Rare Weapon to Hunt Deer

Ithaca 37

The rifle that killed five Wisconsin hunters and wounded three more on Sunday was an SKS 7.62-millimeter semiautomatic assault weapon not normally used in hunting animals.

"This is not a gun you go deer hunting with," said Lawrence Keane, senior vice president and general counsel of the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the gun industry trade association.

The reason the SKS is not used by hunters, Mr. Keane said, is that it is designed for combat soldiers and is therefore underpowered for killing an animal like a deer with a single shot, the goal of good hunters.

"The ethics of hunting are you don't want the animal to suffer needlessly," Mr. Keane said.

Mr. Keane said he suspected that the man accused of the Wisconsin killings was not a trained hunter, since with the SKS he was carrying, he would have had to shoot a deer several times to kill it.

The SKS is a precursor of the AK-47 assault rifle. Though it has a longer barrel, it otherwise looks much like the AK-47. It has become popular in the United States among gun collectors, target shooters and some criminals, because it sells for less than $200, or more than $100 less than an AK-47, said Kristen Rand, legislative director of the Violence Policy Center, a gun control group.

By executive order, President Bill Clinton barred the importing of Chinese- and Russian-made SKS rifles. But the Bush administration, Ms. Rand said, has specifically authorized the importing of SKS's from Yugoslavia and Albania.

It is not known where the SKS used in the Wisconsin shootings was manufactured.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/23/national/23gun.html

"This is not a gun you go deer hunting with," said Lawrence Keane, senior vice president and general counsel of the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the gun industry trade association. True, we might think it's not much of a deer rifle, but not a Hmong.

I've hunted with a Hmong tribesman. They are a primitive tribe of almost Stone Age hunters. The one I knew grew up in a grass hut and hunted with a bow and a spear. There was only one old muzzle loader in his village and no powder for it most of the time. He was a great hunter and tracker. I couldn't even see the tracking sign he could follow at a fast trot. To him, the 7.62 SKS would have been the most incredible high powered, high tech rifle he had ever seen and he would have shot elephants with it.

Lawrence Keane may think he needs a Weatherby Magnum for deer hunting, but the Hmong I knew would have thought a .22 was plenty good enough for any deer he ever saw, and a lot better than anything he ever used before he got to the States. He would have sneaked up on a deer and shot it right in the ear from 30 feet away.

By the way, after growing up in a primitive jungle village he joined the Vietnamese army and went on to become a jet fighter pilot and then made it here after the war.

In this case, maybe shooter was not a native of Laos. By his age, he very well could have grown up here in the States. But the Hmong I knew was a real Hmong from Laos.

I'm not defending the shooter, either. We'll have to see how the trial plays out.

I guess it's all up to what you're used to hunting with.

Lawrence Keane is a idiot, the sks is a very popular deer gun and the 7.62x39 is an extreamly popular round., and its getting more popular as time flies.

It is a little more powerful than a 30-30, in a bolt action gun it is extreamly accurate.

I know a few guys that have them chambered in thier thompson contenders and they love them.
its also a great javalina round as well.

Delw

Sorry Del ,
I gotta side with IT and Keane on this one ,I don't know anyone who hunts legitimately with an SKS , but I do have friends in the fish & game dept. who call them a " poachers rifle " cause they can throw them in the creek and they're only out about $100 bucks .

There are quite a few guys here in AZ that use them for couse and pigs.

You can get hunting rounds for them also.

When I was wanting to build a boltaction short chambered 30 cal round this was my first choice.

BTW this is why they are idiots, maybe I should have pointed that out.
The reason the SKS is not used by hunters, Mr. Keane said, is that it is designed for combat soldiers and is therefore underpowered for killing an animal like a deer with a single shot, the goal of good hunters.

"The ethics of hunting are you don't want the animal to suffer needlessly," Mr. Keane said.

Its these type of people that make it so easy to target the hunter. think about it its the exact same round almost as a 30-30. it has just as good if not better balistics than a 30-30. In the SKS rifle your looking at anywhere from a 1"-3" group at 100 yards, just as good as an open sighted 30-30.

Delw

Grizzly bears , wolves , rattlesnakes and now Hmong tribesmen with SKS rifles , it's almost unsafe to go into the woods anymore .

