Rattlesnakes

7,000-8,000 people are bitten in the US every year.

Up to 70% of reptile bites are provoked by the person bitten, based on cases seen by the Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center. "Most of them tend to be males under the age of 25 who have been drinking ... they're out there messing around with snakes doing some dumb stuff," said Goode.
I use this photo in some of my presentations on snakebites and snakebite treatment. This woman did not get bit by this timber rattlesnake, but her boyfriend did!

Attachments

• girl with rattlesnake.jpg
    girl with rattlesnake.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 80
Thats a big one. Ive been running around the the hills up there all my life and have never seen one.
Based on the rattles I would estimate that it is a 9-10 year old female. They get a new rattle every time they shed their skin and with our winters they usually only shed their skin 1-2 times a year. Timber rattlesnakes are very dependent on their den and very rarely travel more than 1-2 miles from their den. The best time to see one away from the den is during the breeding season in August. When it is very dry in late summer they will go down to the bottom of the valleys to streams for water. Often times they are hit crossing roads at that time.

We got our dog snake broke through a guy out of Tucson, and that's worked out really well. He (the dog) gets really hawky when he smells a snake and that helps us a lot in the desert, but the only thing i carry for a post-bite situation is Benedryl (sp?) that a local vet recommended for both our own use and for the pup should one of us get struck

Nice photos Craig. Prairie rattlers I believe. I give rattlesnakes a pass unless they are up to my house but I'm still not picking one up.
It is the only one I have ever picked up. I find a few and like to get pics and then get them off the road. This day I was pulling t-posts and someone was with me. Since someone was there to get a non-selfie, I figured what the heck, probably safer. Doubt I will do it again, but I can check it off the list.

This thread gives me the heebie-jeebies. I'm always curious how many rattlers you western hunters run into every year... They make me nervous as heck, and I don't know how much time I should be looking for them! o_O

Legend is if you can get them to strike 9 times they can't coil up quickly and you can
put a stick to thier head and grab them on the back of the neck.I've done it twice.
One was an Albino Rattler at the lake.I find most of my snakes near water.4 in one day
on Easter Sunday.:cool:

All the kit does is waste time you should be using to get to the hospital...
THIS!
EMS-Protocols for snake bites has evolved immensely from 20 yrs ago. We had snake bite kits in our EMS kits & I personally carried one for years in my packs, but I have never used one.
I had several snake bite victims as a Park Ranger/EMTII & I just got them to hospital quick & they were lucky.

I do know anti-venoms are the norm in my area of remote NM with special concerns with Mojave Greens being common here. They have neurotoxins & hemotoxins in their venom & considered deadly bites if neglected.
I have killed 2 that have struck at me here. They are very aggressive.
I never kill rattlesnakes unless they are really bothering me or right under the porch & such. They eat rodents,too many rodents here.
I should look into what my neighbor the VFD Chief has in his kit & what is protocols for VFD.
Some ranchers here have anti-venom in the fridge now, that know vet stuff. Just too far to get help quick here. I do know old wives tales are the norm in local thinking....good luck with that. & the snake bite kit.

So for you fellers in snake country/ or any snake experts out there. Are your high boots such as this one with jean over top good enough for snakes or can snakes strike higher...? Therefor needing gators?boot.jpg

Back