Rain pants vs gaiters?

Gaiters or rain pants?

• Gaiters

• Rain pants

• Both

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.

maconbacon

For a backcountry, backpacking in by foot hunt would you go with gaiters (paired with a water resistant pant), rain pants, both or neither?

I’ve been on two western elk hunts. One where we got caught in a blizzard and I was glad I had gaiters and rain pants. Of course that was packing with mules so weight wasn’t an issue. Last year, I was packing in on foot and only brought rain paints. The thought being they could be used for rain or snow of any kind. Didn’t really use them except for an added layer of warmth while glassing. I’m thinking this year about bringing the gaiters back and packing a light weight set of puffy pants for warmth, leave the rain pants behind to save on weight. This would leave my thighs open to getting wet in the event of a big rain or snow storm. Thoughts?

Both, and I wear both most of the time sheep and goat hunting. I like rain pants for the obvious reasons, and for me gaiters really shine when doing creek crossings, and in general just helping to keep most of my boot dry throughout the day while in a wet environment.

Totally depends on the forecast. If going more than 5-6 days prob both. I rarely carry rain pants in summer and early season unless heavy sustained rain is expected. Decent hiking/wind pants dry very fast.

If it’s cold enough to need puffy pants it’s not going to be raining, or usually even snowing in the Rockies IME. There are always exceptions of course.

I did neither for decades and I haven't lost any body parts. But I have had hypothermia.

Only in 2020 did I jump into technical gear. Now I'm all in.

I laugh when people say, "Buy Once, Cry Once." But now the boys are on their own we are in a place where we can do that. For many years this stuff was not in the budget.

We rarely have rain where we hunt but sometimes it does snow during late season hunts. I like to use gaiters that come up to my knees to keep my pant bottoms dry and even when it's dry out they keep dirt and stickers out of my boots and off my socks.

DSCN0692.JPG

Last edited:
Almost always wear gaiters. Keeps junk out of boots and pant legs from snagging and ripping on branches especially in mess of down trees. Plus when sitting pants come up ankles exposed making me colder. My rain pants double as wind pants so always have them when in cold weather and put on over down pants. Usually have rain pants over gaiters keeps water from climbing up pant legs underneath rain pants.

Both. That said I have yet to pull my rain pants out of my pack on a September western hunt. I still carry them just in case.

I voted both, but my gaiters see a whole lot more use than my rain britches. But, when I've used my rain pants I've been very happy to have them. I use them sparingly enough that I haven't spent big money on any. The ones I have are from Red Ledge and have a full length leg zipper. I find this really helps in getting them on over other layers.

I voted both. I always bring a pair of gators on every hunt I do. I have two pairs, the shorter, less waterproof ones come along in the summer and September antelope hunts. The knee high waterproofs come along on all fall hunts in the high country of CO. When it comes to rain pants, they are my final layer and last line of defense. I always bring them on late season hunts for moisture and holding warmth in on those cold hillsides. I guess if weather was looking in the 60s during the day and no moisture forecasted I would consider leaving them but I have been snowed on 12” with that forecast before 1st season ek in Co so I don’t usually leave any layers behind:

I wear gaiters 100% of the time and if it is raining I try to throw my packable rain gear on. I'm looking at getting some Helly Hansen Impertech for some Alaska Coastal hunts this year but currently am running Kuiu Chugach Rain Gear.

I voted both.

I normally wear gators, because reasons, and always have the rain paints packed. Probably have only used them once in September, but when we got 6" of snow it was really glad I had them. Have used them multiple times later in the year. The colder it gets, the more they come out.

Growing up in the North Idaho rain forest taught me real quick that wet is cold and miserable, even if it's 70 degrees out.

I’m from western Washington and rain pants are a must even during the early season. In eastern Washington, gaiters have proved to be a great asset. As others have said, being wet regardless of the temperature is still being wet. I’d definitely pack both since weight won’t be a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back