MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Rainbow Gathering

wytex

The Rainbow Gathering has their permits for SW Colorado in August. Might affect archery hunting down around Norwood. They are not a "neat" family, prepare to find a big mess left behind.

Meh. Like most hunters, betting they wont get more then a mile from the road. :) If you get a big bull down maybe go over and ask a couple to help you pack it out.

I'm not sure when their permit dates are but you can bet many will still be in the forest long after the official gathering is over. They will affect the hunting in the area and I wouldn't leave any of my camping stuff un-attended.

Thats not what I thought it was. If they are a peacefull nonviolence group why do they leave such a crap pile behind them. I would think they would want a better image. Sounds like ragbry in Iowa. Ive heard multiple people say they never want them to go through there town again because they leave the place trashed. Never seen it myself thats just what I was told.

I went to a Rainbow Gathering back in the 90s. They were in a canyon on the west flank of the Jarbidge Mountains, on the Nevada/Idaho border, in country that I was used to running through and knew very well. I thought it would be party central and something like a mini-Woodstock. I hiked down a mile of canyon at the witching hour, coming across many small, separate camps of five or six people. No one was partying. I did not feel welcome and I felt out of place. I wandered off into the Owyhee Desert were I always feel welcome. :D

"There have been incidents of theft, rape, stabbings and other violence. In an effort at self-policing and conflict resolution, Rainbow attendees have created a method they call "Shanti Sena," that involve peaceful noviolent community response to issues. It is used in emergencies or serious conflict, as a call for help, and responders with a variety of skills show up to help facilitate a solution to the problem. [11]

There were three non-fatal stabbings at a gathering in Colorado in 2014.[12][13] In early 2015 there was a fatal shooting at a gathering in Florida."

Sounds like a bunch of wonderful, peace-loving people...:rolleyes:

Montana has had them here for two or three years. They bring a rash of crime with them as they pass through to where they are holding the events. Communities on the route to these sites see a very real spike in thefts and other crimes. In addition they make a complete mess of things where these are held. The Forest Service and other groups will spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in clean-up. I pray for you folks. It is not pretty.

The folks that go to these things are from what I could tell 90% or greater unemployed, and there is a very high use-age of drugs and alcohol. Great combination.

I'm not sure how true this is, but I was around Jackson Hole 8 years ago when the Rainbow People had their gathering. One of the ranch hands at the ranch I was at had a dog. The ranch hand gave the dog the weirdest haircut I have ever seen. He had heard the Rainbow People steal and trade dogs as currency, and he wanted his to be the ugliest one anyone has ever seen to deter the Rainbows from stealing him. The Rainbows are a dirty people.

They had a get together here in the coast range this spring. Bunch of smelly characters. First time I've seen a panhandler in Hebo, Oregon.

Wow this really stinks. I've been planning my first elk hunt all year and now two days before I leave I find out this is going on in the area I planned on hunting. Any advice or suggestions on where to go from now? Also thanks for posting this for a heads up. It would have been shock to drive up on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back