Caribou Gear Tarp

Rebuild of an '85 Bass Tracker Boat.

Sytes

I picked up an '85 Bass Tracker aluminum Jon w/ forward V boat, 17 foot. This is in 1985 condition though seems it's been mostly stored away from weather.

Going to refurbish this boat over time from decks to console.

It has a Mercury 50hp two stroke that I got lucky with... Simple air pressure shot up the water outtake while running fixed the impeller and actually made the motor run smoothly. Motor wise, I would really enjoy a four stroke though... It is what it is, budget blessed by the Queen.

Edit added: Brief motor flick. It did not idle and I believed the impeller was seized as no water was shooting through the out-take. I replaced the fuel tank, and hose, added an inline fuel filter, cleaned the engine fuel filter and placed premium, no ethanol fuel and sea foam fuel additive. Called Mercury to get the specific part # for impeller and carburator kits. Ran into a great parts guy who advised me to blow compressed air into the water out-take while the motor was operating... I did so, a few times over and sure enough, the motor idles great, water shoots out great... Etc. Going to rebuild the carb soon more for the sake of unknown last time this was done. I did play with the float. Worked well.

Has an earlier style front, foot control trolling motor that I'll upgrade eventually. Currently it works. Originally connected by alligator clips to a front battery that sat on the deck.

I installed two of the larger 650 CCA marine deep cycle batteries, linked them together and ran a recharger unit (Husqvarna) that is fixed to the batteries. Plug in and recharge begins.

Fished 10/2 wire from the batteries to a breaker and from there to the console and to the front to connect the trolling motor each with their fuse.

Last edited:
Intend to maintain an operating level to use as I route through this process.

Purchased a Lowrance Hook2 7x Fish Finder and found myself with the first question...
Where to mount the screen? At the console or the front deck trolling motor area?

What are the advantages? I'm thinking the console as I would use the main drive to find the fish... If the fish Gods shine upon me... From there I would drop the trolling motor. I can not afford 2 units. Thoughts?
996179bb-98e5-48f4-bf93-ccb852a9b2bd_1.01393d2a53cb3601b4f1731fba0d3747.jpeg

I would put the fish finder where ever you will be when you are fishing. If most of your fishing is trolling than I would put it on the console. If you will be throwing plugs/baits from the bow I would place it there. Is the screen large enough that you could mount it on the bow and still read it from the console? Or buy another transducer and rig one for the bow and the other for the console and then move the fish finder where it is needed.

Last edited:
Anyone tried two mount locations with an extension cord type setup? I don't know if such exists though is this possible? Keep it at the console, able to reposition on the front deck?

Added short video clip of the motor to the original post. Thanks for the input thus far. I like the swivel mount idea.

Anyone tried two mount locations with an extension cord type setup? I don't know if such exists though is this possible? Keep it at the console, able to reposition on the front deck?
Just buy a second transducer and run the second wire to the bow.

Good luck on your new boat. As for "sake of unknown" I'd still replace water pump even though it's pissing fine now, and also the fuel pump. I'm making an effort to change at least the impeller once a year in my boat just for peace of mind. After I got in a bind on the water late one night by myself it's worth it. Fuel pump, just once less thing to worry about failing and troubleshooting if you have problems later down the road. Shouldn't be expensive for 50hp and gaskets might not be in the best shape depending when/if was replaced.

As important as the boat is don't forget to repack the trailer bearings and make sure seals are still good. At tractor supply you can buy hub kits already set for close the cost of new bearings, seals, and grease, or a least keep one as a spare. Don't do any good to have the trailer to break down on the way to the launch.

Going Saturday to look at a little 10ft John boat and a 6hp motor for a heck of a deal......maybe. If the motor is a lemon well the boat is fair price, but will buy the motor if compression is good. I'm mechanically challenged, but looking forward to a little project boat now that I understand a few things learned the hard way. Using it for a little boat to access some hard to get to public land hunting spots that don't have boat launches.

Good luck on your new boat. As for "sake of unknown" I'd still replace water pump even though it's pissing fine now, and also the fuel pump. I'm making an effort to change at least the impeller once a year in my boat just for peace of mind. After I got in a bind on the water late one night by myself it's worth it. Fuel pump, just once less thing to worry about failing and troubleshooting if you have problems later down the road. Shouldn't be expensive for 50hp and gaskets might not be in the best shape depending when/if was replaced.

