Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Ranking 10 Common Bolt Action Hunting Rifles Under $750

I've got a couple of savage axis rifles in the safe, I think they're as ugly as a three dollar hooker, but they get the job done. Art as tools works better for me, and I've been bitten by the m70 bug (preferably in classic cartridges), on the other hand, I can loan the savages out, or use them in crappy weather without trepidation. They have a place in my world.
The trigger on the Axis 1 is unusable, but if you are talking Axis 2, then they will definitely work well for many purposes.

I'm sure not gonna complain about this Weatherby S2 I snatched up at a $250 deal in .06. Just put a nice paint job on it and ready to scope it and get it shooting before fall. Trigger feels nice for a gun at that price point. My buddies shot slightly under MOA when we took it out.

Last edited:
I'm sure not gonna complain about this Weatherby S2 I snatched up at a $250 deal in .06. Just put a nice paint job on it and ready to scope it and get it shooting before fall. Trigger feels nice for a fun at that price point. My buddies shot slightly under MOA when we took it out.

Nice deal. I put mine in a B&C stock and is my go to pronghorn gun (in 25-06). Whether sold by Howa or as rebadged Weatherby they are a great value even when you don’t get blue light special pricing like you did.

Got a used 700 ADL -06 in 80's. Paid $650. Only rifle I use, just about. Only replaced trigger & stock after switch to BDL. Upgraded scope.

And if my pre-ordered Bergara Premier Highland in 280AI would ever show up then that will be covered too.
Where can you get one of those for under $750?

The way I see it if a person can afford $700 they should be able to spend $1200. That would raise the bar on quality and features considerably. Three quarters of the list are rifles that I wouldn't consider. Granted, a rifle is a very personal choice. I suppose the list may appeal more to a newbie. But then if the new shooter is given the features they might learn to appreciate them. There are some used rifles in that price range that are and aren't on the list that I would look at. I think your no. 1 choice is spot on. You don't see very many used Tikkas come up for sale. My grandson will get my T3 unless I decide to take it to the grave with me.

Last edited:
I like the tikka, 700, and AB3 for cheap options that shoot/feel good. The ruger American felt way cheap to me. Yes, it will shoot accurately but didn't inspire confidence the way it felt. Those are the only cheap guns I've shot or owned. (Although I did shoot a friend's steyr mannlicher prohunter he picked up on sale for $650 and it was very accurate but they usually cost more than that and aren't available in every store).

The bergara looks really intriguing to me but wish they had a stainless b14.

I have heard from many, that the Ruger American was too cheap feeling for them. But, the two I have not only shoot well, but as plastic stocks go, they feel pretty decent, and with the aluminum bedding blocks they are sturdier than many other synthetics.
The Marlin x7 rifles I own had to have a replacement stock to shoot well.
A nice laminated stock goes well with most EL Cheapo rifles. Boyd's seems the best for the price.
The fit and finish isn't what I want on the 700 models that sell in the affordable range. But probably the best base rifle out there on average, for price, accuracy, and especially for aftermarket parts to spruce one up your self.
The AB3 is not one I have owned, but I have shot several. The accuracy is decent, but the triggers all need work, via a spring kit.
Of those on the list my top picks would be
#1 Remington 700
#2 Ruger American
#3 Tikka
The Tikka has good accuracy, but little aftermarket help compared to the other two. And it seems awfully light for caliber too me, on the rifles I shot in 300 wm.
But, the price on the few I see locally seems more on average than the Remington or the Ruger.
I'm sure price varies from region to region. Tikka is less popular in my area for some reason.

If your looking for a budget rifle the Stevens Model 200 belongs on this list I would buy one over the Ruger American, Mossberg, Axis and Marlin. If I remember right they were $299 new, shot lights out. Only downfall they were ugly as all get out.

Yep! Ugly! I bought one in .223 when they first came out, another in .30-06 a few years later when switched to hunting a rifle zone, and then a used .30-06 for my .338-06 project. If you compare them with rifles in a similar price, they lead the group. I think that is why they were dropped from production as the margin had to be slim on them compared to what they spend to make an Axis. The Stevens 200’s (and really all the used Savages)are a good rifle to buy and put a decent scope on to hunt with. You can upgrade the trigger and stock later on if you so desire. Gotta just think of them as 10/110 with an Axis trigger.

The trigger on the Axis 1 is unusable, but if you are talking Axis 2, then they will definitely work well for many purposes.
Mine are both axis ll. Both shoot well, and as a side note, the youth 243 that my son and I bought felt best to him of all the “economy” youth packages we handled.

I love my 700s and have built several rifles off the actions. I feel its the chevy 350 of rifles. I did pick up a mossberg in 6.5 manbun for 250. Havent been out to the range with it yet but the trigger is nice even if the rifle isnt pleasant to the eyes.

I love my 700s and have built several rifles off the actions. I feel its the chevy 350 of rifles. I did pick up a mossberg in 6.5 manbun for 250. Havent been out to the range with it yet but the trigger is nice even if the rifle isnt pleasant to the eyes.
700s undoubtably great base to build from, but this was more of a leave it “stock” list.

Whats the general consensus on the Patriot? Everything I've read online seems too good to be true at the price point so I figure it probably is... Fluted barrel, recessed crown, fluted bolt, pretty checkered hardwood stock, etc. On paper it looks like Mossberg hit a home run.

Whats the general consensus on the Patriot? Everything I've read online seems too good to be true at the price point so I figure it probably is... Fluted barrel, recessed crown, fluted bolt, pretty checkered hardwood stock, etc. On paper it looks like Mossberg hit a home run.

My sister had one (it was stolen from her house recently unfortunately) in 30-06. The trigger was nice and light and both my dad and I could shoot 1-2" groups with it consistently at 100 yards. I imagine that if one owned it and spent time shooting it the groups would tighten up a bit more even. It was a nice rifle for the money.

I got a Patriot in 243 just to fool with. Had the plastic stock but ordered a wood stock right away. Did shoot it early on with the plastic stock and seem's it shot fine as it was. But I like wood. Wood stock is not checkered, called stippling. Action is bedded on plastic but works fine. trigger guard is also plastic and the front guard screw crush's it, don't care for that. Mossberg say's torque is 25# max. Seem's to work fine! With good handloads mine with shoot right at 1/2" at 100 yds. Liked it so well I also went out and got one in 308 for shooting cast bullet's. Trigger is good but don't know if I care for the tab sticking out of it. Probably just matter of getting used to it. All in all I think it's a super rifle, with the wood stock of course, and I hate stainless too! Really like Rem 700's but been a lot of years since I've bought one. Prefer the ADL for whatever reason. Thing about Rem 700's is they are really easy to bed and I like the trigger everyone else hate's! They only adjust down to 3# safely but then mine are hunting rifle's!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back