Caribou Gear

Randy Newberg on Matt Rinella's Podcast

I appreciate Randy and Matt’s viewpoints and can see both of them having merit. Seemed like a good discussion although Matt seems a little desperate to make others see things his way. I got a chuckle out of Rob Shaul’s name being brought up in this one.
Agreed, probably the most civil and intelligent discussion of the issue of resource use... probably in all of the "outdoor space" that I've heard.

My distillation is Matt sees the status quo as far worse than 20+ years ago, while Randy sees where we are as being a far better place than where we could have landed.

I truly want to see better access, more wildlife, and better hunting for everyone. You guys are riding Randy’s jock strap but no one has answered my question if your hunting has improved?
Yeah, a lot of us want to see those same things and have devoted a lot of effort to it.

The social media affect is real. It’s far more prevalent in its impact in some areas than others, and in some facets it has little to no bearing whatsoever on the current state of things. Access to elk in MT being one of them.

To that end, it’s about impossible to quantify if my hunting is better. Probably not. But, it could also be a lot worse (plagiarizing @wllm).

All good points but no one answers the simple question: If social media and promoting western hunting to gain advocates for the cause is helping then why is it getting so much worse?
Buzz, many people wish you weren’t involved at all. Nonresidents that have funded your state for years lost half their quota in the big 3 and likely the same or worse for DEA in the near future. New Mexico is likely to cut nonresident eligible quota from 16 to 10 percent. Not to mention it’s likely they will eliminate nonresident sheep tags. Colorado… who knows end result but rumblings are major cuts. Idaho new capped zones if you’ve tried for that you know the debacle. Montana at war with elk and in bed with landowner/guides. I’d bet on outfitter set asides there within the next couple years. MN and WI losing wolf seasons. BC losing grizzly seasons. Washington losing black bear seasons. Arizona eliminating unlimited otc deer. Colorado OTC elk that will be a fond memory soon. I’m sure I’m missing a bunch but damn if this is helping I’d like to try the complete opposite for awhile just to see.
Put your shoulder to the wheel, show us how it's done. Lead by example, get after it.

Nobody stopping you, but you.

What would you like me to say I make my public comments attend meetings when I have time and work 8-6 in the private sector. I didn’t ask for this. I saw some damn good years and it’s a shell of its former self. I won’t apologize for my thoughts even if they are unpopular. I truly want to see better access, more wildlife, and better hunting for everyone. You guys are riding Randy’s jock strap but no one has answered my question if your hunting has improved?
Improved for me? Hell yes.

For the first decade I hunted it was one elk, one deer in Montana. Cow permits were hard to come by, deer b tags didn't exist.

I never hunted but a single state, Montana, until 1995. I now hunt, at a minimum 3 states a year, sometimes 5 or 6.

I can buy a nr Montana deer, elk, upland bird, and fishing OTC.

I can shoot 3 elk, 2 buck deer, 2 buck pronghorn, bear, lion, wolf, 4 pronghorn does, all the doe/fawn deer I want in Wyoming.

So yeah, for me it's way better than 1979.

Improved for me? Hell yes.

For the first decade I hunted it was one elk, one deer in Montana. Cow permits were hard to come by, deer b tags didn't exist.

I never hunted but a single state, Montana, until 1995. I now hunt, at a minimum 3 states a year, sometimes 5 or 6.

I can buy a nr Montana deer, elk, upland bird, and fishing OTC.

I can shoot 3 elk, 2 buck deer, 2 buck pronghorn, bear, lion, wolf, 4 pronghorn does, all the doe/fawn deer I want in Wyoming.

So yeah, for me it's way better than 1979.
1979 sure felt better when you got up to go in the morning though. Doesn't feel the same now. Might be my age?

It’s weird that most I know struggle to get a general tag but all the extreme advocates for what we are talking about can be described as: Drawn az desert sheep tags, Henry mountains bison tags, Montana premium elk tags, Montana mountain goat tags, Montana bighorn sheep tags, az strip deer tags, ak musk ox tags. New Mexico oryx tags, Montana goat tags, primo Wyoming elk deer and antelope tags, New Mexico antelope, Montana bison, Colorado 20+ point elk (give it to me baby I got in early) az elk… yeah multiple times oh yeah and New Mexico. You get the picture. These guys got in, got theirs, and now that their points are burnt they don’t give a shit about what that means for the rest of us just hoping to get a fraction of the opportunities they’ve had.

Real world results? Sure that was mostly positive stuff, I maintain I simply haven’t seen any benefits. I’ll ask you Gerald has your hunting improved since this movement started? More wildlife in the field, more access to land, better quality of hunt? Damage done has been far greater than any improvement I have seen.
Wrong time to ask Gerald Martin if his hunting has improved. With the tags he has in his pocket I believe after this fall his answer will be yes!

It’s weird that most I know struggle to get a general tag but all the extreme advocates for what we are talking about can be described as: Drawn az desert sheep tags, Henry mountains bison tags, Montana premium elk tags, Montana mountain goat tags, Montana bighorn sheep tags, az strip deer tags, ak musk ox tags. New Mexico oryx tags, Montana goat tags, primo Wyoming elk deer and antelope tags, New Mexico antelope, Montana bison, Colorado 20+ point elk (give it to me baby I got in early) az elk… yeah multiple times oh yeah and New Mexico. You get the picture. These guys got in, got theirs, and now that their points are burnt they don’t give a shit about what that means for the rest of us just hoping to get a fraction of the opportunities they’ve had.
Opportunity isn’t just glory tags, but do carry on.

Opportunity isn’t just glory tags, but do carry on.
No your comprehension is not very good. I said most I know struggle to get general tags each year much less the countless glory tags these guys have had.

Maybe pay your dues...been at this a long time and more than earned it. Given plenty back too. I reckon some of the folks you're bitching about spend more hours advocating than you do hunting.

What makes you think you're owed something?

No your comprehension is not very good. I said most I know struggle to get general tags each year much less the countless glory tags these guys have had.
Jealous much?

How many years have you been hunting? How many tags you apply for per year?

Can't speak for others but I'm not swimming through glory tags, and the few I've drawn were a function of hundreds of applications over 42 years of applying.

You been applying for 42 years?

Last edited:
I’m fine with paying my dues. Aren’t you the one advocating ripping the carpet out from guys that have been doing that for decades??
Obviously you're not fine with paying your dues or you wouldn't have made the posts you did. You wouldn't be complaining about tags others draw that you don't.

I'm an advocate for residents in Wyoming enjoying the same privileges that residents of other states enjoy.

You have a problem with that?

If you do, I just can't find a reason why I should give a shit what you think.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back