Wasn't there some goofball posting stories about hunting deer with a .22Tact earlier this year????

There are a ton of guns that we don't need to be imported, and that includes ones that are disposable. If you can buy it for $79, I can't imagine you should really be using it for hunting.

I didn't mean to say a 7.62x39 isn't adequate for deer. I think it would be very adequate. It's probably a real good caliber in Wisconsin where you aren't likely to get shots over 100 yards. If anything, I think all the guys who think they need big magnums to shoot deer with are the crazy ones.

I don't care for cheap SKS rifles, but if I were a Hmong I'd probably think it was just fine.

I don't like to read that Keane is saying this: "The reason the SKS is not used by hunters, Mr. Keane said, is that it is designed for combat soldiers and is therefore underpowered for killing an animal like a deer with a single shot, the goal of good hunters."

It's not underpowered. I think many deer hunters are using calibers that are overpowered and they can't shoot them well because they flinch. But maybe Keane isn't an idiot. Maybe he just got misquoted by the typical reporter who writes this kinda stuff without knowing anything about guns. How many times have you read things reporters say about guns, calibers, shotgun gauges, etc. that are ridiculous?

The gun and/or calibur dosn't matter. This is a free country and you can hunt with anything thats legal. What you can't do is shoot other hunters.
We have LOTS of Mong/Laotions where I live. The Fish & Game people will tell you they are afraid of them. They come from a culture that has been at war constantly for the last two thousand years. When one is armed and "in the bush" you don't want to get in his/her face about anything, for any reason.
The 7.62X39 is a fine deer calibur, under 200 yds.

ElkGunner said:
Wasn't there some goofball posting stories about hunting deer with a .22Tact earlier this year????

There are a ton of guns that we don't need to be imported, and that includes ones that are disposable. If you can buy it for $79, I can't imagine you should really be using it for hunting.

ElkGunner, I am not proud of this, but I was born in the heart of the 7 mountains in Central Pennsylvania in 1951. We had electricity, but no running water, and an outhouse until I was 10, then we moved to town. The men in our family fed us venison all year, most of it taken with the lowly .22, it was quiet enough not to draw attention, and didn't ruin a bunch of meat. I remember mostly head shots. Those men are all dead now, they kept us fed, on fish and game, and the gardens everyone had. My birthplace is still there, and used as a hunting camp. Still has an outhouse, and a pitcher pump to draw water with. I really don't appreciate my Pap, Dad, and Uncles being refered to as "GOOFBALLS". They cut pulpwood for a living and did what they had to do to feed us...without welfare, or public assistance.

Hey Whiskers, That was when men had pride and provided for their families. A condition that still exists in this country but is getting hard to find in the big city.

As for the Hmong tribesmen, I lived and fought with the Hmong for more than a year. They are brave, honorable people with a great sense of justice and what is right. One thing they will not condone is insults. If these gringos insulted this man or offered racial slurs or tried to bully him, he would have reacted. I am not saying that this is what happened, but from the reports I've read it sounds like he wandered into a bunch of rednecks who ganged up on him, thinking he would cower and back away. Like a lot of folks do.....but I wasn't there and I don't know what happened any more than any one here knows.

:cool:

All you guy's can spin this incedent how ever you see fit. Bottom line is that this is a huge black eye on hunting and gun ownership. This WILL be used as a tool in many agendas. If incedents like this continue to occur for what ever reason, hunting will be over with. More stringent hunter education programs must start imediately. Giving out hunting licenses to people (either side of this conflict if the reports are accurate) should never happen again. It's up to hunters now to do what ever it takes to clean up this mess, and make sure it never happens again.

Paul

ElkGunner said:

"we don't need to be imported" ? Do you mean ' have imported'? :rolleyes: And how did you get in charge of what we 'need' to import? :rolleyes:
And what does the price of the rifle have to do with anything? :rolleyes:
an ebonic speaking(typing) eletist? :rolleyes:

EG's right on this one guys .
That's twice in one week ElkGunner , you're on a roll .
An SKS is better suited for an ex-con who needs a good starter rifle to get back to work with ,
or an aspiring rap artist who needs to protect his turf ,
or a lowlife poaching dirtbag ,
or a Hmung tribesman ,
but it's not a legitimate hunting rifle .
It's the saturday night special of rifles .

