Rangefinder Binoculars

BigGriz

So I have decided to start looking for a new binocular set up with a built in range finder. Figured in doing this it would cut down on the attachments I have on my bino harness and I wouldn't have to switch from my bino's to a range finder then to my gun. So I wanted to ask a few questions:

1) What are your favorite rangefinder bino's?

2) I would imagine they are a bit heavier than your standard bino's. Do you feel switching to that set up was a positive move to your hunt game?

3) Who or where would you purchase them from?

4) If you know of anyone here on HuntTalk who sells them or knows someone who does let me know as I love supporting my hunting community?

Thanks BigGriz

Last edited:
I love my swarovski el ranges. They are a little heavier than standard but I don’t notice it when hunting. Someone is selling a pair on here for $2400 which would save you about $1300 vs new.

I bought the Zeus Victory ranging binos in early spring from a reputable site off Ebay. I would’ve just as happily went with the Swaros but my winning bid got me a new pair for a great price ($2200 vs normal well over $3k). I used them during spring bear season and liked them a lot and agree with the above post that although they are a tad heavier, I don’t notice it and the convenience is great. The true test will come this antelope season. That always seems to be the biggest challenge for a rangefinder is antelope in a big field. Which is usually when you need the range the most…

A couple of years ago I bought Sig Sauer Kilo 3000BDX 10 x 42 from Cabelas, about $1K. I'm used to packing Leica 10 x 50, Sig is much lighter. They get the job done.

Thank you all for the responses! All your information has been helpful in my search.

BigGriz

There is always something cheaper, but at the end of the day, Swarovski EL Range leave you satisfied and pleased that you have them. Once the sting of the purchase is gone, the usefulness outshines the cost.

They will range prairie dogs and the optical quality of the latest Swarovision binoculars provide you the best hunting combination you will find. I don’t go anywhere without them...

D532973E-F319-4883-A047-659D65FCB7AC.png

Can you have too many optics? Another solution is a more compact Swarovski 8X32 EL Swarovision and a Leica CRF 2500 rangefinder. A little less bulk in one optic, but the rangefinding EL still works better for smaller target acquisition at longer ranges...

19EAF5DD-758F-45FA-AD59-522B534F865A.png

Bino RFs are nice to streamline the process when rifle hunting. I had 2 pairs of Leica geovids (HD-b 2000 and HD-b 2200) that had to be warrantied because they didn’t work below freezing. I sold the new pair they sent me because I didn’t have time/patience to deal with another non-working product and the warranty process.

You typically have to make a small compromise in optical quality and weight.

I like the ballistic solver on the sig kilo 2400abs I have now, I’m not sure any binos have that level of ballistic engine in them but it’s hard to keep track of what’s out there these days with all the new products coming to market.

If my Leica RF ever takes a crap on me and I decide to upgrade from my older ELs
I might go with the EL Ranges. I never thought I would be interested in RF binos but I am warming up to them a bit. Now if they could get my Iphone installed in some EL ranges I would have it all in one peice. Phone , camera ,gps, email ,text , compass, bino and RF. Thats pretty Star Trek.

So I have decided to start looking for a new binocular set up with a built in range finder. Figured in doing this it would cut down on the attachments I have on my bino harness and I wouldn't have to switch from my bino's to a range finder then to my gun. So I wanted to ask a few questions:

1) What are your favorite rangefinder bino's?

2) I would imagine they are a bit heavier than your standard bino's. Do you feel switching to that set up was a positive move to your hunt game?

3) Who or where would you purchase them from?

4) If you know of anyone here on HuntTalk who sells them or knows someone who does let me know as I love supporting my hunting community?

Thanks BigGriz
I had the gen 2 Leica Geovids. The optics were garbage, the washout when looking into a low sun was horrible. I use ranging binos for certain hunts and not for others. If I need a fast range, like a muzzle loader or bow hunt I use them. For rifle hunting where i usually have more time i do not use them. Recently I use (and yes do sell) the Meopta Optika LR and they are great for the money. I took them side by side with the Geovids, and also the SIG ranging binos and it was not even a contest on what one was better in a low sun condition, and yes that is a condition that you will be spending a lot of time glassing in. These newer mid priced binos have come a long way.
The advantage is they are fast, since you already have them at the ready anyway, plus it is easier to hold them steady VS a stand alone range finder. Another plus is one less thing to carry. But like others have said, you can only get so much optical performance from a multi use optic. But unless you are looking to get into alpha glass, I think they are a great tool.

Another vote for the El Range 10x42. Love mine

If you periodically check Ebay you will see some good deals from some retailers who can't move them in their local market

I have a pair of Sig 3000, they work well and I have no regrets of buying them, hoping to get a scope that matches the bino's soon.
Hhardrock

I had EL ranges for awhile, however they weren’t for me. As bow hunter I found added weight and ergonomics not to my liking. getting in close on a stalk I would rather not have to take my binos out to range the animal.
I think if I hunted with rifle I wouldn’t care at all. The newest version of the EL ranges are very sweet from an optical perspective having the same glass as ELs. You can’t go wrong with Ziess SF either as they excellent.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back