Reasons for bald spots

texasbucksandbirds

I recently got a call from my taxidermist about a hog mount I was having done, biggest pig I had ever killed, 320 lbs w/ 3" tusks top and bottom. He said it had a few bald spots where the hair fell off due to a bacteria that starts growing as soon as the animal dies. I had never used this taxidermist before and had heard a few things after dropping off the pig. Is the bacteria reason true, I had never heard of this before, or is there some other cause for this to happen ? Any input is greatly appreciated.

it is called hair slippage. Either you, or he did not get the hide cooled off fast enough or it was not properly handled by him after it was given to him. no one will know for sure who messed up, but lesson learned to get the hide off and cold as fast as possible. Also keep the hide DRY as possible. Salt if possible, rub salt into the inside side of the hide and real good around eye lashes and any thicker hide area.

My experience is that when there is hair slippage the Taxi almost always blames the customer for not getting the hide cooled down quick enough. And there is no way to say they are wrong. SOmetimes they probably are not, but I am always leary of using a new Taxi.

Back