Whiskers, no offense intended.....

Whiskers, I completely understand your example, but your kin were using .22LR to hunt game to feed the family as cheaply as possible. The Goofball that was using the .22Tact (see if I can find the link) was using a custom made, expensive gun.

Using a .22LR because that is all you can afford is one thing. Using a .22 center fire caliber rifle to kill deer is completely disrespectful to the animal. I wish Idaho had minimum caliber requriements in order to keep the "he-man, macho types" from thinking that they should try and see if they can kill a deer or wound them with their new, expensive toy.

The SKS in this story is a marginal gun for hunting, and the only thing going for it is that it is $79. And the ammo is $119 a case. I have always thought there was something wrong when somebody pays more for the ammo than the gun.

'Gunner - It's a 20 Tactical, using a .204 cal. bullet in a blown out .223 Remington case, similar to the new 204 Ruger. Both can get a 40gr bullet close to 4000fps and a 32gr bullet to about 4250fps.

1_pointer said:
'Gunner - It's a 20 Tactical, using a .204 cal. bullet in a blown out .223 Remington case, similar to the new 204 Ruger. Both can get a 40gr bullet close to 4000fps and a 32gr bullet to about 4250fps.

Great for shooting empty beer cans and insulators off of power poles. :cool:

Stupid for shooting deer. |oo

Actually ELkgunner
a high powered fast moving 22 centerfire will cause instant death to a deer and elk in the proper hands.

I personally dont care what gun or what cal someone uses to hunt with as long as they know how to shoot it and have it be efective.

The way your sounding on this elkgunner is that it is wrong also to use a bow and arrow. A deer will suffer alot more with an arrow shot then a quick clean rifle shot.

Delw

FAIRCHASEBEN said:
EG's right on this one guys .
That's twice in one week ElkGunner , you're on a roll .
An SKS is better suited for an ex-con who needs a good starter rifle to get back to work with ,
or an aspiring rap artist who needs to protect his turf ,
or a lowlife poaching dirtbag ,
or a Hmung tribesman ,
but it's not a legitimate hunting rifle .
It's the saturday night special of rifles .

Not be be an asshole, but this is an absurd statement. You guys and need to keep in mind that not everyone who hunts is some rich elitist asshole who can afford any gun he wants. There are many hunters who actually hunt to feed their families and this is an affordabe gun for them.

A few years back while elk hunting in the Gila my father and I met a guy named Tom. Tom basically should have been born in the 1800's. This guy had a small piece of property that he and his wife built a straw and mudhouse on. He worked a few odd jobs here and there and for food they had a huge garden that they canned in the fall and he hunted for elk and deer. He had two guns, one was an old TC muzzleloader and the other an SKS that was held together by silver duct tape.

If a caliber is legal to use in your state then the way of delivery of the round should be irrelevant. A deer killed with a winchester 30-30 is just as dead as one killed by an SKS. One should never have to justify to anyone the type of rifle they use so long as it is legal.

FBC, can you tell me what a legitimate hunting rifle is?? Can you tell me why an SKS is not?? Please keep in mind that gun ownership is a RIGHT we have and it's not based on Hunting WHICH IN NOT A RIGHT but a privelage and a tool for management and revenue.

is therefore underpowered for killing an animal like a deer with a single shot

This is another absurd statement. Maybe some one should remind this Keane guy that the SKS rifle killed 6 people and from the sounds of it 5 died on the spot. Isn't the NSSF an industry spokesgroup?? Don't they look out for companies like Winchester, Ruger and Remington?? How about SKS?? It seems to me that they would maybe have a financial interest in the SKS not being sold and they don't recieve any support, monetary or otherwise from the sale of these guns???

I really become distessed when I read these kinds of articles and see hunters who are otherwise intelligent agree with them and use the "legitimant hunting rifle" talking points. It saddens me to think that one of the biggest obstacles standing in the way of the second amendment are hunters themselves who are generally gun owners.

I use an SKS and it s a very effecient rifle in capable hands. If you don't think a 7.62x39 is good enough to kill a deer, look at a ballistic chart and compare to other calibers on the market. I have known of people taking game at 200yds. It all depends upon the shooter.
milshooter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back