Range for 20ga.??

1_pointer

It doesn't look like I am gonna be able to use a 12ga.(weapon of choice) this spring for turkeys, I can't afford another barrel for the 12ga. So, I will be forced to use my 870 Express 20ga. I know that this isn't a huge problem, I was just wondering what the effective range of this might be? THanks for the help.

Try shooting it at a turkey target at various yardages, 20-40 .

You will then know the best yardage for your gun and load.

I would be going totally out on a limb here by saying that it will probably be in the 30 yard range.

It shouldn't take 3 or 4 shots at various yardages for you to find out.

You should really pattern the gun anyway to be certain the point of aim is the point of the pattern center.
This way you can check your pattern at different ranges and also see if it groups where it is aimed.

------------------
Chambo

gunslinger.gif

IF IT WAS EASY EVERYBODY WOULD BE DOING IT !!!

QUITTERS NEVER WIN AND WINNERS NEVER QUIT
http://www.hunttalk.com

[This message has been edited by Chambo (edited 02-27-2001).]

1_pointer, I would guess 30 yards is going to be a max. Like Chambo said, there is only one way to find out. Shoot it! I killed my first bird w/ a 20 ga.

What size shot would you guys recommend? Most of the shells that I have seen come in no. 6. I would like to go with something bigger if at all possible for more energy downrange.

Does anyone reload shotshells? By father has a reloader and I was wondering if I could reload the shot 3" on this loader? I know that he used it for 2 3/4" shells.

My Mossberg 500 throws good turkey killing patterns to 35 yards. I'm shooting Remington's Nitro Max 1 1/4 oz of No. 4 shot. I got them at Wally's.

------------------
fox2.gif

Back