Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Reason for Grinder Clogging

JTHOMP

Lots of thread on grinders for brands and size and they're similar to asking which rifle round is best. I am currently debating if I want to upgrade my grinder. One question I had not seen directly answered is if a bigger grinder will result in less clogging. I don't mind trimming away obvious pieces of fat and sliver skin and giving that to the chickens, but I also don't want to spend a whole lot of time and wasted meat trimming every single little thing that can clog the grinder.

I've used my current grinder the past couple years for a few animals and it has worked, but really want to start doing more processing and have it go smoother. Last night I grinded 6 pounds of wild pig and it was struggling getting the six pounds on a medium grind. Anymore and I would have had to stop and clean it out before continuing. Everything was kept cold with the cubed pieces somewhat frozen. One person has suggested replacing the blade as it might be dull. If that is all it takes then great. Anyone verify this?

My next grind will be 40 pounds of meat for sausage. If all I need is a new blade I'll try to pick one up before then and test it out on some other meat before a big batch.
But I'm wondering if
1) Will a bigger grinder lead to less clogging?
2) Will a bigger grinder allow me to go straight to a fine grind without clogging? (terrible idea with my current grinder)
3) Or is the size of the grinder not valid and I just need to do more trimming?

For reference here is what I'm currently running with
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYWUA8Z/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Short answer is that grinder is too small. I used one about that size for years but it was a pain. I upgraded to a Cabelas 1/2 horse grinder 15+ years ago and although it is not perfect it is way better than the other one was. If I had it to do over I would have purchased an even more powerful one than I did.

I upgraded this past fall to a 1HP LEM (22). Before that I was using a kitchenaid with the grinder attachment. The kitchenaid was fine for what I was doing, but that was only about 5 pounds of scraps after I turned everything else into steaks or roasts. I.e., I ground less because it was a PITA to do. I didn't really have clogging but would have to pull the silver skin out now and again.

The new grinder goes through it all like nothing. I haven't tried direct to fine grind, but I will in the future, because I'm confident the grinder can do it and because it handles pushing larger chunks of meat better then it does coarse grind on a two grind operation.

The only disappointment with the new grinder is that its a bit of a buzz kill. The actual grinding was over almost as soon as it started. It did about 22 pounds in just a couple of minutes, if that.

I bought the #22 during Black Friday sales (waited months, looking for a good deal). $486 shipped. It was still a significant investmetn for me at that price given the few deer I kill each year. The upside is that I now do a lot more 'different products' - i.e., sausage, burger, etc., and hopefully, its one of the tools I'll hand down that will keep my kids interested in hunting as they grow older.

If you buy a weston grinder online use the code meateater to get 20% off i believe. Hard to beat that

Definitely a good time to buy with that deal.
Just want to get a better idea of expectations and limitations if do upgrade to a .5, .75, 1hp

I'm using a .5hp grinder and for me that seems to work pretty well. This year my grinder processed for me 1 cow elk and 1 whitetail deer (and associated pork to make sausage), a friend processed 1 bull elk (with minimal trim fat for sausage), and another processed the smallest whitetail north of the known Coues population (no pork trim for sausage). If I were to do it again I think I'd go with a min of 0.75hp just so I can get away with a bit bigger pieces going a little faster but I didn't feel that 0.5hp grinder prevented me from making good grind but it may have been a touch slower than I would prefer. The 1hp rigs seem to have an insatiable appetite for meat so it's probably more of a speed thing than ability to make a good grind.

For the average guy getting by with a consumer model from Amazon that an upgrade to a 0.5-.75HP grinder will be probably plenty.

Last edited:
I have a 3/4hp Carnivore and never had it clog on me. I have done batches of 30lbs+ of trim and sausage with no issues. I would say you're undersized.

Anyone know if the meateater code is still valid for Weston? Trying to type it in every way I can but it's not pulling up. I thought it was valid all of 2019. Skipping through episodes to trying and find the add, but if anyone knows off the top of the head let me know.

3/4 horse cabelas and I run all meat through the fine plate 1 time and straight into the bag.

You said you current grinder has worked for you. Before you spend a chunk of change on a new grinder you may want to try a new blade and plate. You would be amazed at what a difference a sharp grinder blade and plate will make.

Try sharpening your grinder blades. Some are dull even when new. Easily accomplished using a small, flat file. When I worked at an old school butcher shop as a kid, those blades got sharpened daily.

I would not recommend using a file. You will not be able to hold the file at the exact same angle on each blade and take off the same amount of cutting edge.
I used a sharpening stone that allowed me to contact all 4 blades on the stone at the same time.

You said you current grinder has worked for you. Before you spend a chunk of change on a new grinder you may want to try a new blade and plate. You would be amazed at what a difference a sharp grinder blade and plate will make.
This. Try this before spending the big bucks. Cabelas/bass pro have all the size plates and blades for almost all standard size grinders.

If that doesn't work, go big. Mine's a Globe 1 HP rated to 250 lbs an hour, but I still have to do my part to make sure it doesn't clog. make sure the blade is on the right way and tight against the plate. Make sure the meat is COLD..I like mine just on the edge of getting frozen and cut into smaller chunks.
I've had mine about 15 years and I believe I've replaced the blade just once.

I did a good job of convincing myself of buying a new one until the last few posts. Meateater code is good for awhile and it will be May before I'm able to buy a pig for sausage, so have time to experiment. Prior to the recent use I did pickup a #8 cabelas blade thinking it was the same size but the female part was just a little too small for it to fit onto the grinder. Since the grinder is not a more standard brand I wonder if the male end of the auger is not standard size. I'll figure that out first then look more into upgrading.

Thanks for the replys so far.

Had my grinder clogged once found a 300 grain Barnes .50 cal broke the blade. We all blamed my brother don’t know how he wouldn’t notice a bullet channel in the meat. Lucky it was a cabelas 3/4 had my brother and uncle run down a buy a new one. I run huge chunks of meat threw it and rarely use the plunger.

JTHOMP- I had a similarly sized grinder as yours and had the same issues. Even tried a new blade, but it still clogger and was slow. Bought a 3/4 hp cabelas brand and wish I would have bought it many years earlier. The Mrs was apprehensive about the purchase as we only need a grinder a few times a year. After one elk she was agreed it was worth the cost. They are expensive, but make life so much easier. You don’t have to cut the meat into small cubes or worry about silver skin with the more powerful models.

I have a 3/4hp Carnivore and never had it clog on me. I have done batches of 30lbs+ of trim and sausage with no issues. I would say you're undersized.
I have the same one and I think I could stick the entire leg in bone and all and it wouldn't skip a beat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back