Recommendations for .270 non-lead <130gr bullets?

I usually find the Bsrnes to shoot better when seated a little deeper. It makes s very big difference in how they shoot.

If those lrx didnt work for ya, I would try the nosler 130 e-tips. They have some for sale now in their shooters pro shop for 15 bucks for 50.

I'm about done with this Tikka. I must have a lemon, I just tried the exact recipe goldenarrow posted with ~5" group at 100. Honesty, I don't think I've found anything that's MOA.

If anyone hears of a good deal over the next 6-months on an actually GOOD shooting rifle, shoot me a PM. I bought my Tikka used, not sure I'll ever do that again, guys sell lemons... to guys like me.

Tried the 110 grain TTSX in my Winchester 1885 Highwall and the gun didn't like them, but it loves the 130 grain TTSX over 52.5 grains of H4350 @ 3,075 fps. - 0.65 MOA

I've worked the 130 gr TTSX up and down with H4350, H4831, R22, and now Ramshot Hunter....

The best I found was about 1.5 to 1.75" groups (5 shot), with Accubonds and 4831. I still have a half a box that might have to work for WY antelope coming up next week. Or I need to borrow a rifle from a friend.

I've worked the 130 gr TTSX up and down with H4350, H4831, R22, and now Ramshot Hunter....

The best I found was about 1.5 to 1.75" groups (5 shot), with Accubonds and 4831. I still have a half a box that might have to work for WY antelope coming up next week. Or I need to borrow a rifle from a friend.

Sorry if you already answered, but have you looked at seating depth. TTSX really do need a nice jump.

I messed with it a little, I tried just off the lands for a couple mixes, but I really need something that fits in the magazine in order for it to be effective. I'll likely spend more time adjusting seating based on the feedback from everyone.

make sure you're starting with a clean barrel, too--if you've got 2 different jacket materials in there, it could cause it to be finicky. Clean really well, and then shoot at least 5 rounds of the Barnes to re-foul the barrel. Then start shooting for groups. Typically Barnes like .050 off the lands as the starting point (that used to be their universal recommendation.) Or you could try the Hornady Full Boar stuff with GMX bullets.

I would give the Nosler 270cal 130gr E-Tips a try with a dose of H4831. I've had great success with both IMR4831 or H4831 in the 270Win and 130 grain bullets.

I messed with it a little, I tried just off the lands for a couple mixes, but I really need something that fits in the magazine in order for it to be effective. I'll likely spend more time adjusting seating based on the feedback from everyone.

If you go TTSX or TSX they like more jump than many traditional bullets. You typically start then 0.050 off the lands and try further off the lands, like 0.055, 0.065, 0.075. Some have reported as much as 0.100 or even more are preferred by these bullets. Mine worked best at 0.065 off of lands. This actually helps if you are trying to work with magazine limitations.

I always set my OAL so the cartridges fit the magazine well. Every gun I’ve loaded Barnes for I’ve done this way, and achieved sub MOA with all of them.

I emailed Barnes when I was working up a load for my 300 RUM with the 200 gr LRX. I was told:

“They do not like to be seated any closer than .050" off the lands. Most guns prefer .075" - .125" off. My 300 Win Mags have a deep throat but they shoot best at almost .200" off.”

He was talking about TTSXs. The load I settled on was .180” off the lands.

Last edited:
I think I finally found the problem. The STOCK! something within the synthetic stock that wasn't letting the action seat correctly against the recoil pad embedded in the stock! The top of the recoil lug had marking that matched the bottom of the action, not the groove in it, plus the holes that hold the action into the stock had serious tread patterns on the back sides, like with every shot the screws were being smashed into the stock. I realized that the stock has always been a bit of struggle to seat onto the action, I now wonder if it's even the correct stock at all (I bought the gun used).

So now Boyd's or Bell and Carlson or anything else out there?

Go with an HS precision, Bell and Carlson or something that has at least pillar bedding, full aluminum bedding blocks are better but pricier. On your original question I think if you're switching to nonlead on thin skinned game you really need to ask yourself if it's worth it. We were forced to switch in CA and if I could wave a magic wand to go back to traditional ammo I would. However if you are going to make the switch make sure your using a lighter bullet that's screaming out of the barrel. Factory ammo like the hornady superformance GMX or that the bullet has a softer copper alloy like the barnes LRX and be familiar with your ballistics and know what range your bullet will still perform as intended as antelope shots tend to be longer range... good luck

Last edited:
Back