Rangefinder suggestion

Bob-WY

I need an upgrade to my rangefinder! Currently I have a Bone Collector one, it works fine for archery distances, but I can rarely get a range on something beyond 200 yards. Even at 200 I have had trouble. this makes pronghorn hunting tough!

My criteria:
- I need RELIABLE and fast distance out to say 400-500, I don't shoot that far, max shot would be about 300, but it would be nice to know how much more distance I need to cut off!

- ARC isn't a big thing for me, but if it doesn't matter to price, ok, could come in handy for mountain mulie/elk

- fit in my pocket (currently in addition to the BoneCollector one, I have an older Bushnell that when I used to use it worked to long distances, but it's big and doesn't fit in a pocket.

Don't have a brand preference as I have little experience, I do use Leupold scopes and Vortex binoculars and like both.

I've read about red display numbers, seems that would be a nice touch!

Hoping to stay under $300 is possible.

Reccomendations?

I own no Vortex products but why buy anything else when they have a lifetime warranty? I wouldn’t say that for their binos or scopes but for a piece of electronic equipment I just see don’t see how you pass that up.

I own no Vortex products but why buy anything else when they have a lifetime warranty? I wouldn’t say that for their binos or scopes but for a piece of electronic equipment I just see don’t see how you pass that up.
I just had some binos repaired that were in some pretty rough shape and there were no questions asked. Just followed the return instructions on their website and they had them back to me within two weeks completely repaired. No charge. They are a great company.

I'm a big fan of Leica, but that's above your budget. I've heard great reviews about the Sig rangefinder. I'd also highly consider a Vortex based on the fact that they're the only company I know of that warranties their rangefinders for life.

I'm a big fan of Leica, but that's above your budget. I've heard great reviews about the Sig rangefinder. I'd also highly consider a Vortex based on the fact that they're the only company I know of that warranties their rangefinders for life.
i second this. rangefinders will fail eventually. i found out the hard way from another company, that lifetime warranty apparently doesnt mean "lifetime." they just blamed it on me, and said they would give me $20 off retail for a new one. vortex will warranty it

The Vortex Ranger 1800 are right over $300. May be able to find them a little cheaper. They' always worked great for me. Super small and quick to use.
I’ll second this advice. Got mine on sale for $299. Been plenty happy with it. It checks all your boxes and true lifetime warranty.

Good luck with your shopping!

Found vortex 1400, aside from $75 and 400 yards, is there any real difference?

I don't need distance anything like that as long as those numbers are valid seems either does more than I need

Can’t comment on that one specifically as I don’t own one, but yes, on paper it looks like it will do everything you desire.

I like vortex. I had the 850 which is now the 1000. I traded it in for something with a longer range and has a backlight. The 850 was good to 400yds on deer sized animals and it worked on proghorns but when you are putting on a stalk, it's nice to know when they are beyond 400 to get a gauge of where you want to stalk to so you are in range. Also a backlight display is a must.

I have a Sig Kilo and have been very pleased with it. It has everything you are looking for, including a red display. Here is one on sale:

I second this. The one time it failed me was 30 yards off through sage brush, user error.

I've got the vortex razor hd 4000. Go to the store and look through the 1800 then the 4000. It's not even close for another 150 bucks.

I would definitely recommend the Sig Sauer Kilo2000. It is an all-around great rangefinder and can be used for archery or longer distances. The Vortex Ranger is also a great option. There are obviously plenty more but I found this article to do a great job explaining 9 different rangefinders currently available: https://huntpeak.com/best-rangefinders-deer-hunt/.

Hope this helps, good luck!

I upgraded to Leica 1600B from Vortex Ranger 1000.
Needed one that could range out to 600 accurately and beyond. One that ranges in low light, quickly.
Night & day difference. Very happy.

I was in sort of the same situation years ago when I decided I wanted a range finder.
Leica wasnt in my budget. I decided to save up another 6 mos and get the Leica. That was 15 years ago. It has been used extensively and still working great. The rubberized case is looking rough but not effecting function. I cant say how a less expensive RF would have worked out. a few of my hunting buddies bought cheaper brands at the time and they all have bought several more each over the years. Plenty of hunters like the vortex and the Sig models.

I would get the vortex in this situation. Lifetime warranty on electric optics is huge. Are there better ones sure. But that warranty is hard to beat for a range finder.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back