Reloading help

HuntMT16

I am trying to get everything I need to start reloading my own ammo. I've been looking around online and there are some "starter" kits out there, but from what I've seen those kits do not include "Everything" you need. I know the basics of needing the dies, shell holders, press, powder measurements etc. but I was hoping someone with more knowledge than I have (which doesn't take much since I have zero knowledge in this area) would be willing to make a simple list of everything that I will need to purchase to get up and running. Obviously quality is important so I am looking at RCBS equipment, but if there are any items needed that you can buy cheaper products without sacrificing quality, I would appreciate that too. If you need the info, I plan to get a simple press for loading one round at a time and will be reloading for my .300 win mag, .308, .243 and 6.5 creedmoor.

Thanks in advance

When I started 2 years ago I did a ton of reading. In the end I found these two articles by Gary Zinn the most useful. I built my own setup basis these articles (and some other reading) rather than buy a starter kit knowing I was just going to quickly turn around and replace some of the crappy parts In those kits anyway. I liked the excercise of understand what each component did and why it was the right choice for how I planned to load and for my goals (going lead-free on my hunting ammo without compromising performance due to limited factory offerings at the time, wringing accuracy out of my target guns and having another hobby - I didn’t delude myself into thinking I would save money).

Calipers are a must. I worked in my family's woodworking supply store for many years and can tell you there isn't a world of difference between $18 calipers and $75 calipers. I like my Hornady ogive comparator.
Maybe in the woodworking trade there isn't but I am an engineer in the metal fabrication and machining industry and I can tell you there is a huge difference in $18.00 calipers and $75.00 to $150.00 calipers.

Maybe in the woodworking trade there isn't but I am an engineer in the metal fabrication and machining industry and I can tell you there is a huge difference in $18.00 calipers and $75.00 to $150.00 calipers.

I've used calipers all across the spectrum for woodworking and reloading. For a reloading press where you're making unmarked seating depth adjustments and dealing with bullets and cases that will inevitably vary by the tens of thousands, I think calipers are a place where he can "buy cheaper products without sacrificing quality." Disagree if you want, but I stand by it.

The calipers are a must, but an over-all-length gauge is fine, IF it has the cartridge that you are trying to load included. You do not need an expensive caliper. I have been using a cheapo for years. It does not have to be micro-exact. You need a press (you do not need to buy the fancy expensive crap), a powder dispenser, a balance scale (don't trust the electronic, unless it has a way to verify it), a case tumbler is fine, but you can clean the casings by hand, if they get real bad. Not important. A powder trickler is a must, to be able to trickle powder into your scale pan. There again, they are not expensive.

I really like Lee dies for the most part and they are not expensive. You can get whichever brand you want, though, as they are all good. Don't think that you need all expensive fancy stuff to get started. If you want to add dollars later, that is fine, but not necessary. Get Lee case trimmers for the calibers that you want to load for. You buy the cutter (cheap) and then you buy shell holders and pilots for each caliber (cheap). They are fantastic. I inherited an expensive Lyman trimmer and went back to the Lee. They are cheap and exact. I have used them for probably 40 (?) years. Get a case reamer tool, for using after you trim the casing (it reams inside and outside of the casing mouth)(cheap). Get one reloading book, just so that you have a hard copy of case dimensions. This is not ABSOLUTELY necessary, as most bullet/powder companies supply this data, but it is easy to go to a book to get it. You can get all of the load data, by researching online forums, and using powder company data. All companies give you data on line to get you started. You do not need a library full of reloading books, as they get outdated pretty fast, anyway. There are always new powders and bullets that are not included in the books.

One thing that you have to consider is, do you shoot enough to make the expense worth it? There is excellent factory ammo available now, that shoots great. If you just want another expensive hobby, then it is a great thing. I have been reloading for nearly 50 years and have hardly shot any factory ammo in that time. I got a press, powder trickler, and scale when I was 17. The scale was not great and I got rid of it, but I still use the press and powder trickler. It is the only one that I have. I added a good RCBS scale (gift from my fil) and a powder measure, which is another great item to have. I have paid for my equipment many times over, and it has allowed me to do LOTS of shooting.

The main thing to remember, if you decide to do this, is keep it simple. Don't let people feed you a bunch of bs about expensive stuff that you need. If you want to get into bench-rest shooting, then you can start splitting hairs. If you just want to have fun shooting targets, hunting, plinking etc., then you can keep it pretty simple using basic equipment.

