Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Getting started

Glockster

I know this has been asked numerous times over the history of HT but I going to ask any way. I’m looking for a very basic set up and single stage press. I only plan on reloading for .243 and .308.
i’ve been going back-and-forth between a rock chucker single stage and a hornady single stage. I plan on saving up and just getting the RCBS charge master for a powder measure.
Does anyone have an inventory list of their favorite tools they would wanna send my way?

Search function is your friend.

There are good starter kits from RCBS, Hornady and Lee. But each have some components that are limited and often (but not always) folks end up upgrading some parts - which raises long term overall cost. I went a different path and pulled the items together individually that best fit my intended uses. I found these two links super helpful to that end.

Building a Reloading Setup: The Essentials

Expanding and Refining a Reloading Setup

Also, these three youtube channels are useful resources:

Plus BigFin has a nice 6 part series done with Nosler:

I started out with a Rock Chucker master reloading kit almost 20 years ago. I also bought a case trimmer, powder trickler and a dial caliper. A set of shell holders comes in handy too. I've picked up manuals from most major bullet/powder companies too. If you are shooting 308 and ever want to reload military brass, you'll need a swaging die. Just my opinion but unless you have your mind made up on a chargemaster, you can get by with the scale that comes with the kit and a trickler.

I don’t have my heart set on the charge master. That seemed like one of the things that everybody recommended getting at some point.

If you go with RCBS, wait to pull the trigger until they have a promotion for a mail in rebate (Buy Green Get Green) going on and wait for a sale at one of the approved retailers. I got my initial setup a couple years ago (Rock Chucker Supreme Kit, a set of dies, decapping die, shell holders) for a little under $340 from Cabela's. Used 3 $100 Cabela's gift cards that I bought for $80 each so total out of pocket was 278, then got a $100 rebate from RCBS. If you play it right you can get started pretty inexpensively.

The Lee Challenger kits are cheap and work really great as well. You'll eventually switch a few things out but most of what I got in the original kit is still around for backups.

I'm a manual trickler guy with my rifle ammo. Getting that perfect number by hand just feels right (and I just like disagreeing with VikingsGuy).

I don't think a guy just getting going has any idea of what he really needs or want's. So I think the best way is to buy a kit. When I started the only kit I knew of was the Lee Loader! We've come a long way but as I recall the first deer I ever killed was killed with a bullet loaded with that old Lee Loader. The least expensive kit going now is, I think, the Lee kit and it will produce as good ammo and a kit costing much more. I've been using a Rock Chucker close to 30 yrs now and it actually doesn't make any better ammo than my original RCBS Jr! In fact my most accurate rifle ever was a Rem 788 in 222 Rem I got for $89 brand new and fired ammo loaded with that old Jr! Point is don't get caught up in the idea that if you don't spend more money, you won't get as good of results, completely false! Something about kit's in the past, there were a couple necessary thing's missing. Dial micrometer for measuring case length. Need it for that but not really necessary for loading a bullet off the lands. Of course it's nice to know your over all length and for that you need the micrometer! You also need a case trimmer. Your don't have one and it's just a matter of time till the case intrude's on the lands, that's not good!

So unless your knee deep in money I'd suggest the Lee kit. The scale it came with when I got one for my son was awful but it worked! New scale of better quality could cost quite a bit and not be any more accurate. Keep in mind I'm talking about a starter here! The powder measure was great for unloading when you were done. But my son told me it threw powder out on the bench! Getting started I could live with that till I actually had an idea of what I wanted When I got that set for my son, it did not come with a case trimmer. Seem's I read that now they do. The Lee Trimmer I saw is dedicated to one particular cartridge though. Doesn't amount to much more than a short steel rod with a cutter on it and a stop built in Probably a lot slower than the trimmer I have but then mine is a lot slower than what I could get if I was to spend more money!

Getting going in reloading does not require a great deal of cash really. But a whole lot of people with the idea of you get what you pay for will tell you different I've known some that couldn't afford the more expensive equipment so they saved up till they had the money. Then they started loading ammo as good as they could have with the less expensive set.

Keep in mind, it's not the tool, its the mechanic!

Thank you guys for your responses. I was able to find a guy here in town and has about 40 years of reloading experience. We discussed what I was wanting to do and he actually threw together a list of items that he would recommend using. Sounds like he’ll help me get my feet underneath me on this process.
I am still going to watch the YouTube stuff and and listen to what you fine gentlemen have to say. Looking forward to getting rolling.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back