MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Reason for Grinder Clogging

Bigger grinder will help. I have a cabelas 22 and it eats as fast as I can feed it, but I sharpen the blade every time. Just a quick job on fine sandpaper. Run blade in circular motion. Its easy. I am on my original blades and have have done a ALOT of deer, elk and hogs. A larger grinder is nice so not to have to cut the pieces up smaller.
I am guessing you have never sharpened your blade and that is why its becoming more difficult to grind.

I tend to run my grind through slightly frozen and I don't get as much clogging. If it is fully thawed it wants to plug up in the grinder.

I used a old hand grinder for years then my buddies wife got an attachement for her big old kitchenaid mixer.
That thing was more work than the old hand crank chopper my great granny gave me. I bought a Lem 1 hp 22 big bite
On a 40% off sale and very happy with it. I still chill the meat before I grind. I like being able to cut long strips and feed them thru it. It sure reduces the cutting time getting the meat ready to grind. No matter what grinder you use it still important to keep the plates and cutters in good shape. Its easy to clean up after the works done.

As others have mentioned, grinding with room temperature meat will result in quick clogging. Throw the meat in the freezer (or outside if it's cold out) until it's nearly frozen and things will go much smoother.

I have a small grinder myself, I had clogging problems as well, then I had a butcher tell me to try a few things, 1- chill the meat, only pull out what you intend to grind right away, don't leave it out for more than 15 minutes before grinding, and 2- put the entire grinder assembly in the freezer the night before,( the hopper & blades), since I was told that, it's made a world of difference processing game meat.

As stated above, after you cut it into chunks put it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. I tried it and went from cleaning it out every few minutes to grinding a whole deer without having to stop and clean it out once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back