Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Railroad owned access point?

PaulRevere

I have a spot that is only accessible via a chunk of land owned by Burlington Northern/Santa Fe. There are no railroad tracks on this chunk, rather the tracks are across the road. I know that the railroad and FWP do not typically allow access via railroad property, but seeing how this piece of land is void of tracks I am wondering if they give a hoot if I cross? Does anyone do this or have any input? I have seen other trucks parked there (I assume they are hunting it) and there are no safety concerns. I see on BNSF's website they offer land access permits but they take four weeks to process. Thanks in advance for any info. There is a bowl way back there that is absolutely gorgeous, but thought I oughta' not be a dumbass and just continue to go with it... ha!

You cannot use an old railroad bed with or without tracks. It is still private property and from what I gather they don't allow it for use of access to public lands.

I have done it and the last time I did I got pinched for it. Total bullshit deal IMO. I may or may not still use it for sheds🤣

You cannot use an old railroad bed with or without tracks. It is still private property and from what I gather they don't allow it for use of access to public lands.

I have done it and the last time I did I got pinched for it. Total bullshit deal IMO. I may or may not still use it for sheds🤣
Okay, thanks for the heads up. You're a real buzz kill. I guess I won't carry my rifle up there..but may or may not check it out again.

Last edited:
I’m not trying to be smart as. I’m just preparing you for the railroad.

I have a little experience with RR. One of the first meetings I remember at my current job involved the RR. We were trying to build a handicapped accessible fishing pier starting on public land, extending under a public road bridge, a railroad bridge and out along the Mississippi River which is owned by United States fish and wildlife service in this particular spot. All of which would have been under the high water mark. As the RR representative walked in the door without saying hi or anything he simply said “I do not know why I am here because we are not allowing you access under our bridge”

That particular RR was CP, but a google search of burlington northern and public access will let you know there thoughts on allowing people to cross the railroad to access public land.

Back