Raising some coturnix

dcopas78

This is our first attempt at hatching and raising quail. We have raised egg and meat chickens for many years. I've been looking at raising quail for a while and finally made the investment in cages, a quail only incubator and equipment. My hope is to have 5-8 sets of breeders/egg producers (20 to 40 total) that I can then produce eggs/meat for the family as well as some of my local friends. This particular breed is fast growing and maturing and will provide some variety outside of chicken eggs and meat. Looking forward to see how well it turns out.

Attachments

• 20200627_072000.jpg
    20200627_072000.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
That's very cool! I've hatched turkey, chickens, ducks, and guinea's never quail. Quail meat and eggs are delicious.

This is our first attempt at hatching and raising quail. We have raised egg and meat chickens for many years. I've been looking at raising quail for a while and finally made the investment in cages, a quail only incubator and equipment. My hope is to have 5-8 sets of breeders/egg producers (20 to 40 total) that I can then produce eggs/meat for the family as well as some of my local friends. This particular breed is fast growing and maturing and will provide some variety outside of chicken eggs and meat. Looking forward to see how well it turns out.
Don't need an incubator in Az. this year,with the abundance of rain
this winter the Gambels Quail are proliferating.
We have two coveys on our 2 1/2 acres.One has 10 poults,the other 15
and they are growing fast....Just gotta wait till'Oct. to enjoy them. 💥

I had a friend that raised them. They were easy to care for and very prolific. Very tasty too. He would pickle some of the eggs for a nice bite size treat.

I’ve thought about converting my chicken coups and trying the same thing. I get rid if the chickens a long time ago. Keep us posted.

Had looked at that some years back but decided I didn't want to put up with foxes, coons, skunks and weasels. Too many of them around to make it worthwhile.

Had looked at that some years back but decided I didn't want to put up with foxes, coons, skunks and weasels. Too many of them around to make it worthwhile.

Yeah this is somewhat a a concern around my house too. I have a kennel that I don't use any more, and I plan on putting the quail cages inside of it for an added layer of protection from the bigger predators. Hopefully my rat terriers will dissuade the rest!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back