Rationalization

Europe

We all do it, to some degree, in order to make something "fit" what we believe or how we feel or even sometimes in an attempt to get others to agree with us.

I was almost laughing out loud when reading the last few posts on the "running of the bulls" thread but did not want to post this there, because I liked the last post by Harley.

Before I say this, let me remind you that I was raised on a farm. At a very young age, I was told to go get a chicken for dinner and I would. Catch them, cut off their heads, soak them in hot water, pluck them, gut them,--plus we butchered our own cattle and hogs, put down horses and dogs and of course, hunted. Enjoyed hunting and continued to hunt right up until a couple years ago. I support hunting, but I also support other peoples believes, or traditions if you will. This is not the first time this has come up in my life.

So, if a Fox, Deer, and Bull all arrived in heaven at the same time, I wonder if the deer would say, 'my death was the least painful, as I was shot and had to run on three legs for three or four hours before I bleed out and died, but since the person who shot me did not intend to just cripple me, my pain was less. The Fox agrees since he said he was deliberately hunted with the idea of inflicting pain, being torn apart and dying. The bull also agrees that even thou his death came quicker than the deer, the entire idea was to kill him and he had nowhere to run as he was in an arena, kind of like a fenced fence, some folks hunt. So it is decided the deer had the least painful death, even thou it took hours for him to die, because the 'intent" was to do it quicker.

And so it seemed settled until a bull who was scheduled to die in a slaughter house got trampled and died from the heat and overcrowded conditions, which he claims to have lived in for over a day.

Silly---? maybe, but we do all rationalize and then argue why our way is right, based upon how we feel about a subject

Again, remember, I was a farm girl, a hunter, loved fox hunting ( but when we did it, it was legal ) and I dont enjoy Bull Fights,

Last edited:
I think we have the same outlook on this. I chuckle everytime I see someone complain about an animal getting killed on the road (or by predators, or anything other than a hunter), and inevitably a someone always say, "It's a shame they went out like that." As opposed to what? Dead is dead.

I think that, since we feel pain and understand that a prolonged death for a person is undesirable, we assume that it's equally bad for the animals. I don't like to see unnecessary suffering caused at all if it's avoidable. And even though I understand how nature works, I struggle to (and generally don't) watch videos of animals killing/eating other animals over a prolonged period of time. Death is death and I suspect it is rarely, if ever, pleasant. But it need not be unnecessarily prolonged or painful.

People beliefs, culturally based in many instances, have always facinated me. Western culture is largely disconnected with the realities of the their environment. The laws of nature and the universe are capable of atrocities far more sinister than what man could conjure. And none the less man goes on thinking their opinions, their laws, their beliefs are significant, and nature goes on just killing in whatever fashion it chooses.

Last edited:
I try to carry the same opinions i hold for people as I do with critters. I pity the deer that starved to death the same as I pity the human who died of cancer. While I think the dog that was put down was as lucky as the guy that died in his sleep.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back