Rainy Day Bear

I love this time of year and posts like this is one of those "main" reasons. Cool story, nice bear, and an even nicer rifle!

good job joe,,,I was out all last weekend in the wilson unit,,,2 coyotes and 16 elk but no bears yet.are you huntin south of me?

Using the old lever action 30-30 really makes for an interesting story. Congrats on a cool bear.

good job joe,,,I was out all last weekend in the wilson unit,,,2 coyotes and 16 elk but no bears yet.are you huntin south of me?

Just a little bit.... I actually thought I saw a bear off Hwy 6 this morning while hauling a load of fish up the Wilson. Couldn't stop and check but it was an interesting black spot. :cool:

Thanks again all!

I just green scored him and he is toying with making the all time B&C list. He will probably shrink into the upper 20 inch range so he'll make the awards book anyhow.

It is so nice to see the nostalgic 30-30 that you are hunting with. being a "long in the tooth hunter " like myself it brings me back to my hunting of my early teens. back in the day I would say that over 50% of the hunters when I was growing up in the late 60's carried a winchester model # 94 or a Marlin 336 in 30-30 winchester. I will never forget the first time I was allowed to venture out on my own with my trusty model 94. I never felt so grown-up and part of the hunting family. Thanks for the memories... Maybe i will bust the old timer out of the gun closet and relive the past

It is so nice to see the nostalgic 30-30 that you are hunting with. being a "long in the tooth hunter " like myself it brings me back to my hunting of my early teens. back in the day I would say that over 50% of the hunters when I was growing up in the late 60's carried a winchester model # 94 or a Marlin 336 in 30-30 winchester. I will never forget the first time I was allowed to venture out on my own with my trusty model 94. I never felt so grown-up and part of the hunting family. Thanks for the memories... Maybe i will bust the old timer out of the gun closet and relive the past

Well thanks! Glad I could remind you of some good times. I killed my first buck with this rifle at age 12 in 1978 and I can clearly recall the way it felt to pick it up and operate the action. I have told many people that I feel like a kid to this day when I take to the woods with it in my hand and it's true. Good stuff!:cool:

Well I got the skull cleaned up and figured I should share a few pictures that show just how tough bears really are!

Here is the skull looking pretty much normal...
IMG_4477.jpg

Here is the lower jaw. It had been broken on both sides at some point and the one side had grown back together but there was a gap on the other side.
IMG_4478.jpg

Here is the angle his jaw was at when I killed him.
IMG_4480.jpg

IMG_4482.jpg

This bear was as healthy and happy as any I have ever killed. Rolling in fat for a spring bear! Based on the large scar across his snout I assume he got in a battle with a larger boar at some point and ended up with his jaw broken and a gash in the nose. It's a tough life being a male bear.....

BTW, I spoke too soon on him making B&C. Not quite once I got him cleaned up. I will blame my taxidermist as he told me he would easily go 20" when I asked him if he scored the skull. When I got it home it was frozen and there must have been flesh on the end of it. Won't be the last time I stick my foot in my mouth! :eek: Still a really nice bear and I couldn't be happier. :)

Congrats on a very nice bear. I struck out in Idaho this year but enjoyed the time in the field. Wish I were still out there.

Back