form meat shelves in one way or another to be used as a pack frame/extra cu/in, and they all have great warranties and many add on options.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back