Rainy Day Bear

Joe Hulburt

Well I hunted pretty hard over the weekend and just as I was finishing up my last setup attempting to call in a bear it started raining. I looked at my phone and it showed three days of rain so I decided I would get some stuff done around home for a few days....

Got home from work tonight and fixed dinner and noticed the rain (that had been heavy most of the day) had stopped and the driveway was even drying out. :excited: Change of plans, I am going hunting Dear, be home after dark. So off I go and drive about 30 minutes and it starts to pour again and the thermometer in the truck drops to 42 degrees and I am shaking my head why I am even out there. I decided I might as well check out the spot as I hadn't been in there since archery season. I hiked into the vantage point and the first thing I see is black on green! :excited: I pulled out my rangefinder and he was 157 yards. That is easily doable for the old 30-30 but the wind was howling in my face and bears and not the toughest critters to stalk so I decided to get a closer look. About 10 minutes later I am laying across a stump at 65 yards and trying to decide if I was going to shoot or not so I snapped a quick picture with my point and shoot camera and thankfully the flash didn't scare the bear. :doh:

IMG_4460.jpg

I could tell he wouldn't be the biggest bear I have killed but he had the forearms of a mature boar and I couldn't think of a reason to pass other than I didn't really want to deal with a dead bear in the dark and rain but my itchy trigger finger made the call.

He wheeled and ran about 30 yards and and the lights went out in mid stride! He dropped right in a little creek...
IMG_4461.jpg

I didn't notice it until a little later but if you look close at this picture he had a broken lower jaw at some point and it didn't line up right with the upper. Scared up nose too!

The old 30-30 has certainly put the fun back in rifle hunting for me! A couple years ago I would have been kicking myself for not having my bow as I am pretty sure this guy would easily go P&Y and it would't have been hard to cut the distance a little more but to be honest that old gun is too much fun to leave at home. :) That is five shots at big game with in now....

IMG_4463.jpg

Good luck to everybody who still has a tag! I will be missing bear hunting while I am chasing Springers the month of May. :)

Very nice Joe! You and that 30-30 have been on a roll. Thanks for sharing with us

I like that. That is a good bear. I can promise you if I see one like that this week, I will be shooting. No visible rubs in the pic, making me think you got a great hide off that one.

Cool how you hunt those with a .30-30. Mind sharing what you were shooting out of that rifle for bear?

My dad had an ancient Marlin 336C in that round that he used for deer in the thick woods of northern MN. I think his rifle had to be one of the first off the assembly line. The one you are shooting looks like a Winchester '94.

Thanks guys!

I like that. That is a good bear. I can promise you if I see one like that this week, I will be shooting. No visible rubs in the pic, making me think you got a great hide off that one.

Cool how you hunt those with a .30-30. Mind sharing what you were shooting out of that rifle for bear?

My dad had an ancient Marlin 336C in that round that he used for deer in the thick woods of northern MN. I think his rifle had to be one of the first off the assembly line. The one you are shooting looks like a Winchester '94.

Yep, it's a Model 94 my Dad bought me when I was 12 and it's been sitting in my closet for years. Last spring I got the notion to mount the Leupold Scout Scope on it and would say that is by far the best idea I have ever had when it comes to firearms.:) I am shooting the new Hornady LeveRevelution ammo. They put a plastic tip on them which allows for a pointed bullet that supposedly shoots a bit faster and flatter than the round tip ones that have been standard for tube magazines. If you sight in 2" high at 100 yards they claim it will hit around 9" low at 300 but so far I am keeping it as a 200 yard max gun which caused me to miss a chance at a good boar last week but I don't mind the trade off. They are 160 grain bullets and it passed clear thru this bear which I estimate to be around 300 pounds. On the 400 + pounder I killed last May 1 found the bullet next to the hide on the off side. Neither of them went more than 30 yards. :)

Outstanding hide on this guy! 6' 2" from nose to tail. Not sure what to do with him yet but I will figure something out....

That is a hog, congrats on an awesome hunt.
Drive, hop out, walk to your 'spot', range and drop the hammer.
Were you home in time for dinner? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back