Caribou Gear Tarp

Ram 2500 - 5.7L Hemi vs 6.4L

NWmontanaOutdoors

Delima time guys,

I am looking at a 2017 ram 2500 outdoorsman with 49k miles for right at 20,000, clean title, no accidents, etc. seems like a great deal. It’s a nice rig, my only hangup is it being a 3/4 ton and fitted with the 5.7L. I would only be hauling with this truck about five times a year, give or take, and it would be a boat to the lake or small pop up camper hunting/camping. Would be an every day driver and mostly highway, forest service roads, hunting, etc. is the 5.7L to underpowered for the 3/4 ton? Keep in mind I really don’t care much for “fast” or complimenting my testosterone levels by flooring it between traffic lights. Just a man of functionality. Do you think it would suffice well and not get 5 MPG cruising on the highway? Thanks.

Last edited:
I have the 6.4 in a 2015. It tows our 9k lb 5th wheel no problem, 8-10mpg when doing so. Gets 15-16mpg on highway not towing, 13ish mpg in town. I’ve no idea how the other engine performs. I wanted it to tow a 5th wheel so I wanted the bigger engine.

I see the Hemi is rated at 395 hp. My Tundra 5.7 is rated at 385 I believe. We towed a travel trailer to MT last weekend, probably pushing 8k wet. It pulled every single pass no problem, 60 mph at the top of each. The 5.7 Iforce is a beast of a motor, and I don't feel underpowered in any way whatsoever.

You'll get better fuel economy with the diesel when you're towing, but there are also potentially higher costs with the diesel engine. Not to mention cold weather issues. I only had a diesel gel up once on me, but it sucks when it does. If you don't experience extreme cold, it's likely not an issue.

Personally, unless you're towing a lot I'd go with a gas engine. Compare engine weights. The additional weight can lead to more frequent front end jobs, which aren't cheap on a Dodge. Also, if you do a lot of short trips on a diesel you can expect really shitty mileage, particularly in the winter.

I've had both and towed with both. I think the 6.4 did a little better but not that much. I have a buddy in West Yellowstone that pulls horse trailers weekly with his 5.7 and it does good and gets 8-10 mpg he states. I have another friend who has a 6.4 for work and 5.7 for personal. She states she likes the 5.7 better and it gets better mpg when towing. She has pulled stoke trailers with both through Bear Tooth Pass.

I had a '07 2500 with the 5.7, ran great had plenty of power. I have a '14 2500 now with the 6.4, and its also great. The 6.4 is an updated design, and the main reason I sought out the truck I have now.

I have an 08 Mega Cab with the 5.7 & have pulled a 30 ft. 5th wheel & a 17' boat behind it for many years with no issues, plenty of power.

I would only be hauling with this truck about five times a year, give or take, and it would be a boat to the lake or small pop up camper hunting/camping.
One of my favorite trucks was an '07 hemi 5.7l. Pulled everything I needed. Absolutely no problem at all with your intent +... if I recall, I believe I ran about 17mpg.
Edit added: Mine was a 1500. The 2500 gearing may eat a bit more.

Last edited:
I've been driving a '14 2500 with the 6.4L. I really like it. I don't have a comparison point for the 5.7 but the difference in tow weight and payload is not that different.

Ive got a 2017 2500 crew cab long box with the 6.4 and I really like it so far. I have a travel trailer that weighs around 4500 wet so not very much but it tows it like a breeze. Unloaded and with stock sized tires: cruise on 80 gets me 15.9 mpg and cruise on 70 gets me 19.4 mpg. Very happy with the mileage. I have since put aftermarket wheels and tires on it along with a leveling kit and I think I'm down at least 3 mpg from stock.

Been looking at upgrading from V6 (Pentastar, 305 hp). Diesel, about 10K over the HD gasser, is only worth it if you tow a lot, like, a lot. What intrigues me is the 2019 2500 6.4L 8 speed. Try finding one with the 4.10s though, I'm pretty sure the only way to get one is to win the lotto. You can find them with 3.73s around $40k-ish.

I've also thought about buying one a years older, like the OP, but, never had an HD before so if I get one it's gonna have to be really, really clean.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back