I keep my process simple and have never had any issue finding loads that get me into 1/4-1 moa-better than my old eyes allow for the most part.

If you have any questions, I will always try to help you answer them, as I hate to have misinformation screwing someone up.

I learned watching my father, he never used a powder measure, or trickler. A metal bowl, and a spoon, to shake individual granules of powder into the pan on the scale. A measure is certainly more efficient, but not absolutely needed. After loading several hundred rounds, you get pretty damn good at figuring out how much to scoop up. I'm still using my RCBS partner press, scale ( and calipers I think) that were part of a kit I purchased in the early eighties. Point being, there's not a lot to wear out in reloading stuff, if you're sure you want to go down the rabbit hole. It's not always a money saving proposition, though.

Calipers, yes.
The ogive comparator, and other measuring devices add more confusion than answers most of the time. Save your money.

Powder trickler.
Reloading tray. The plastic ones work fine and are inexpensive.
Manuals!!! Read them cover to cover! Lots of information there!

Be aware, you won't save any money. What you save per cartridge goes out the window because you'll shoot more.

Back in the 80's I bought a Lee 2000 starter kit. Simple stuff, mostly plastic. Still have it & still working like a Champ 40 yrs later, after 1000's of rounds. Though I did finally get a good caliper (gift from mom, leftover from her old job). Overall, it's not really all that complicated to knock out pretty good stuff, just take your time and be as precise as you can.

Not trying to be adversarial, but where does the confusion come from?
Wasn’t my post, but use of COL, OAL, COAL somewhat undisciplined in postings confuses some. Also remembering that comparator readings are unique to your bullet and your comparator gauge set and not absolute like COAL is confusing for some. Plus bullet comparator vs shoulder measurements. A lot of Verbiage for beginners.

I think the first thing a new reloader should do is buy the book titled.

ABC of reloading

It’s a quick read and you will have full understanding of what you need to get started.

There are some other good sources after you get your feet wet and want to turn up the performance.

Lets face it, how often do you see a post that goes "i'm using the Hornady comparater"?
I, along with many others are on other forums also.
The confusion from the compatarer is a common theme.
Use the search function if you don't believe me.

Good grief.....all the guy asked for was some help on what equipment to buy and it’s been de railed into “what’s too complicated” or what’s “too much money”

Every tool made for reloading has a purpose...some are more useful than others.

And yes you get what you pay for...at some point there is reduced return for dollars spent....

As I stated above.... ABC of Reloading book will be your best friend getting started. Then a basic kit will save you a few bucks and you can build from there.

Looking at some of the kits that are availabel, I can't really say I like most of them. Some include too much, and others not enough for me.

I kept things simple when I started. Picked up quality equipment used and built it slowly. Parked down, I think a beginner can get by with:
-ABC's of Reloading or similar reloading book
-Reloading manual to your favorite bullet brand or Lyman 49th or 50th.
-Annual copy of Hodgdon's manual
-single stage/turret press
-Lee lock stud/cutter trimmer with pilots for all cartridges you’ll reload
-chamfer/debur tool
-calipers
-hand primer if press doesn’t include method to prime on press
-shellholder
-dies
-imperial sizing wax (don’t have to deal with liquid lube and lube pad)
-beam scale
-tumbler, I know you can clean cases one at a time, but it sure is nice to drop all your cases in and walk away to do other things.
-reloadng tray (can make your own with a drill and scrap wood)
-powder trickler (can get by with using a spoon, but they aren't that expensive and are handy)

These to me are pretty much the basics you need. I think you could do without some of it, and others may say I'm missing things in my list. If you can take your time and shop used; ebay, gunbroker, estate sales, auctions, garage sales, etc can be your friends. I think you can put most of this list together for under $250.

Don't waste your money on a kit. Get what you want from the start, instead of swapping/upgrading later. Don't waste money on a trickler, manuals(everything can be found online), beam scales, or an OAL gauge.

Good luck and be safe.

I started years ago with the RCBS Master reloading kit and added a decent caliper, case trimmer and a powder trickler. As time went on, I added a bullet puller and a complete set of shell holders. With this set up I've loaded thousands of rounds. Its wise to have multiple manuals and read them thoroughly. You can spend as much as you want to on other stuff but with this basic set up you have all you need other than dies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back