Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Range Day with Hornady ELD-x

Blacktailbc

Tried out the new Hornady bullets today, in 7mm variety. Like what I see so far......100 yds, off sandbags.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

Glad to see they shoot well. I'm planning on trying the ELD-X first in my Tikka 30-06 once I finally put a scope on her. Seems like a great bullet (or at least the marketing is doing it's job)

I need to get some loaded in the next couple weeks and see how they do for me. Hoping for similar results.

Seems like a great bullet (or at least the marketing is doing it's job)

Not saying it is a bad bullet, but there is definitely plenty of this ^. Their claims just make the bullet out to be just a little too perfect, from what I can tell it is just a long for caliber SST with a different tip.

Does anyone know what their new "Heat Shield" tip is made out of? Ceramic, like the space shuttle?????

It definitely seems to shoot well.

Not saying it is a bad bullet, but there is definitely plenty of this ^. Their claims just make the bullet out to be just a little too perfect, from what I can tell it is just a long for caliber SST with a different tip.

Does anyone know what their new "Heat Shield" tip is made out of? Ceramic, like the space shuttle?????

It isn't so much an SST than an Amax with a little more reinforcement. I think its a brilliant design to make the Amax or more viable hunting bullet where as before it was technically a target bullet a lot of guys used to hunt with mixed results. The bullets definitely require a fast twist rate and are somewhat temperamental, but no more so in my experience than any other high BC bullet.

I'm guessing the tip is just a higher temperature polymer. There are polymers with melting points up to 1400 F where brass melts at 1600-1800 F, no need for ceramics.

Last edited:

Unobtainium

There are polymers with melting points up to 1400 F where brass melts at 1600-1800 F, no need for ceramics.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic.

I would agree in that it looks like an A-max and an SST had an illegitimate child. The delta in BC from the Amax to the ELD-x is only .005 (must be due to the polymer), and the ELD-x looks to have a jacket more like an SST without the cannelure.

I picked up a box this morning but put it back. I guess I was hoping they were a bonded bullet but comparing the literature on the box with the A max they seem to have an identical jacket. My gun is shooting both Barnes and Berger awesome but I'd like to get a bonded bullet to work as well. I tried the Accubond LR with no luck.
You've got a great group. Look forward to real life reports on animals.

I'm not gonna bother with them. There comes a time (like after dozens of animals) that a certain bullet proves itself. The only new stuff I'm gonna shoot are the bullets from my good friends new company. The new Hornady just doesn't excite me for some reason. Nice shooting by the op though. mtmuley

I hear ya. I'm not completely sold on them yet. Accubonds have served me well over the years. These shoot well enough in my gun, that I'm going to give them a try this year. Plus, it is kind of fun to try new stuff.

I'ma take a leap here and guess the op shoots most ammo into those type of groups. Damn fine trigger control blacktail. I've been getting some 180 scenars/recipe closer together out of a 7 RUM....around 3000 fps. Might hafta try some of mtmuley's bud's projectiles also.

Yeah, I bet the shooter shoots like that often. Looking forward to reports on any kills with the ELD blacktail. mtmuley

Accubonds have also served me well and will try the eld. I am curious to see how they perform on animals

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back