Rain pants vs gaiters?

Gaiters or rain pants?

• Gaiters

• Rain pants

• Both

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
I voted both. I always bring a pair of gators on every hunt I do. I have two pairs, the shorter, less waterproof ones come along in the summer and September antelope hunts. The knee high waterproofs come along on all fall hunts in the high country of CO. When it comes to rain pants, they are my final layer and last line of defense. I always bring them on late season hunts for moisture and holding warmth in on those cold hillsides. I guess if weather was looking in the 60s during the day and no moisture forecasted I would consider leaving them but I have been snowed on 12” with that forecast before 1st season ek in Co so I don’t usually leave any layers behind:
Exactly like 90% of the time rain pants get used when I’m glassing and it’s really windy.

I wear my gaiters ( Cabelas Gore Tex Gaiters circa 1998) every time in the woods. Whether hunting, hiking, shed or mushroom hunting, scouting, etc.. you get the picture. They keep out dust, dirt, burrs, deter ticks and keep my laces from getting snagged on something. Great for morning dew as well when walking in.

That said, I always pack rain pants when on a backpack hunt. Goretex rolls up small and is a lifesaver.

Wet, regardless of the temperatures equals cold to me. I'd lose something else before I left behind a way to stay dry.
Rain pants.
Skip the gaiters unless there is a couple of inches of snow on the ground or you are worried about debris in your boots.

I am more of a minimalist and take only rain paints.
I'm trying to be minimal but have found that when I wear the gaiters I catch my feet/pants on less without wearing a tighter pant on my calves. I want it for waterproofness and the Kings Camo ones I got do a decent job at that but I do feel like my feet still get wetter then I'd like. But I think that may be a boot problem.

I never wear or pack rain pants. I’ll wear gaiters in most moist situations. If it’s raining too hard, I’ll sit under a tree until it passes.

This is Idaho with annual rainfall of 11 inches.

I hate gaiters unless there is measurable snow that will push up under my pants or there are lots of creek crossings. In those cases I hate not having gaiters.

Rain pants stay in the truck most of the time on day hunts unless the weather dictates otherwise. If packing in it's usually nice to have them along unless you're in a really dry area with a clear forecast.

I remember a couple different archery hunts in the Gravellies in SW Montana where I would have given a lot of money for rain pants and/or gaiters.

I’d take both. Weighs less than a pack of smokes.

I tend to sweat wayyyy too much in rain pants. I can only use them if I’m just sitting and not walking around. I prefer gaiters

I want to try to just wear a thin base layer and my rain pants in the future. But currently I definitely just wear the pants and Gaiters and then throw those on when I'm sitting in rain or wind.

In the 80s I bought a pair of Filson rain chaps. Extremely light, resists wood ticks, and still in great condition. I don't know if they still make them.

If it’s actively raining I wear rain pants. If it’s just wet ground and brush, or there’s snow, I go with the gaiters. I hate being wet and am ok spending a lot of money to stay dry.

Another thing about gaiters, which is probably not much of am issue out west, is that on dew soaked mornings with knee high grass, they are the cats meow.
It still does big time. If you’re staying in the timber, it could last til late afternoon.. still, it’s nothing like the Midwest or the south… Texas Miss. Lousiana, shiiiitttt nobody knows moisture like you folks…

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back