Caribou Gear Tarp

randy using 300 win over 308 in 2019?

watching alot of his youtube videos and he seems to be using the 300 this year. I always thought he was a 308 man

I wouldn't make too much of that.

When I ordered the Randy Newberg edition rifles for me and the crew, they only had two rifles to send me; a .308 Win and a .300 Win Mag. I at times had loaned out the .308, which left me with the .300 Win.

They are both excellent cartridges. I have any rifles in both chamberings. Expect me to continue to mix/match among both of them.

You obviously missed the dall sheep hunt🤣🤣
Forgot about that one. Still I'd say he's well above average when you look at some of the shots other TV hunters make. Especially the bowhunters who make a shot with no penetration, find it the next day, and then praise their equipment.

I wouldn't make too much of that.

When I ordered the Randy Newberg edition rifles for me and the crew, they only had two rifles to send me; a .308 Win and a .300 Win Mag. I at times had loaned out the .308, which left me with the .300 Win.

They are both excellent cartridges. I have any rifles in both chamberings. Expect me to continue to mix/match among both of them.

Like Mahomes choosing which Bentley to steer.... :)

With a self imposed 400 yard first shot limit, would anyone think it preferable or necessary to use a .300 Win Mag over a .308 for spot and stalk black bear or elk in the western states (CA, OR, WA, WY, MT, ID)? I'm trying to decide whether to sell one of my .308's and get a .300 Win Mag for black bear and elk.

Accuracy isn't a deciding factor. The unknown for me is terminal performance in the real world on those animals at that range, and if a follow up is needed/available at 500 or 600. I'd of course take the best shot possible at 400 or less, but fecal matter occurs.

Personally I wouldn't trade a .308 I shot well for a .300 Win Mag. If you have a CDS dial and a rangefinder , you can dial up to the range and hit point on. If you want to shoot Grizz or moose get the .300 Everything else will die if you shoot it with a .308

With a self imposed 400 yard first shot limit, would anyone think it preferable or necessary to use a .300 Win Mag over a .308 for spot and stalk black bear or elk in the western states (CA, OR, WA, WY, MT, ID)? I'm trying to decide whether to sell one of my .308's and get a .300 Win Mag for black bear and elk.

Accuracy isn't a deciding factor. The unknown for me is terminal performance in the real world on those animals at that range, and if a follow up is needed/available at 500 or 600. I'd of course take the best shot possible at 400 or less, but fecal matter occurs.

I read years ago that the beauty of any magnum was to deliver extraordinary power at normal range; not normal power at extraordinary range. Always felt that was good reasoning. When I lived in Alaska a friend and I used to fish the Portage River. When we did we took along my Rem 660 in 308 loaded with 200gr bulet's, just in case. Not super accurate but wasn't gonna miss anything up close. A grizzly up close I would not care to deal with but that rifle I believe

I would have been alright with. 20" barrel. old normal 660 fence post stock and 2 3/4x Redfield scope. Easy to carry and point and ability to get on target really fast and ability to handle a 200gr bullet plenty well enough for close work.

I think something that seem's to always come up is the need for a 400yd plus rifle/cartridge. Truth is the majority of shooter's myself included probably couldn't handle a shot like that even if we did stumble into it. Not saying there's much wrong with a magnum but I been through that stage and these days hate to pull the trigger on one. The thing I dislike about mags is that recoil!

I read years ago that the beauty of any magnum was to deliver extraordinary power at normal range; not normal power at extraordinary range. Always felt that was good reasoning. When I lived in Alaska a friend and I used to fish the Portage River. When we did we took along my Rem 660 in 308 loaded with 200gr bulet's, just in case. Not super accurate but wasn't gonna miss anything up close. A grizzly up close I would not care to deal with but that rifle I believe

I would have been alright with. 20" barrel. old normal 660 fence post stock and 2 3/4x Redfield scope. Easy to carry and point and ability to get on target really fast and ability to handle a 200gr bullet plenty well enough for close work.

I think something that seem's to always come up is the need for a 400yd plus rifle/cartridge. Truth is the majority of shooter's myself included probably couldn't handle a shot like that even if we did stumble into it. Not saying there's much wrong with a magnum but I been through that stage and these days hate to pull the trigger on one. The thing I dislike about mags is that recoil!
Chewing on it a bit, I'm of a different mind re: "the beauty of any magnum was to deliver extraordinary power at normal range; not normal power at extraordinary range". I think it depends upon the round in question. Some are meant for high power at short distances, and some others are for sufficient power at extended ranges. I am not saying that all fall into one of those two categories.

<added> Thanks
This has helped me boil it down in my own mind.

Back