RCBS Rebel

Brian in Montana

I'm thinking it's time to upgrade my press and I'm looking carefully at RCBS. Pretty much leaning towards a Rock Chucker Supreme, but I understand the Rebel is sort of the next generation of that design. Any impressions of the Rebel?

I recently watched that YouTube video put out by Ultimate Reloader - the 14 single stage press shootout, or some such title. Some of you guys have probably seen it. Anyway after watching the video and reading all the related info and minute pieces of data, I was very impressed with the results of the Rock Chucker.

The same guy did another video "comparing" the RC Supreme with the Rebel, but notably left out any of the interesting data about bullet and brass concentricity and runout. It struck me as odd, but this could be one of those cases in which the silence is deafening. Anybody have experience with the 2 presses?

FWIW - you may want to look at the Lee 4 hole classic turret press. You can use it as a manual progressive or manual single stage - it is less than either of the two RCBS you reference and in my experience is rock solid - no runout/concentricity problems in my testing.

I have two RC Supremes. Great presses. Grabbed the second at a gun show cheap. I couldn't resist.

Just mounted my new supreme a couple weeks ago. Haven't done a ton with it, but enough to know it was a huge upgrade over my inherited JR2.

I've got the Rock Chucker Supreme and it's a solid press, and the only thing I can't use it for is loading a few of the really long Black Powder cartridges. The Rebel is scaled up 20%, so you need to question whether or not you need that much more size. For everything up to a 375 H&H case, the Rock Chucker will work just fine, beyond that are you're wise to choose the Rebel. I like the grease fitting on the front though.

The rebel does look to be a good choice. I like the upgrades they made to it. The primers exiting the base of the ram seems like a great idea. You can’t go wrong with either of your choices though.

FWIW - you may want to look at the Lee 4 hole classic turret press. You can use it as a manual progressive or manual single stage - it is less than either of the two RCBS you reference and in my experience is rock solid - no runout/concentricity problems in my testing.
A Lee over RCBS? No way. mtmuley

I've been using a Rock Chucker for about 30 yrs now. Before that I used a RCBS Jr. Calling going from one to the other an upgrade I wouldn't do. Both did everything I wanted them to do. Got a Dillon to load 9mm's on but couldn't get along with it so sold it and went back to using my Rock Chucker. Figured it out over the years and pretty much any press you buy will do pretty much all you need. If a single stage press is to slow, got to something like the Lee or someone else's auto press. I finally figured it out, I never needed that Dillon because I didn't shoot handguns near as much as rifles. Couple boxes of handgun ammo on hand has always been more than enough. But up grade to me sound's mostly like you have money burning a hole in your pocket! Your a competitive pistol shooter I just might be wrong!

I'm new to reloading and bought the rebel kit... Anyone know if there is a certain type of lubricant/grease I should be using? I couldn't find it in the documentation.

Whatever is in the grease gun is what the presses get once a year. I generally don't spend much on grease. Others may need to be more retentive about it so I'll let them correct me. :)

Whatever is in the grease gun is what the presses get once a year. I generally don't spend much on grease. Others may need to be more retentive about it so I'll let them correct me. :)
right or wrong, I do the same. Several different presses got some red high temp bearing grease recently. Should be good for 15000 miles

right or wrong, I do the same. Several different presses got some red high temp bearing grease recently. Should be good for 15000 miles
It works for everything. I used to get it from work. Now I have to get it out of pocket. Dang.

Back