Raccoons

My brother has caught around 40 in his chicken coop this summer. He has a guy that works for him that would rather eat fried coon than fried chicken! So maybe find someone who like coon meat a lot!

I have had coons kill every type of small animal I had ever kept as pets outside (turtles, chickens, quail). They hit and scatter the garbage, tear everything up, serve as a vector for rabies, raid birdhouses, destroy gardens and crops, break into attics or sheds, dig up every wild turtle nest, including wreaking havoc on our local rare species, eat all kinds of bird eggs including game species, and their shit contains parasites that are deadly to other wildlife and which are the main reason for the near extinction of Allegheny woodrats (not a pest) in many areas. I would guiltlessly support killing every one if I could and feed them to the maggots.

What do a lot of people do with groundhogs when they kill them? Sometime a nuisance is just a nuisance.
My grandma told me they ate them at her house when she was little. She said she’d be happy to have one if I helped her cook it. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) time did not allow for it.

I'd love to know too because we have the same problem here. 5 years ago when prices were good, trappers in the area were out in full force and doing a great job keeping them in check. With no one trapping these last few years, the population is crazy and it's noticeable in the amount of pheasants and turkeys running around. I have three hen turkey groups on my property all with either just 1 or 2 little ones left. Normally by fall it's 4 to 8
I've been trapping them for the past 2-3 years at my house and have seen more poults. May be anecdotal but we went from 1-2 poults to 10-12 last two years

What do a lot of people do with groundhogs when they kill them? Sometime a nuisance is just a nuisance.
My dad crockpotted a younger one I shot. It wasn't bad but certainly not top 10 either.

My dad crockpotted a younger one I shot. It wasn't bad but certainly not top 10 either.
My pawpaw used to tell about eating young ones too. My grandmother told me how they use to catch possums and feed them sweet taters to get the nasty taste out of them before they killed them.

What do you guys do with them when nobody will even buy them? I usually wouldn’t trap them with fur buyers not even interested, but we are absolutely overrun with them. I’m not solely blaming them for our turkey population plummeting, but they don’t help.

My son is 9 and enjoys trapping like I did as a kid, so I’m gonna try to thin them out. I just hate killing critters that there is no purpose for. I did get an offer of $1 for sny XXL or bigger raccoon skulls. Burn $10 in propane to get $1. Sounds s out as profitable as most my business ventures.

I’ve never seen raccoons like this. When I was in HS I ran a trap line before school of about 20 traps. I’d catch 6-8 every night. Back then I’d get $5-$15 for them so I was doing pretty good. I bet if we ran 10 traps now we’d catch 9-10 a night for a solid month.

My wife wanted a new sheet/comforter set for our bed. I told her I could skin all the coons out, tan them and sew them together.

That idea got shot down pretty quickly. She’s no mountain woman.🤣

So other than skinning them and keeping them in a freezer for eternity in hopes future prices go up, or throwing them in a ditch what do you guys do with them?
We're overrun with them as well.

Caught several in cat sets last winter. We skinned and put up the first one just to show the Boyd how it's done. The rest fed the coyotes(which need thinned out too.)

Talked to a buddy that traps a lot of cats and coyotes. Asked him what he does and he says he skins the biggest ones for $2. The rest go in a ditch. He said if he turns them loose he'll lose permission....good point I thought.

What do you guys do with them when nobody will even buy them? I usually wouldn’t trap them with fur buyers not even interested, but we are absolutely overrun with them. I’m not solely blaming them for our turkey population plummeting, but they don’t help.

My son is 9 and enjoys trapping like I did as a kid, so I’m gonna try to thin them out. I just hate killing critters that there is no purpose for. I did get an offer of $1 for sny XXL or bigger raccoon skulls. Burn $10 in propane to get $1. Sounds s out as profitable as most my business ventures.

I’ve never seen raccoons like this. When I was in HS I ran a trap line before school of about 20 traps. I’d catch 6-8 every night. Back then I’d get $5-$15 for them so I was doing pretty good. I bet if we ran 10 traps now we’d catch 9-10 a night for a solid month.

My wife wanted a new sheet/comforter set for our bed. I told her I could skin all the coons out, tan them and sew them together.

That idea got shot down pretty quickly. She’s no mountain woman.🤣

So other than skinning them and keeping them in a freezer for eternity in hopes future prices go up, or throwing them in a ditch what do you guys do with them?
Stocker start out small. First make some lovely throw pillows fir, I mean for, the bed and the couch then work your way up to sheet and comforter.

OK - who's gonna be the first to make a coon-ghillie suit.

And who would be brave enough to wear one in the field, knowing there are other people with guns about.....
I was gonna wear it to the PETA rally I have to attend for my self imposed punishment when I grounded Neffa3 and then pardoned him. I wanna look my best.

something keeps getting them around me. I never see or hear them, but then I'll look out in the yard the the dog is rolling on one that's been dead for a couple of weeks.

My pawpaw used to tell about eating young ones too. My grandmother told me how they use to catch possums and feed them sweet taters to get the nasty taste out of them before they killed them.
My grandaddy from west central Georgia talked about doing the same thing. He said it "took the grease out of em"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back