As important as the boat is don't forget to repack the trailer bearings and make sure seals are still good. At tractor supply you can buy hub kits already set for close the cost of new bearings, seals, and grease, or a least keep one as a spare. Don't do any good to have the trailer to break down on the way to the launch.

Going Saturday to look at a little 10ft John boat and a 6hp motor for a heck of a deal......maybe. If the motor is a lemon well the boat is fair price, but will buy the motor if compression is good. I'm mechanically challenged, but looking forward to a little project boat now that I understand a few things learned the hard way. Using it for a little boat to access some hard to get to public land hunting spots that don't have boat launches.

Everything said above.
Replace impeller. It will dry rot and lose a blade that will take out the others and clog the passage it will leave you stranded.
If only one finder mount it at the console on a rotating mount you will want depth and water temp often as you fish.
Also drop then oil out of the lower unit and have a good look at it.

Pulled off the hub cap covers and there is no water present. After an hour driving I've felt the hub area. No significant heat buildup so thus far, good. I'm feeling alright with the bearings grease packing, for this year though will check frequently. I had a tire seize on me due to not checking the hub assembly on a boat from earlier days so that's definitely on my trip checklist / annual maintenance.

...As important as the boat is don't forget to repack the trailer bearings and make sure seals are still good. At tractor supply you can buy hub kits already set for close the cost of new bearings, seals, and grease, or a least keep one as a spare...
sounds like a simplified method! Good tip.

*Best to you on your small boat purchase. Hope that works out.

Bought new radial tires.

Going to replace the running boards and sideboards on the trailer. Curious, I imagine this would be done next time at the lake though is there other ways?

Will replace the hand winch as that's seen better days.

Today I'm working on a bit of cosmetics. Going to repair the console area, puddy the cracks/breaks and sand the plastic w/120g, clean it, use that 2x primer paint, clear an area for a swivel mount (thinking side angle attachment) and cut out the lower portion of the back side so my feet can stretch through.

Mount the Lowrance. Watched a couple YouTubes on this process (God's gift to rookies) and it appears pretty straightforward with emphasis on the transducer placement... Not where I expected it to go so glad that was researched a tad.

Just buy a second transducer and run the second wire to the bow.
Probably the better route... Though the price for a second transducer. Also, I'm not sure they make a bow mounted transducer for side imaging... (?). That mount onto the trolling motor?

With that, how the heck does the "Side Imaging" successfully collect info to the port side if mounted upwards on the stern/starboard side? Does it not interfere with the lower motor portion?

Last edited:
The impeller kit and carburetor kit were ordered when the gent tipped me about blowing the compressed air through the out-take.

I'll order another engine fuel filter.

I'm a bit hesitant replacing the impeller portion. That looks a bit daunting. I'm going to jump into it however removing the lower portion of the motor has me shaking in my boots a bit! Haha! YouTube for the win again.

The impeller kit and carburetor kit were ordered when the gent tipped me about blowing the compressed air through the out-take.

I'll order another engine fuel filter.

I'm a bit hesitant replacing the impeller portion. That looks a bit daunting. I'm going to jump into it however removing the lower portion of the motor has me shaking in my boots a bit! Haha! YouTube for the win again.

A second set of hands would definitely help. Removing the lower unit is easy. It's putting it back on while handling the weight at an odd angle that will make you cuss. Just make sure it all lines up properly and your shift linkage is right.

Yes thank God for all the mechanically sound people that post youtube videos, and for smart phones so you can follow step by step and pause to cuss. They turn monkeys into experts.

I'm just finishing up a boat project myself. It has been a three year project for me. First year was getting it seaworthy, which included welding the cracks in the hull, fixing the trailer, and getting the motor running. Second year was upgrading the troller, new fish finder and new throttle control. This year I'm putting a new deck on it and rewiring everything.

Some advice, for what it's worth. If there are rivets below the water line paint the hull. Use "Duralux" paint. They make a couple of different types of paint for aluminum, get the expensive one. It is thick and will seal the rivets.

Another something to check. A few years ago I gave my brother a 10hp Merc I'd had since the 70's. It hadn't been run for 20 years. He replaced the impeller and had it running real good. He likes to troll and it did great. About the 5th trip it caught fire. One of the gas lines had deteriorated and sprung a leak. Luckily, I didn't do much damage but he had a few anxious moments out on the water. Check all the rubber.

Back